Home Chat General Chat

Why am I so rubbish at cycling?

Here I am, three weeks before my first sprint tri (albeit a baby one) and my cycling is getting progressively worse! I swim for between half hour to an hour fisrt thing in the morning and as I I work about 5 miles from the leisure centre I cycle in and zig zag across the moor to get it up to nearly 10 miles. Initially I was doing the 10 mile in and then the straight 5 miles home but as I am now at the build stage I am doing it 4 days a week plus a 5k run at lunchtime. On the fifth day I run in then cycle home with just a 5k walk at lunchtime. Saturday I have as my rest day as I am working anyway in a different place close to home. Sunday I do a 5 - 10k run and a 25 to 35 mile LSD on the bike - no swim though.

I put effort in all the time and my running is getting a lot better, as is my swimming but my bike is going in reverse! Admittedly I do only have a ladies Giant hybrid which is hard work but that surely should make me better? I do feel a lot of the time that the bike is fighting against me but have no dosh to upgrade to a racer yet.

I don't lack much in the way of energy, don't get tired during the day or any of that stuff and as the other stuff is going well, I don't think I can be overtraining.

I have read the bike power thread etc but they sometimes seem to contradict each other with some saying to stay on the big ring and power up the hills, staying in the saddle as long as humanly possible, while others say to spin it out on training rides. I tried the powering bit but it doesn't seem to get much easier, and if I spin it out I get nowhere fast, although I am quite comfortable.

Any stunning thoughts?

Comments

• are you carrying any urine whilst cycling?
  • danny_sdanny_s Posts: 235
    One thing I notice is that when I'm cycling to another training, I don't push it like a "real" training session since its really just transport to the pool or where I'm running. This leaves me just floating along and not the real hammering intervals that you can do over a 10 mile course that get your legs used to the exertion.

The bike shouldn't make much difference, you'll get faster as long as you're putting in the energy but obviously when you can upgrade, you'll see a satisfying jump in speed. My advice is just to do some dedicated rides when you can really put everything into it. Maybe while coming home from the pool, instead of taking the longer way there would work for you.

• jacjac Posts: 452
    Cheryl,

Currently I'm doing at least three bike sessions a week, sometimes four.

One is a longer ride, incorporating weaknesses, one is a shorter ride at race pace, and the other a high intensity intervals session. I've seen pretty good improvements in times, av speed etc..doing that.

With regards to hills working in the big cog will help with power and was something I did in the base period. As far as race strategy is concerned I plan to use a lower gear at a cadence of 75-80 so that I've got plenty at the top and on the flat.

Do you have a cadence monitor?
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    What sort of cyclist are you? How experienced? Have you ever raced before on the bike. Did you cycle when you were a kid?

There is a lot more to cycling than meets the eye - my Tri Club does workshop in key bike skills - which can be very useful in working out how to get the best out of your steed - from cornering, gear selection etc, applying power vs. just spinning etc. Core foundation skills that you need to have mastered to succeed in going fast, effectively!

Secondly, it is hard to "race" on a bike - much easier to "tour" - when compared to running. There is pretty much a step change from walking to running. Whereas the equivalent in cycling is very gentle/steady progression. Unless you've got some experience of racing, or been out with people who have, it can be pretty hard to get things to click - to enable you to expend the effort. Something like a structured Turbo session can help. But not as good as getting some sessions in with someone a bit experienced.

I really think that you should find someone with some racing experience to go out for a ride with. Joining a cycling club - or just going a long for a tryout - might be options... finding some nice friendly 10 mile TTs near you might also be good.

I can feel a poll coming on.
  • BARNYBARNY Posts: 157
    I think you ned to lose the junk.

Swim, Cycle, run, cycle every day? That really is just too much... even if you didnt swim every day.

I would reduce the number of sessions you have and concentrate on quality.

Why not try:

Day 1 - before work: Quality Swim followed by short cycle to work..... after work: run home.

Day 2 - Before work: Run to work ... after work: Elongated ride home.

Day 3 - As per day 1.

Day 4 - As per day 2

Day 5 - Before work: Swim followed by short cycle to work..... After work - brick session - long ride home followed by run. (you have the saturday to recover from this hardest session.

Remember that the more cycling you do will improve your running..

Save brick for special sessions not every time / day

good luck

• I totally understand! My cycling is also slow and I don't think there is much of difference when I use my hybrid or road bike. Admittedly I only manage one long ride a week and am trying to get out again during the week - I've been told it's all about time on the saddle. But sounds as if you are doing quite a bit - maybe your legs need more time to recover.

It would be good to hear if there are certain sessions that would help build up speed/power on the bike. It was depressing for me when the whole field came past me during a duathlon a did the other week!
  • Jelly legsJelly legs Posts: 278
    WHAT DO YOU CONSIDER SLOW ?

What is your 20 km Time and Average speed for that distance ?
  • Cheryl6162Cheryl6162 Posts: 356
    @ Comanighttrain - only in my chamois!

@ Jelly legs - we are talking REALLY slow ie 38 mins to do 10 miles of rolling hills, none hugely massive but quite a few long drawn out ones. The climb into work is fairly steady.

Thanks everyone for your advice, I think quality is the answer here isn't it - ie do harder but specific training.

I like the training plan regarding running one way cycling the other - will do that.

Have also just been measured for a bike by bike lab so hopefully will be buying an entry level racer from them and then I will REALLY have run out of excuses! Thanks guys and gals x

16k in 38 mins

so 20k should be about 47.5 mins which would put you easily in the top 50% of most 20k Races, Your being to hard on your self.

Your background is not a sporting one, so unfortunatly you will only ever get good up to a point.

If i'm honest you might take a maximum of 5 mins of that, but it wont ever get much better.
  • JessterJesster Posts: 482
    Ey mate i reckon Jelly Legs is right, youre being way too hard on yourself. I reckon we're about the same speed (and I'm certainly not outstanding by any stretch) and i think of myself as 'competently average'!

You'll definitely hold your own on may 10th, reckon you'll kick a few butts to boot. probably mine too! Grrr!
    http://www.tri247.com/results_4701.html

Have a look at these results, the guy that won did his 20km in 36 mins so your about 10 mins slower ( at the mo),

or 5 mins per 10k

or 2.30 every 5 k

or 1.15 every 2.5 km

or 45 sec per 1.25 km

But i will say reading your post's if you dont know exactly what your 20 km time is, you def wont get any better.

Doing just the distance your race is wont help with your speed/power at all.

(if i'm wrong about the 20 km time, sorry, just get a feeling you have only trained at race distance).
  • GGGG Posts: 82
    Cycling in my humble opinion has to be the hardest bit. I wouldnt worry to much about times at the moment.

I was advised by a well respected cyclist that you are best to spin smaller gears at 90-100rpm. I believe it takes years of spinning to get your legs in good shape.

Also surley this has to be better than beasting a massive gear, sh*aging you legs, only to get off your bike and run.

GG

• Cheryl - you're faster than me!

Don't be to hard on yourself, you'll get quicker, just takes time.
    we are talking REALLY slow ie 38 mins to do 10 miles of rolling hills, none hugely massive but quite a few long drawn out ones. The climb into work is fairly steady.

Hmm.. That's not slow! Rolling hills - makes a huge difference. A decent bike will make 5 or 6 minutes of difference. You've not got the adrenaline of a race. If you can go over 20 mph that's pretty decent - 6 mins for a better bike, 2 mins for the hills, 2 mins for a race face - and you've got a 10 in 28 mins.

[A rough rule of thumb 20mph is the kind of slowest that you want to do for a TT. That's 30 minutes. 25 mph is pretty decent (24 minutes). 30 mph is elite (20 mins) - That's for blokes of course.... ]

Thanks everyone, you have made me feel a lot better and given me renewed vigour to get out there and do it rather than whinge about it!

To be honest, if I could knock 5 or 6 minutes off that time I would be a lot happier.

I'll change my bike comp to k's rather than mph (thats an age thing I guess) and monitor it that way.

I do try to do over distance at least once a week in my training and tougher spurts at shorter distance and to vary the route and terrain but I am a bit limited in my route in to work. Now the evenings are lighter I'll have to overshoot the home mark a couple of times a week to get maybe 5 extra miles in. I do always do at least 25 and more often 35 miles at least once a week.

@ Jesster; I've seen those cornish hills - you must have legs like Frogman if you are regulary riding those! I reckon all I'll see is a smiley flashing past......

Seriously, thanks everyone for your encouragement - very rare for me to get down about anything but this morning I was uber low. Feel much better now and will read the thread again carefully to utilise the advice given. Thanks again x
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Is it because you are a girl?

just kidding, great replies, I have nothing useful to add....unusually for me I hear you say.
    Am I? easy to forget one's feminine side when you are covered in sweat, with a brick red face after a training session!

I did a 10k run before work this morning and my inspiration for improving my time was that I would have to get home and past the bus stop before my daughter got there to wait for her bus or I would never hear the end of how 'embarrassing' I was running past her, dripping with sweat and 'in front of all my friends too!'.

Worked tho as I took 6 minutes off my Bournemouth Bay 10k (which was admittedly very slow!)
    I would never hear the end of how 'embarrassing' I was running past her

Time to start practicising in your DHB shades - with the very dark lenses in!

Actually, they are more likely to be impressed - "Oh wow, your mum is like, sooo cool, init" - on the principle that if their parents don't do it, it must be good.
  • CPT333CPT333 Posts: 56
    Give it a couple of days and i bet your bike will get loads quicker.Say..... friday???? when the parcelforce man arrives???

quote: Jack Hughes

Hmm.. That's not slow! Rolling hills - makes a huge difference. A decent bike will make 5 or 6 minutes of difference. You've not got the adrenaline of a race. If you can go over 20 mph that's pretty decent - 6 mins for a better bike, 2 mins for the hills, 2 mins for a race face - and you've got a 10 in 28 mins.

Mate thats absolute nonsence, where do you get all this info from, it just gives people false hope into something they wont ever acheive.

20mph consitstant speed over a 20 km race is almost impossible to achieve for us mere mortals, unless you have a sporting background, excellant level of fitness or are young enough to thrain those fact twitch fibres,any time for 20 km from 42 minutes to 50 minutes is damn good going.

quote: Jack Hughes

[A rough rule of thumb 20mph is the kind of slowest that you want to do for a TT. That's 30 minutes. 25 mph is pretty decent (24 minutes). 30 mph is elite (20 mins) - That's for blokes of course.... ]

What was the time you did your last TT in mate just our of curiosity like ?

Mate thats absolute nonsence, where do you get all this info from, it just gives people false hope into something they wont ever acheive.

Maybe. I thought a bit of positive motivation was required. I think I would prefer someone to try their hardest and fail, rather than give up. I hate "Can't".

I still maintain that in a TT, on a flat course, on a reasonable bike, then she would perform a lot better, and all is not lost. Which was the point. I hope the timings weren't taken too literally, just there for a bit of encouragement. I apologise if anyone feels let down by that.

What was the time you did your last TT in mate just our of curiosity like ?

Better than 20mph in a 10 and a 25. But that was a long time ago, I do confess.

I still maintain that doing a time of 30 minutes in a 10 mile TT is quite achievable without being a physiological freak.

Maybe it's time for an "experiment". OK - let me be completely frank with you:

I'll be 45 in July. I've not done a TT since about 1980ish. I've only just got a road bike < £700 pounds (about a month old)

I can run a 10K road race in 41-42 minutes (I've did three last year, two this year).

I can currently barely walk, let alone run, because of injury - so it will be a couple of weeks before I can train on the bike.

I have cycled for "pleasure" on my rather ancient 1992 MTB. There are lots of hills and stuff in my locality, so any current training times will be pointless, but it does wonders for fitness.

If you want to ask some more questions, you can, but that might give you enough info to judge form and make a prediction:

What time do you think I can do for a 10 mile TT, by, say my 45th Birthday in July?

I'll get one entered, and than we can all have a laugh!

Oh! Everyone else, feel free to play "pin the tail on the Donkey" and predict what I can do.

Oohh I feel quite motivated now!
    Mate if i'm honest on here you try and give out good advise, but its advise that you have read in a book or recycled from others, point of fact the stuff the other day about fixing a flat tire.

You were talking getting out a bowl of water and looking for the bubbles ala 1971

The reality is that people read what you write and think they can acheive it, but they cant and probably never will.

As for cherly, i am happy to meet you in wareham if you want and we can do a 25 mile TT together, i know a place between dorchester and wareham, its used by weymouth CC, its pretty flat and will give you a proper idea of what you can do.

Or if you prefere i will email you the route and you can go do it yourself, your close to me so dont mind training together.
    Now you're just being mean. I've wound you up obviously. Certainly didn't mean to. I apologise for that. Again.

A bowl of water works. It's cheap. I did say myself that I was just regurgitated the instructions - the way that I was taught it. Do I use it? Yes

I may not be a pro, and I may be out of touch. But everything I say, I'm applying to myself. When it's an opinion, I've tried to emphasie that it's an opinion.

I'm very happy to be corrected when I'm wrong, that way I can learn. I think it's easier to correct something that's wrong - than to create something original. That way a thread gets going. And hopefully some discussion enthuses.

I don't want to offend or mislead, so you seem to be given me the option of

- Keeping shut, until I have completely three seasons of triathlons at all distances up to IronMan, and somehow "earned my wings", in whatever way.

- Or... well, no, other options. Not even to express an opinion.

Thanks. You really are motivational.
  • willtriwilltri Posts: 436
    I still maintain that doing a time of 30 minutes in a 10 mile TT is quite achievable without being a physiological freak.

I'm with you on this - no riding for 10 years - on and off exercise since (very little) - 4 months of training and I'm not too far away from the 30 mins (very flat though!!)

I'll send you both a bottle of calms!!! [:D]

Mate i'm no pro either, and this is a forum,

to me forum means say what you want, some will agree others wont.

But i'll never try and stop you from saying it. That what i love about england we can all say what we like when we like ( to a degree), and no one has the right to stop you from saying it.

All fair in love and tri
  • Mmmm some tension here I see. Well just my two penny worth (if its worth two pennies..) but I dont think its right to say that just because you're not from a sporting background you can never be as good as someone who is from that background...

my cousin has a fantastic running background... but he now would struggle round a 10k. Im not a fast runner but comparatively i'd whoop his ass. though he's a very nice guy and i wouldnt really try that.

but fitness is something you earn through training, not simply experience. the fact that you can become fit at any age means you can get better at any age. im 25 now and though i ran a tiny bit at primary school I didnt really start exercising properly until my early 20s. and have seen vast improvement. havent got a sporting background but i think i could be as good as someone who has.

@ Jack: 45 is a fine age especially for running and Im going on the results of the past the races I've done - the winners in each both male and female were vets so get out there and show 'em!! x

• garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    I have something to say!

I have no sporting background but have a strong belief in my own ability - i am crap on the bike, but i WILL get a lot better given commitment and dedication - there is not a shred of doubt in my mind (assuming my legs don't fall off).

I'm also crap at running!

I couldn't swim two lengths in Decemeber, now swimming 400m in 7:15, which is middle of the pack as far as i can see.

I believe anything is possible - the only thing that holds people back is themselves.

SO BELIEVE YOU CAN

• MGMG Posts: 470

20mph consitstant speed over a 20 km race is almost impossible to achieve

Thats utter BO*****S!!! I can consistently average 20mph over 50miles so doing over 20miles is not a problem what so ever!! Where did YOU get your facts from??????
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    Chill out people ;) ...

We are all aiming to achieve our goals but are all of different abilities ... August last year I was nearly dying on the bike after 400 yards ... now I can do 10 mile in under 30 mins - its not to say that you can't do a triathlon if you are slower than that, its a learning curve.

I can swim 400m in 7.5 minutes, run 5k in 21 minutes - and do a 10 mile TT in 30 mins - but someone else could do them faster or either one faster or slower and still compete. Ultimately though those times are not exactly fast and in a triathlon I probably would not get those times - but I still love it and will compete.

Don't worry about times and speed at the moment - just enjoy triathlon .... heres me speaking with all of Zero experience ... not done my first Tri yet ;)

• Not that it means much to me ( ie I don't know if it's any good ) but I did my 10.2 mile commute into work tonight ( on nights) in 31 mins and 16 seconds. ( bear in mind that I have at least a mile down a long hill so can so do 35mph so that affects my overall time) If it was flat - well I have no idea

Going home is a different story though ( after a 12 hours night shift) I take 45-50 mins to do the same journey ( granted the last 4 miles is a bit uphill).

I swim 450m in 11 mins ( how shit is that)

Run 5 km in 26 mins ( my fastest time yet)

I love doing it so bugger to how good I am at the moment. I think there is too much emphasis on out and out speed when starting out in this new world.... I have tried to enjoy myself to begin with, then the passion takes hold and personal targets are there to be beaten and times broken.

It will come it just takes time. ( Well thats what I am telling myself anyway) :)