Home Chat General Chat

4 weeks till first race! Trainiong plan, What do you think?

Hey All

So after all my training and questions its come down to a month till the big first ever race! I am getting nervous and excited!

So I am now designing myself a 4 week plan to take me into the race.

I have read lots on here about tapering and training so any advice mods to this would be great................

Week 1

Monday- 10K run (evening)

Tuesday - Cycle 16 K and swim 35 mins (distance not drills)

Wednesday - Football for an hour and a half then swim 35 mins (distance again)

Thursday - 5 A-SIDE football for an hour

Friday - 7 K run hard.

Saturday - 25 K hilly bike.

Sunday - Recovery run 5 K slow.

Week 2

Monday - Rest

Tuesday - Cycle 16K and swim 35 mins (drills)

Wednesday - Football 1 hour and a half and swim 35 mins (time check for 400m)

Thursday - Football 5-a-side 1 hour

Friday - Rest

Saturday - 10K run (race at Glastonbury)

Sunday - Bike cycle 35 K

The next 2 weeks will be the same but with smaller distances!

Any good?

Comments

• Hi,

No expert on this sort of thing, will be interested to see the replies. Perhaps a rest day in week one might be something to put in - 7 days seems a lot to me.

Cheers,

Ed
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    I'd definately include a rest day, i think on taper if i remember rightly from the bible, you should reduce duration but retain intensity as you approach race day (although I may have misread/misremembered or just plain misunderstood the TTB). Personally I like to have a minimum of 2 days before any race (excluding 5k's) where i do nothing, and half my normal training for the other week. I think it the end it comes down to preference and what makes you feel prepared and comfortable to race and do your best. Like you I only have about 4 weeks to my first tri (Crystal palace sprint), and have the fear starting to invade my mind. What tri are you doing?
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    I am doing the wellington Tri(spri0 in somerset.

The fear is good I think! It helps to focus the mind!
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    you're right about the focus...it's all i can think of.

Good luck iwth the training and the big day. We'll expect a full race report.
    Likewise my good man!

Man the force be strong in you!
  • MowfMowf Posts: 272
    My only advice would be to knock the football on the head. For 2 reasons:

1 - it's tpo easy to roll your ankle or get kicked and be unable to run. I've done this loads of times and it's really annoying. It would be even more annoying 4 weeks out from an event...

2 - the short sprints and long rests dont really translate that well to triathlon training.

I used to play at work, but i have stopped for exactly the reasons stated above.

Mowf - You are right and I reckon I have always know it but I cant get enough football. i supose its because I and at a resonable 5 a-side level and we all like doing what we are good at.

I will make this week my last I think. I might just go in goal!

Thanks for the honest advise!
  • MowfMowf Posts: 272
    When you think about it, it's only for a few weeks. You'll pay back the dissapointment at not playing with the elation of finishing a tri. That's a great deal in my opinion.
    So I have done the dutch football thing for a few weeks. I am at a loss for what to do tonight now! I have a 10K at the weekend in glastonbury so dont want to run! I swam last night!

Should I take this as a rest day and maybe just pop to the pub with the football guys when they have finished?