Home Chat General Chat

My first triathlon

Tuesday 21st April

Been in the car half the day, but managed a decent swim session this evening, no clock, just got in and started, didn't count lengths but at a guess i swam my longest distance to date - although it was at a nice comfortable pace. Got home and was going to put in 45 on the turbo but thought better of it as i don't want to over do it.

Am getting increasing sucked into times and comparisons and what might come of me on Sunday. I had secretly hoped for a time of about 1:15 or better but looking at my times and last years results of this race i think that's extremely unlikely.

Also beginning to think more about sleep and food! ANYTHING than may help come the big day!

Comments

• garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    I have been sucked into this world of tri since January. In that time i've managed to spend the equivalent of an MP's weekly expenses claim, i've lost all interest in muscles (don't do bench presses any more), i have learned how to swim more than a length in a pool, and possibly the biggest change in my personality is that i don't care so much about what other people in the gym think - i just get on with my training because now there's a greater purpose.

Anyway, the first race is this Sunday, and i have decided to log it for sentimental reasons, and here's the place.

• jthetjthet Posts: 45
    Don't race with your thumb in your mouth....

Good luck and hope your bike bendy cool looking wish I had one of those adjustable stem thingy works okay.

Seriously, very good luck. I'm only a month ahead of you on the sucked in date and have my first Tri ever on Sat so compare notes after? I think some serious small country GDP size upgrades to kit is only expected if we actually enjoy it (debatable) but BoW may require a bailout with the figures I'm contemplating....

JtheT

BoW = Bank of Wife

--------------------------------

www.justgiving.com/julianturner

www.lisboatriathlon.com/

www.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Wednesday 22nd April

Been in the car all day again, but got into Bridgtown Cycles on the way back and got my tri-purchase fix of the day, this time a very sleek looking profile design aero water bottle that fits between my aero bars....more about this in a minute!

Got home, fitted the new kit, adjusted one of my aero bar arm supports and set off for one of my usual 40k rides. No more than 5 minutes out and i'm doing 55kph (pedalling like a loony) and the top flies off the bottle and half the contents (gatorade) sprays over just about everything and it feels like i've wet myself :o(......and i had to go back and recover my bottle top. That has to go down as a minor mishap. Just about half a mile later i come to some lights, and yeah, you know what's coming, i end up on my side with more gatorade leaking! (that's the first time i've done the falling off stunt). From then on the ride got back to normal and covered the distance feeling good. I seem to have lost a couple of kph off my average speed, but i think this is due to me actively thinking about NOT pushing bigger gears slowly, rather change down and keep the rhythm.

I should put in a run tomorrow but i'm concerned about my shins reacting - maiden race day is only 4 days away. Will decide tomorrow after work.

• ar man Gary you're going to love it and have a fab day I know!! I feel for you though re the falling off stunt!! have done this myself once in front of my place and once at trafic lights on a very steep bank. embarrassing. but at least it was on a training ride!!

good luck and keep us posted.

x
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    Nice work Gary :D .. just one thing though, with only 4 days to go shouldn't you be reducing your mileage and effort so you can go full out on race day ?

All the best with it - am sure you will do better than you expect. Gotmy 1st one a week on Monday.

• trevtritrevtri Posts: 39
    hi ya gary wombourne my first Tri too not done as much training as you and feel the run will really let me down but gonaa give it my best shot im to old for all this your number 103 i believe im number 60 just so you can say Hi as you go past me. in a sadistic sort of way im looking forward to it and would like to attempt a olympic distance before the end of the year as long as the knees hold out

Trev
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    I should put in a run tomorrow but i'm concerned about my shins reacting - maiden race day is only 4 days away. Will decide tomorrow after work.

Take it easy. Going for a run, especially with a niggle, so close to the race isn't really going to do much for you. If you must, just a really easy jog - certainly nothing hard. But the time would be better spent resting and eating.

My best performances have been done on the back of three days of rest/recovery (i.e. nothing more than shortish, gentle runs, gentle gym working/stretching/core).

My worst performances have been done on the back of doing two hardish sessions the day before the race day - a minute slower in a 5K road race (a long slow run in the Morning, Circuit training in the evening, and a cycling ride the day before). I didn't ache, felt good, but just couldn't go. It's far better to get to race day really desperate to run/ride - rather than being a bit jaded.

Any training you do in the last few days is going to improve future performances, but just tire you out for the first one, I think.
    hi ya gary wombourne my first Tri too not done as much training as you and feel the run will really let me down but gonaa give it my best shot im to old for all this your number 103 i believe im number 60 just so you can say Hi as you go past me. in a sadistic sort of way im looking forward to it and would like to attempt a olympic distance before the end of the year as long as the knees hold out

Trev

Yo Trev!

I'll look out for you if you look out for me, i may have trained but i came from a very low base! I expect to be slow, slow, slow.....i've been checking out times and i'm gona be off the pace in ride and run :o(. So if you spot my number getting ever close to you as you power on, give me a shout.

I too have secret ambitions of an OD before the end of the year! My only concern is my body!

See you sunday [:D]
    Take it easy. Going for a run, especially with a niggle, so close to the race isn't really going to do much for you. If you must, just a really easy jog - certainly nothing hard. But the time would be better spent resting and eating.

My best performances have been done on the back of three days of rest/recovery (i.e. nothing more than shortish, gentle runs, gentle gym working/stretching/core).

My worst performances have been done on the back of doing two hardish sessions the day before the race day - a minute slower in a 5K road race (a long slow run in the Morning, Circuit training in the evening, and a cycling ride the day before). I didn't ache, felt good, but just couldn't go. It's far better to get to race day really desperate to run/ride - rather than being a bit jaded.

Any training you do in the last few days is going to improve future performances, but just tire you out for the first one, I think.

JH, you are a GOD.

That's excellent advice and i can confirm that the run is off. I will go down the gym for a bit to potter about and put in a nice relaxing swim!

Thanks buddy
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Gary

Have you started to carb load yet. Make sure you start drinking more water now so you dont wash the good stuff out with water on the race day!!

Good luck man and may the force be with you!!!!!!!
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    garyroberts wrote:

I too have secret ambitions of an OD before the end of the year! My only concern is my body!

Gary, just do what I did and sign up for an OD and tell everyone you know that you're doing it. You'lll have no choice then. Takes the pain out of the procrastination.

It sounds like you're fitness is good enough already... you could probably bang one out tomorrow I'll bet!!!

Oh and once you've signed up, make sure you lie awake every night thinking "What the f##k have I done?"
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Have you started to carb load yet.

I always thought that 'carb loading' doesn't make a difference for shorter events. IIRC it only really comes into play if you are going to be out there for over about 2 hours (unlikely for a 400/20k/5k sprint??).

Perhaps a nutritionist can comment?
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Gary,

Take notice of the rest comments, I had some really heavy legs before my Tri on Sunday past. Posted a thread on the forum with everyone telling me to rest, rest rest.

So I took notice and posted a pb. Slashed my swim time by four mins. The bike section was longer than my first tri and still came in the same time and the rest is history.

I share your pain on falling over. I fell as I came out of T1 on the first tri. Felt like a right t@sser but picked myself up and got on with it. I actually laugh at it.

Best of all, you'll come away with one hellva massive smile on your face that 4-6mths of training has paid dividends. Then its a case of improving each time. So best of luck big fella and remember to enjoy it cause it will be the quickest 1hr30ish of your life!

Enter the OD anyway, thats what I have done.
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    @ Bopo - Cant be sure how long it will take if its a first one!!!!LOL
    Gary, just do what I did and sign up for an OD and tell everyone you know that you're doing it. You'lll have no choice then. Takes the pain out of the procrastination.

It sounds like you're fitness is good enough already... you could probably bang one out tomorrow I'll bet!!!

Oh and once you've signed up, make sure you lie awake every night thinking "What the f##k have I done?"

Totally agree with the sign up and tell everyone trick, no better way to make sure it happens! I'll have a look and see whats about.

Take notice of the rest comments, I had some really heavy legs before my Tri on Sunday past. Posted a thread on the forum with everyone telling me to rest, rest rest.

So I took notice and posted a pb. Slashed my swim time by four mins. The bike section was longer than my first tri and still came in the same time and the rest is history.

Yep, sure thing, no training today at all. Nothing, not a sausage, not so much as a jog into Sainsbury's.

But what should i do Friday and Saturday? How much, what intensity etc etc? Any advice welcome...
    Thursday 23rd April

Yet another 6 hours in the car, this time to Letchworth and back. Radio 5 live is my only savour - without which i would not be able to laugh (or understand) 'Have i got news for you'.

No training at all as i've decided to take the advice of the many (and in particular my personal restraint, Mr. Jack Hughes), and do nothing today. Feels crap. Although i know my legs are thanking me.

Only two full days before my race and i'm still really looking forward to it. I continue to grapple with possible times in my head but the 'fear of failure' is winning at the moment and i'm progressively telling myself that slower times are increasing likely. The only way to combat these negative thoughts are to keep telling myself that come race time i should give it everything i have, everything, leave nothing in the tank at all - otherwise when i do get my time and its slower than i had hoped, i'll just beat myself up because i didn't give it my all. Know what i mean??? (Harry)

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Is it Wombourne that you are doing?
    yep [:D] Will you be around?
  • Best of luck Gary.. I'm expecting from you at least 1:14:59 or faster...
    Cheers mate, and to you too!

You'll know if i'm happy because i'll have posted my result via smartphone from the finish line! If you don't see me here until monday it will be because i'm still working on excuses!!
  • clarkey30clarkey30 Posts: 270
    Gary youre a 220 forum legend!

Good luck mate, what time do you start? Enjoy it it will only last just over an hour and once you cross that finish line you will just want to do it again!!!! Ive never experienced a buzz like it.

Just remember youve done the distances over and over in your training so you will be absolutely fine...
    what time do you start?

Hey clarkey

Thanks for the support! I'm off at 10:10, which i think is a great time to start [:D]
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    The best of luck to you Gary, looking forward to hearing all about it and any tips you may have for us tri-virgins.

Sadly not..work in the morning & a family thing in the afternoon, hence I am also not doing the Duathlon at Ashbourne..ho hum. No I asked because I have done it a few times & wondered if you had ridden/run the course? I have tips if you haven't.....
  • nikkasnikkas Posts: 10
    Wombourne it is and as a newbie too (but not quite virgin having just one prior to admit) - tips would be handy.

and what sort of warm-ups are appropriate for sprints?

(I saw one TT warm up session described that sounded like harder work than my flat out)

I have ridden and run the course a few times but would love to hear your tips anyway!

Unless i'm getting it wrong, as far as i can see the run is perfect, its soft (ish) and level [:D] which i will need. The ride on the other hand is a little more challenging with a few gentle slopes (which i consider as hills as i'm crap on the bike), a T junction that you want to fly through (on the return leg) but you fear for you life, the dreaded traffic lights (how the hell do they calculate your lost time at the lights??) and the fast right hand dip/bend just before the left turn into wombourne that has plenty of loose gravel waiting to kill you.

I have done a couple of bricks using the bike and run course and have done them in 1hr flat, the split is about 35/25, i'm hoping to take a minute or two off the bike leg and will definitely cut my T2 time which when i did the 1hr flat included putting my bike in the boot of my car and stuff. I have no idea how the run will go but am secretly hoping that other competitors and the rush of the day will give me a boost.

I'd love to hear any experience you have of the event that might help. Like where is Transition in relation to the pool? (do i need my trainers by the pool door), and is the exit to transition up hill? (this will impact on my hop-on-and-get-my-feet-in-before-pedalling performance)!!

Anything and everything you have is very very welcome!
    Nikkas

Your starting 14 mins after me, so in all likelihood you will be passing me on the bike leg, if you see some guy swearing at his bike, legs and the wind - that's me! I'm number 133 on the start list, i don't know if that will be my race number?? Anyway, say hi!
  • nikkasnikkas Posts: 10
    Gary

No chance!

I go backwards from the swim and will need binoculars to see your bike disappearing into the haze!

I'll keep an eye out tho'

I did do Wombourne last September but it was changed a lot 'cos of the flooding so i don't know how different the layout will be.

Traffic lights they give you 30s if you have to stop (don't run amber/red - you'll get disqualified, enjoy the break instead) and unlike me on facing that last 100m of that damn hill - don't start off again on the big ring!

Marshalling was very good so expect traffic to be held up as you approach that sweep back in and they seemed to be shouting "slow down!" as I approached one sharp turn - listen to the voices of experience!

Swim to bike was 40m on paving/tarmac so bare foot not a problem. Some people did leave shoes at exit of swimming pool.

I'd get there an hour or so early, check in & then you can watch a few sorting themselves out and of course being Black Country folk they're the friendliest bunch - so ask any of the marshalls/organisers what the crack is.

Best of luck!

Jump to: Select a ForumAll Forums---------------------- [Discussion] - - General Chat - - Events - - For Sale - - Wanted - - 220 Readers' Poll
    Nikkas has pretty much nailed it, marshalling is good, so don't worry too much about junctions. Transition is at the front of the building, slightly up hill from the pool & directly infront of it in the playground..can be a bit gravelly , but they usually put a carpet down to run on, out the gates, mount & its all downhill, but you may get caught at the lights...MAKE SURE YOU PUT YOUR FEET DOWN IF YOU DO, then you get the time back which is a set (30s..60s?) for all. Down & up make sure you are in a low gear to climb toward the right turn onto the main road..usually well marshalled stopping traffic, sometimes cops, same as the next right onto the undulating section, sometimes a cross/headwind here..drop down to turn around & the drag back up..pass lots here...left back onto main, sometimes a lane for us..traffic held back, then left back to pool, again with traffic lights, low, low gear if you get caught on red as it is a steep climb from a dead stop on tired legs, right turn back into transition & don't forget dismount line. The run is actually slightly uphill & populated by walkers, horse riders familys etc, so take care, but you should negative split as it is very slightly downhill on the way back, around the pitches, make sure your number is showing, fix winning smile & sprint for the line, get a name check & try not to throw up infront of the burger van parked just past the line on the right.

Then collapse in heap & plan your next one. Hope this helps.