Home Chat General Chat

Which magazine then?

GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
220 and fighters only

Comments

• willtriwilltri Posts: 436
    I'm getting 220 & Plus.

Haven't seem World in the shops. Any good?
  • GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    A bit of debate has been going on, on the magazine front e.g. 220 v Thread...

Just interested in what we'll be buying moving forward.

I could go for all three but then i'll be pushing my louck with the WAT.

Tri PLus seems like a tri talk fanzine?

Probably go 220 and Tri World (fairly basic but readable)

G

• jibby26jibby26 Posts: 261
    The first issue of Tri plus is quite good IMO, the bike reviews seem good and have a wealth of information (I guess they benefit from the Cycling Plus heritage there) and it's not short on content. Will probably keep buying 220 for a while as well though. Hopefully the competition for readers will focus them now.
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    I have a subscription to 220. I got a free issue of Tri Plus.

I've found myself going back to Tri Plus quite a lot. I think coming from cycling plus, they have a bit of a head start with the labs - a very good approach.

I flicked through tri world - I like runner's world a lot - race reviews are good - but tri world seemed a little flat - and not worth parting for £4.

But tri plus's offer of the first three issues for a £1 is pretty tempting. Seriously contemplating getting a subscription.

• MowfMowf Posts: 272
    I was impressed with Tri +. The contributors were very good (Lessing's run article was better than anything 220 have come up with to date).

My only complaint was that it seemed a bit scatter gun. There were articles and tips and reviews all over the place. But maybe that's just because I am used to 220 and its structure.

As it was the 1st issue, it will be interesting to see if they can keep it up.
  • SwizzlenapSwizzlenap Posts: 160

My only complaint was that it seemed a bit scatter gun. There were articles and tips and reviews all over the place. But maybe that's just because I am used to 220 and its structure.

I'd definitely agree with that. It's laid out a bit like a mens mag such as FHM or something, which I didn't like. Hints a tips in little boxes all over the place and the cartoon type illustrations bug me for some reason.
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    For me at the moment 220 is too advanced in cash terms - most of the reviews are on expensive items and the content hasn't been that great.

Bought the first Tri plus and it was great in comparison to 220 - signed up for the next 3 issues - alread signed up for Cycling plus which tends to be very good.

Bought one copy of Triathletes World - was good but a bit thin -

So for the moment for me its Cycling plus and triathlon plus - but am sure once I have my 3 copies of plus for £1 I will cancel and just buy as and when.

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    220 & Triathlete.

Be warned I went for the 3 issues for £1 Tri+ & have no magazine. 2 emails querying this have got me an automated reply, but at least I know my sibscrition number. Looks like I will be reading that one in Smiths then.
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    GGB wrote:

For me at the moment 220 is too advanced in cash terms - most of the reviews are on expensive items and the content hasn't been that great.

I find this. Reviews of wheelsets that cost more than my bike, aerobars that cost £400 etc. £5000 dream bikes. All very interesting but not of much practical help.
  • jacjac Posts: 452
    I really like the first 'proper' version of Triathlon Plus. Yes it is a bit scatter gun, but I would say there is more I can 'use' in terms of training than in this month's 220.

The experts advice pages are particularly good imo. The Lessing run stuff has given me loads to work on..Emma Snowsill's bike tips have been really useful and the swim stuff I've incorporated.
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    No one else read 'Inside Triathlon'.

Just 220 now as I subscribe,used to buy most of the magazines but they all get repetitive after a couple of years.
  • jacjac Posts: 452
    Picked up this month's Triathlete's World yesterday - and it's so thin.

There's some good stuff in it with regards nutrition and injury prevention and recovery but not a lot else.

I reckon marry the three mags - Tri Plus, 220 and TW and you'd have a pretty good mag.
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    I'd actually be more likely to read more of them (still think I'll subscribe to T+) if they staggered the launch dates a bit. Imagine - a new one to read each week!

When they come out all in one job lot - you tend to just get the one you fancy - or can't make your mind up, so get none.
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    I now go with 220 and triathletes world. If it wasnt for this forum I would not buy 220 anymore. It always seems to be a bit dull now. I have notice some forum entries make a good article nowadays.

I am very aware that sometimes you just need a break for a couple on months to liven it up for you.