Home Chat General Chat

Head position while swimming

Ok so I've just been critiqued in my local pool (in a friendly way by a handome man-yay!) and he said not to turn my head quite so far out of the water when i take a breath. however, i was told that it was good to look up at the sky so you get a proper breath (which works for me.)

I did it his way i.e keeping one eye in the water while taking a breath, but i found i took on a little water now and again and i found it quite off putting! i understand what he was getting at with the head position and i do tend to look down not forward while swimming anyway so my head position is not too bad i dont think.

Any thoughts you guys?

Comments

• BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    It seems we all do different things in the pool. I am doing the same as you and getting a good head turn for a full breath. If I was taking water onboard each time had the breathe I would drown.

More importantly did you show him your smiley?
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    I found that when I switched to only having one eye out of the water I swam considerably faster as I think I may have been lifting my head slightly when I tried to get my whole mouth out.

Also I found that taking on a drip or 2 of water was not a bad thing, as it got me used to having it in my mouth, which is a regular occurrence in open water!
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    TommiTri wrote:

I found that when I switched to only having one eye out of the water I swam considerably faster as I think I may have been lifting my head slightly when I tried to get my whole mouth out.

Also I found that taking on a drip or 2 of water was not a bad thing, as it got me used to having it in my mouth, which is a regular occurrence in open water!

This is what I was told, one eye out of the water, move your head as little as possible to stay streamlined. If you swallow water keep it in your mouth until you breathe out.

I'm still trying to get the hang of it!
  • graham33graham33 Posts: 265
    I think there is a difference with pool and open water swimming -

In the pool I'm constantly reminded to look forward and when I do I turn my head to breathe and my head causes a bow wave ( Yes that fast!![:D]) which leaves a despression around the mouth area and you're able to take a clean breath of air. if i'm not looking forward i lift my head slightly too hign and there is no bow wave - and a mouth full of water!![:'(]

however what i've found open water is with the waves and with the other people swimming next to you this much harder to do because of the rough water. so people do almost a complete head turn.

the thing with lifting your head out of the water it will push your feet down (try it) which causes more drag and slows you down - this effect is less in a wet suit.

Jules wrote:

This is what I was told, one eye out of the water, move your head as little as possible to stay streamlined. If you swallow water keep it in your mouth until you breathe out.

I'm still trying to get the hang of it!

horrible when it's sea water though!
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    I find that no matter what happens i end u with half a mouthful of water, if i lift my head completely out and turn then i end up somehow splashing water into my mouth, and itf i turn slightly one eye in the water i get the same. At least i'm getting used to it? Although, roll on the coaching sessions i have
  • JessterJesster Posts: 482
    Yeah, i'm with you on that Graham33. I quite like that pocket of air in my bow wave (i'm that fast too!) but i do completely understand the theory of head down=more streamlined. By the way, am i right in thinking you're doing the plymouth olympic too?

And no, i wasnt wearing my smiley. didnt think it was worth it, he seemed far too serious. [8|]

• danny_sdanny_s Posts: 235
    I think in the pool, you've got to go for the head down and minimal turning so that you just breathe in the pocket of air over your shoulder. In the open water, unless I'm the only one in a still lake, there is no way that pocket of air exists, so for me its much better to either rotate your shoulers and head further or when you're sighting, lift your head forward.

Listen to Dave scott!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vbPNfwcHaQ&feature=PlayList&p=C5EB9DF87099731A&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=4

Jesster wrote:

Yeah, i'm with you on that Graham33. I quite like that pocket of air in my bow wave (i'm that fast too!) but i do completely understand the theory of head down=more streamlined. By the way, am i right in thinking you're doing the plymouth olympic too?

And no, i wasnt wearing my smiley. didnt think it was worth it, he seemed far too serious. [8|]

Cool I've just PM'd you!
  • julesojuleso Posts: 279
    I was always told not to look above the level of the, er, mind goes blank, edge of pool, you know? Maybe it doesn't have a technical term. Anyway - nlook low, not much above the level of the water, because the aim is not to lift your head but to turn it. And not so far that you're looking at the sky.