Home Chat General Chat

Panic sets in...

Hi everyone, [:D]

I need some help! Due to circumstances beyond my control my triathlon training has gone to pot and with less than 6 weeks to go till my first Olympic am beginning to panic a little. Up till a month ago i was running about 3 times a week, cycling 5 times a week (to and from work) and swimming about once a week or whenever I could fit it in. At the moment i am still cycling 4 or 5 times a week and running 2 or 3 times a week, not much luck fitting swimming in, and with time running out i do need to kick myself in the butt and get training. Does anyone have any tips - I am a novice traithlete, hoping to complete the distance within 3 to 3.5 hours although to be honest just finishing will be fine for me. On top of that i am taking part in a 200 mile relay race in Oregon at end of August, of which i will have to run 16-20 miles in 3 segments so would like to concentrate on running mainly.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

Gilly [:(]

Comments

• WellaWella Posts: 188
    Gilly,

I've just completed my first tri although I went for a sprint distance first. Not as brave as you.

I had a similar panic set in about 3 weeks before the race to do with my swimming. I had trained well during the early stages and as the race approached I felt I hadn't done enough. I was confident that my bike and run fitness was good enough to complete the distance so I switched my training to allow for swims 2 to 3 times a week for the last 3 weeks. I then did a bike/run brick at the weekends with another run midweek. I too cycle a short distance to work which was good enough for the bike training.

I have to admit I was spurred on by some excellent advise from the others on this forum. They've got good experience so take their advice.

I'm sure you will be fine and you've still got 4 weeks to the race.

Best of luck. Wish I was doing London.

Wella
  • Thanks Wella,

Am supposed to be doing the Bananaman Sprint tri in about 11 days time and do need to concentrate on my swimming for now. I cycle about 4 or 5 miles a day so will do a long ride at the weekend hopefully. 4 weeks is a long time and I need to get my confidence back, as i said beofre am not too bothered about how long it takes.

Will let you know how i got on!

regards

Gilly

• PC67PC67 Posts: 101
    Error whilst Doing a Replacement, Error in srv_convert.
  • CenzoCenzo Posts: 91
    Gilly,

Let me know the following & I'll hopefully be able to offer some advice.

What kind of swimmer are you? for example do you get out of the pool in a right state? Or is it a comfortable pursuit?

Can you, or have you done 1500m in one go? If so any idea on a time? If not, what's the furthest you have swum?

Heve you swum open water, or even in a wetsuit before?

Unless you're after race wins or pb's the idea for a novice is to get out of the swim in as good a state as possible, you could cane yourself in the swim for only 3 or 4 minutes gain which you'll easily recoup if feeling good on the bike / run.

Let me know on the qusetions & you'll be fully prepared in no time at all!
  • guv001guv001 Posts: 227
    I would say get down the pool and see if you can complete the distance 1500m 60 lengths. It doesn't matter about speed just concerntrate on doing the distance.