Home Chat General Chat

Weight Training

HHHMMMMMM........Muscle is heavy!

It sounds like you have a good weight system there. I would defo keep with the cool weight training as a good strong trunl is key to posture and flexabilty.

I do some upper body stuff but the weight is light ish and the reps are about 25-30 and like you 3 sets. I noticed this did improve my swim technique but not my time.

Comments

• Does anyone find that they benefit from weight training? I like to do a upper body and core workout sometimes if i feel i need to give my legs a bit of a rest. Do you think this is beneficial, bearing in mind im about 78kg and 6ft, i dont really want to put on any more wieght. Im hoping that the weights will benefit swimning really, i am keeping reps around 15-20, and doing about 3 sets of each excersize. Mainly just doing it as sometimes i like shifting a few weights in the gym.
  • goddamnit

im 76kg and 5ft 7!!!

maybe im not built for tri . . .

• husslerhussler Posts: 237
    I always do an 8 week weights program leading upto....well this week in fact!

2 sessions a week - split as 1 session of Back and core and 1 session of allover body.

The back routine is as follows:

Deadlift - 5x 4-8 reps of 60kg but start with just the olympic bar and build up.

Seated Row -3x 8-12 reps of 40kg

Bent Over Dumbbell Row -3x 8-12 reps of 17.5kg

Lat Pull Down - 3x 8-12 reps

Wide arm outer grip(knuckles facing you) Pull ups - 3x 8-12reps - Use the assisted machine if need be.

Cleans - 3x 8-12 reps of 30kg

The allover workout is every major muscle group.

I have noticed a nice increase in swim strength and power on the bike....

Plus weight training stengthens all ligaments/tendons etc and stabilizes the joints so you help prevent injuries too:)

Its not for everyone though so be careful, also make sure you have a good solid base of training before starting a weights program.

I dont do weights during the season as it leaves me to sore/fatigued to train hard later that day or the next.

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    I do weights all the time.. but nothing too heavy. The main reason is injury prevention (or rehabilitation)

I usually try to do a balance - with perhaps a focus on core, or whatever area needs working on when injured. Stretching forms a proportion of the workout - but I intend to increase this a lot in the future - (I've just bought a big book of stretches).

However, I'm only a beginner at tri, unlike Hussler - so I don't really have any performance data to go on - either to tell me I need to do more, or less.

I tend do to the weights off the back of a hard CV session - typically on the rowing machine - I can't lift as much after the fatigue of this.

I tend to use the swiss ball + dumbells/medicine ball more than weights (focus on core and stability).

I'm not very strong - I can only do 8 pull ups - I would do 3 sets of 5 reps at the moment.

I would do 3 sets of 12 reps for a Lat pulldown, at a weight of 40Kg.

I'm 6ft tall and weight is typically around 75Kgs - but this will probably come down a bit (75kgs == 15% body fat) as I get fitter. I've more of a runners build at the moment - so probably need to build up a bit of muscle for the swimming (which I'm only beginning at).
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    comanighttrain wrote:

goddamnit

im 5ft 7!!!

........was this your bike I saw in transition?

[image]local://1517/51B624E36A2647D8949F735491735351.jpg[/image]
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    No - That's Gary 2'6" Roberts'. Comanighttrain's was the pink one, with the tassels, right next to it.
  • dont forget the bell! pring pring!
  • ironkavironkav Posts: 259
    6ft - 76kg??

6ft - 89kg... are you built like a torpedo?

I do a high rep/low weight program, twice a week. I think it should be a part of everyones training plan, especially core strength programs.

Need strong back/abs for all 3 disciplines.
  • MG wrote:
    ORIGINAL: comanighttrain

goddamnit

im 5ft 7!!!

........was this your bike I saw in transition?

[image]local://1517/51B624E36A2647D8949F735491735351.jpg[/image]

Do you think i would make more charity money doing the bike leg on that?

that actually might be a good idea

• ironkavironkav Posts: 259
    sam_thebatman wrote:

Does anyone find that they benefit from weight training?  I like to do a upper body and core workout sometimes if i feel i need to give my legs a bit of a rest.  Do you think this is beneficial, bearing in mind im about 78kg and 6ft, i dont really want to put on any more wieght. Im hoping that the weights will benefit swimning really, i am keeping reps around 15-20, and doing about 3 sets of each excersize.  Mainly just doing it as sometimes i like shifting a few weights in the gym.

oh and my gym instructor says keep reps 20-25