Home Chat General Chat

Abdominal/Core Exercise

How much time do you spend working on your core muscles, & what exercises have given you the best results?

Comments

• MGMG Posts: 470
    I do core work every time I go to the gym (twice a week) and at least twice a week at home.

At the gym its Plank, medicine ball, swiss ball work and some machines.

At home its Plank and good old fashioned sit-ups.

Never really concentrated too much on core work in the past, but this season I've given it a proper go. Apart from the fact its the first time I've ever had a proper sorted six pack, I also find I can hold form in swimming alot longer than I used to!!

• BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Ohh my favourite subject!

I do core work 6 times a week but only half an hour sessions.

I am a strong believer that core strength helps prevent injury due to posture.

I use a swiss ball and do jacknifes for front with some planks if I dont feel the pain.

For my back and side I tend to use side planks and the one where you lye on your front with your hands behind your head and lift and turn to one side and the oppistie leg.

Hope this helps.

For a good idea of all your muscle groups in the core wilapedia on da tinternet are really good.
  • I do one Pilates session (my wife is an instructor so I've no excuses) and then I try and do some planks, situps and swiss ball work if I manage to fit in a gym session. Definitely seems to be helping my swimming and I don't seem to be getting as many little injuries as I used to.
  • JessterJesster Posts: 482
    The best core move I use is actually a pilates one. Usually I havent got enough patience for pilates but this bad boy is a killer. I use it in my class and they all love/hate it.

Sit on the floor with your feet at hip distance apart, feet flat on the floor and knees at 90 degrees.

With straight arms and palms up hold two dumbells in front of you over your knees.

Make sure your neck and spine are in alignment and slowly roll back for a count of five, so you are halfway to the floor. engage your abs to keep stable.

Hold this for five, then slowly open your arms to each side and hold for five. slowly bring arms in for five, then raise back up for five.

Repeat five times. Keep all movement super-slow to get the most benefit and be sure to keep breathing! You may well get the shakes on the arms-open part, this is normal. You'll wake up deep muscles that crunces/plank etc won't even touch.

Happy roll backs!

• Cheryl6162Cheryl6162 Posts: 356
    The best core work I find is horse riding! My horse is a little on the spooky side and often flys sideways with no warning whatsoever and so over the years I have developed a good core.

My son poo pooed this as an idea until he stood me on a rocker board and threw a heavy medicine ball out to my lateral reach and I could catch, stabilise it and return it to him every time without falling off.

Of course a horse could be one of your most expensive bits of training kit to date but could double up as paid DAT. SAT, GAT or WAT!
  • Kettlebells are king.

Windmills and renegade rows will give you a severe core.

• BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    A severe core sounds painfull can you get tablets for that?
  • iangriffiangriff Posts: 48
    Thanks for all the advice folks, I find working on my core the most boring but i guess it's the all round benefits the justifies the work. I like the sound of the horse riding and i'm sure my daughter would agree about getting one.

Perhaps i could bounce up and down on the ball with a couple of coconut shells for starters.

My cores in pretty poor condition at the mo but with the variety of exercises suggested i should be able to find a few to get on with.

• givin the fact that i can only now rotate my hips, and bi lateral breath, would core work be benificial to me?

i am afraid they might tighten up my core again, limiting my "limited" rotational flexibality that i have fought so hard to get.

opinions?
  • ironkavironkav Posts: 259
    I do taekwondo, its all about strong core and flexibility. The classes are v tough, but my back and abs are strong because of it.. helps alot on the bike. I can remember my back giving out after an hour or so.. now im good after 2 hours.. also the PLANK is grrrreat
  • jasejase Posts: 47
    Pilates are king.

I suffered from a bad back for about 3 years and at time could barely stand up straight. Physio, Chiropractor, Gym all useless for it.

I found a Pilates class about 4 years ago and have been going once a week since - it has been amazing and is the only reason I can do Tri.

The session I do doesn't just strengthen the core, it also aligns everything and has made me a lot more subtle.

I would recomend it to anyone

• I would back Ironkavs recommendation.

I'd recommend Muay Thai or Olympic wrestling though, I have never done TKD but those other two, particularly wrestling, made me the fittest i had ever been.