Home Chat General Chat

I'm getting ill - What do you reckon...

[:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]

4 months of good training and now 2 1/2 weeks before my first sprint tri.

I'm coming down with what can only be described as a particularly virulent strain of "man flu" - well three days of def not feeling up to do anything... (aches/pains, headache, dizzy)

I blame conehead who suggested i start hammering 10k TT's. Snot and dribble obviously don't agree with me [:)]

What do you reckon:

[ol][*]Lay off it until feeling better,

[*]keep training at a lower volume/intensity or

[*]hammer it and try and make 2 1/2 weeks!!?!???[/ol]

I suppose lay off it - but worried that i'm going backwards!! - Can i get away with light training or it is not even worth it.

Would be interested in your views...

Cheers.

Will.

Comments

• jacjac Posts: 452
    Are any of the symptoms "below the neck"?

If things have moved onto your chest I would say definitely don't train.

If it's throat and head I would train and see how you feel. I wouldn't do high intensity work though. I had above the neck man flu and trained and got better pretty quickly.

Make sure your diet is tip-top and you're getting plenty of fluids and rest.

If you do train and still feel crap rest up..you won't lose your fitness in a few days.

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Lay off it. Especially if you have a high temperature.

With only a few weeks to go you've got more to loose by making things worse.

When you feel ready to do something, do it.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

[This is purely my opinion, I have no medical training or qualifications whatsoever. I have had experience of being poorly though - but not at elite levels such as ebola virus, typhoid, anthrax. So until I've gone through a major plague and survived that, my views ain't worth a damn. I'm probably setting false expectations that you will recover, and not go into terminal decline. Sigh].
  • willtriwilltri Posts: 436
    Cheers Guys,

Nothing in the chest - bit of a temp - got it: practise tranistions....

Come on tomorrow - i'll be feeling fine!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVXGoQSzmms

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Felt crappy on Sun, worked on with 6am starts, 2xstudio classes, one with a 5k run to & from, tried to go easy....failed..slept in this morning..coughing like 20 Benson...bum.....racing Lichfield & Stratford.
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Get your self some vit C and lay off the training for a few days. use this as mental prep. Focus on the course, see yourself riding the route and taking those corners like a pro. Practice that transition sort your kit list out, Read 220 again (actually seconf thoughts get Triathletes world)

Dont let not training run you down. Focus on yourself being well think postive and you will be well again soon.

My god I sound like Buddha or somit.

At the end of the day we do this for fun as well as cause theres now nothing else in are lives!
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    I think that you should go easy for a few days - you won't loose that much fitness in taking a few days off but if you push through and make yourself really ill it'll be a lot more time off and your fitness could suffer lots. I'd suggest practise transitions and concentrate on getting well, or what i do an buy things on wiggle....

Oh and remember, your first session or two back after you start to feel human again, will not be nice, they will hurt they will be slower than normal. That should clear up after a day or two (always seems to for me anyway)

Hope you feel better soon
    [:@] Now it's gone to my chest!!

Feels like i've got a permanent stitch...

Vit C here i come....and positive thinking...

17 days to go - as long as i fell better and get some decent days in within the next 10 days - should be ok.... fingers crossed.
  • BARNYBARNY Posts: 157
    Just stop and dont do any more training untill your race.

ANy thing you do now won't make the slightest bit of difference to your performance on the day - just eat healthy and sensibly and get completly better.

Trianing when ill is really just so incredibly stupid..
    [:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]

It looks like a few days off it required - pleurisy - antibiotics - xray tomorrow.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

• Phil TPhil T Posts: 49
    Defo rest. Exercise will acutely lower your immune system so you need it to fight any infection. Your hard training will have strengthened your immune system so along with and medical treatment that will get you over it. The rest will also do your ligaments, tendons no harm too. Great advice going through transition etc.

I eat chilli with almost everything and I put that down to the reason I never get ill. So if you can handle a bit of spice go for something spicy... Or Wotsits, anything that orange must be loaded with vit C