Home Chat General Chat

Car racks for bikes - recommendations

Looking for thoughts and experiences of bike carriers for the back of cars! I was tempted to get the sarris bone 2 or 3 bike rack as this seems to have the best reviews in magazines. Then searching for more reviews on line and there are some real horror stories, of bikes being ruined, damaged etc.. i do not even want to take that risk with my bike.

i can fit my bike in my car, but now my mrs is into tri..... seems that we may have to take 2 bikes to tris! or do i make her drive her own car!!!!

also in the summer, will have a couple of hours dirving, with 2 bikes to the ironman.

serioulsy... any strong recommendations for car racks would be appreciated.

Comments

• treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    None - travel with your bike inside its safer!
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    We have done this one a couple of times!

Try searching cycle carrier. I had a thread and it was really useful.

Found it

http://forum.220magazine.com/tm.asp?m=30228&mpage=1&key=cycle%2Ccarrier&#30228
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Our bike carrier is a Mercedes A Class, optional extra a custom bike rack that fixes to the folded down seat to hold the front forks & various strappies to secure both bikes away from all that wind & rain etc.
  • ipay1980ipay1980 Posts: 84
    thats helpful, thanks for the link

clearly in car is preference! now comes down to logistics!
  • combatdwarfcombatdwarf Posts: 258
    When I can nick the wife's vehicle inside a 4x4 when it is mine a SARIS Bones 3 bike rack - fabulous!!
  • I have used a Saris Bones for a couple of years with 1 and 2 bikes with no problem often carrying then for upto 200miles. Even at high speed, 90mph, they are very stable. You just need to make sure they are tightly attached
  • OranjOranj Posts: 45
    Not quite what you're looking for I know, but a couple of years ago I got a set of roof bars and two (lockable) bike carriers to fit to them from Halfords. They work very well, and as far as I can tell, came out of the same factory that makes the Thule stuff, only they are half the price.
  • I love our MAXRAXX. Takes seconds to put on and carries 4 bikes. http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4.php?emulate=accgen&query=11772