Home Chat General Chat

When should I see effects of swimming drills?

A few months ago I had a one-to-one swimming session with a great coach who recommended a few drills for me. He said "perfect the drills". So that has been my focus.

Admittedly, long distance swims took a back seat. Having tried to just swim rather than do drills, I can't do more than 200m without being exhausted. Struggled to 750m where before I could breeze 1100m.

I'm guessing the use of a different set of muscles is having some effect. But should I be seeing results immediately or way down the line?

Comments

• gunforhiregunforhire Posts: 457
    I'm with you - exactly the same experience!

I joined a Tri club to improve my swimming at the end of last year. Drills, drills and more drills but no distance.

Yes, my technique's improved but my distance times are way worse![:@]

It's a bit of a worry since I'm moving up to Olympic distance this year, and currently I'd be pushed to finish a super sprint!

I'm hoping that when I start open water swimming again (the laps are 750m) that it'll all come back.
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Not that it helps you guys, but drills have worked a treat for me. Better technique, quicker and I feel less tired after a swim. Sorry.
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    I had coaching from SWIM4TRI a few years ago and initialy my times were alot worse. However, this was attributed to the fact that I was concentrating on better form and not on arm speed. Once my technique became second nature (about 4 months swimming 3 x a week) my arm speed increased and my times dropped like a stone!!

Keep at the drills until your not thinking about them, then gradually you can introduce some hard intervals (holding good form) and you'll be suprised at your times.

• gunforhiregunforhire Posts: 457
    Cheers MG - light at the end of the tunnel!
  • MowfMowf Posts: 272
    I think the key is that you should now be heading into high intensity training where you are covering the over distance in splits/intervals etc. That way you maintain the integrity of technique while conditioning yourself to be able to go the distance.

That's what I'm doing and it seems to be working. Dont take my word for it though - wait for some of the swimmers to reply.