Home Chat General Chat

Starting out in tri....any advice?

Hi all,

I'm not a total novice, I was a middle distance runner and I have dabbled in the cycling world, MTB and road, and I am a swim coach.....so triathlon was the obvious path.

But, how do you marry all the disciplines training together?

What kind of bike set up is good?

I plan on doing a sprint event in June 600M swim, 16km bike and 6km run.

Any Help would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Niall K

Comments

• garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    Hi Raven6

You can get whatever advice you need from this forum, but your question is possibly a little too broad, you need to break it down into easy to digest chunks to get the answers/advice that you are looking for.

There's a great bunch of people here, they have helped me a great deal [:D]
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Raven,

Welcome to the world of Tri and say hi to Gary, he's famous he is!!!

There is search facility on the fourm which will help in relation to your question about the bike. You can basically do a tri on a mountain bike if you wanted, although I'd recommend getting a pukka road bike.

Much depends on budget, if you only have £350 then you will get what you pay for. I speak from experience, I bought a budget end bike at £400ish and have spent that again on modifying it.

In terms on marrying the disciplines together, it all about practice and remember there are four disciplines and not three - the fourth is the silent killer ie transition.

One of the hardest parts of tri is going from bike to run as when you come off the bike you will have jelly legs and you've got to train to cope. Best way is a brick session ie after a lengthy cycle, get off the bike and go for a run. The first time you do this you will see what we mean by jelly legs.

The biggest thing is to get practicing and practice hard. You'll reap the benefits on the first tri.

again, do a search on the forum and you'll see all the guys and gals giving good advice to you. I was there myself and only happy to pass on what little knowledge I had. (cue conehead!!)

Conehead will tell you to buy his book, and you should as it will tell you everything you need to know.

• willtriwilltri Posts: 436
    Just working on a checklist for my first tri - plus i've been noting a few tips..

Hope this helps.

Will.

[color=#2f4f4f]Swimming[/color]

Tri suit

Wristwatch

Goggles + backup pair

Swim cap from race bag + backup cap

Wet suit

Timing chip neoprene band (optional)

Ear plugs (optional)

Nose plugs

[color=#2f4f4f]Biking[/color]

Bicycle with bike number attached

Bike helmet

Bike shoes

Bike pump

Spare tyre kit

Water bottle or Camelback

Socks

Bike gloves

Sunglasses

[color=#2f4f4f]Running[/color]

Running Shoes

Race belt with number attached

[color=#2f4f4f]Transition Area[/color]

Towel

Talc

Gel / Power Bar / Other nutrition; may want to tape these to your bike

Extra water bottle

Body glide

Lip balm

Sunscreen

Bike tools

Large pump

Black marker to avoid standing in body marking line

Toilet paper

Small basin for washing feet (optional)

Vaseline (optional)

Anti-fog for goggles (optional)

Large trash bag for wet gear

Helium balloon for locating your stuff or so your friends can locate you (optional)

[color=#2f4f4f]TIPS[/color]

Have chain on big cogs - stops it falling off in transition

Talc in socks

Last mile spin faster - can then run

Start bike - don't push too high a gear. Will get tired later on.

Running - Start with a shorter stride than usual

Towel on floor next to bike

lay kit out in reverse order

Practise transitions
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    Willtri, That is brilliant, the helium ballon is much better than the mickey mouse towl i was planning on putting down to identify my bike/kit in transition (although it not being a cervelo or naked black carbon i shouldn't have a problem finding it), although i would add not to tie it to the bike itself, you might feel a little silly getting all aero just to be pulling a ballon round behind you!
    Willtri, That is brilliant, the helium ballon is much better than the mickey mouse towl i was planning on putting down to identify my bike/kit in transition (although it not being a cervelo or naked black carbon i shouldn't have a problem finding it), although i would add not to tie it to the bike itself, you might feel a little silly getting all aero just to be pulling a ballon round behind you!

Can't take responsibilty for the baloon idea (or for much of list for that matter)!!! Was thinking of having a stick with a wee flag on it.

Would love to someone fly by with a baloon trailuing behind them though!! [:D]
  • learn how to urinate yourself.
    learn how to urinate yourself.

Dedications what you need...
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    I had considered the flag idea (i was thinking of a pirate flag as I live in greenwich and they are available) but thought that knowing my luck it would fall over or i'd find that it blew off into a tree/caused a crash/name your own disaster. I will seriously consider the baloon idea...i wonder if i can find one in naked black carbon?
    i wonder if i can find one in naked black carbon?

Best i can find is this.....

[color=#666600]http://img.nauticexpo.com/images_ne/photo-g/carbon-flag-staff-192206.jpg[/color]

[color=#666600][/color]

• SamRSamR Posts: 19
    I believe that it against the rules to mark your transition area in any way (i.e baloons/flags). A bright towel on the floor is all that is allowed.
  • garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    Excellent stuff WillTri - i will be using your list this weekend......thanks
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    willtri wrote:

[color=#2f4f4f]Transition Area[/color]

Towel

Talc

Gel / Power Bar / Other nutrition; may want to tape these to your bike

Extra water bottle

Body glide

Lip balm

Sunscreen

Bike tools

Large pump

Black marker to avoid standing in body marking line

Toilet paper

[size=7]Small basin for washing feet (optional) (WTF!!!!!!!)

[/size]

Vaseline (optional)

Anti-fog for goggles (optional)

Large trash bag for wet gear

Helium balloon for locating your stuff or so your friends can locate you (optional)

WTF??? Small basin for washing in?? and a bed to have a wee nap in when you get tired maybe???