Home Chat General Chat

Compulsive Exercise

I dont think so...i think they mean the cross trainer (the machine - not cross training) stick figures who dont eat.

I dont get those people. They dont look good and noone likes elbow sex...noone i know anyway.

Comments

• md6md6 Posts: 969
    Absolutely, humans become addicted top things easily, and the endorphin release caused by exercise is probably no different (if a lot cheaper and probably safer than many other substances) so i figure your obsession, and mine, is probably largely down to the brain needing its endorphin fix!

I certainly get edgy if i have more than a day off, no matter how tired/ill/busy i was before, the day off is always a difficult one.
  • md6 wrote:

Absolutely, humans become addicted top things easily, and the endorphin release caused by exercise is probably no different (if a lot cheaper and probably safer than many other substances) so i figure your obsession, and mine, is probably largely down to the brain needing its endorphin fix!

I certainly get edgy if i have more than a day off, no matter how tired/ill/busy i was before, the day off is always a difficult one.

Funny you should mention it i havent trained for about 3 days (im moving home) and i am overly aggressive.

• shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    This featured on the BBC news the other morning and it got me wondering if what we do is classed as compulsive or even obessive exercise.

I posted on a thread how I had heavy legs before a tri and everyone posted that I should rest yet I had a massive urge to be on the turbo, in the pool, out a run; just generally putting some time to try and get more fitter.

Then I think Gary had the same feelings as me so it made me wonder if it becomes compulsive or obessive at some point and if we cross the boundary between what is good and safe to that of being bad for you ie not resting enough.

What do others think?
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    Coma, endorphins are such b***ards! Try something which makes you laugh, i think that can release endorphins. that said, moving house is enough to make anyone aggressive[:D]

my point was not contrast directly with those who pummel the cross trainer but to make a broad assessment of the general feelings when we don't train.

I wanted to find out if others felt if it can become an obsession, albeit a healthy one. But one which all the same does take over your life.

I generally think that in contrast to what I was like this time last year that my own general attitude to exercise has changed. Now when I don't train I feel like (sometimes) that I have do more work when I do train.

does this then class as an compulsive exercise?
  • Ron99Ron99 Posts: 237
    Reading a book at the moment that's talking a lot about this very subject. Its called Breakthrough Triathlon Training by Brad Kearns, a former top pro.

He basically advocates a much more balanced approach (read less compulsive!) to training so you can avoid burn out and injury, and reckons you can achieve a much higher standard of performance by taking more time out to rest and relax, listen to the body more and don't be so rigid in training.

I'd recommend it if you are thinking about this kind of stuff - his arguments are pretty compelling. Plus, this approach is supported by lots of real world examples from some of the top pros (a few years ago when it was written). It's not so much an all out training manual, 'cause there's a lot more about the mental preparation/motivation side.

Something to think about anyway.
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    I guess there is a subtle distinction between dedication/commitment/focus and obsession/compulsion.

It really depends on the overall outcome.

If you are continually exercising to try to keep your weight down, to the detriment of your overall health and well being, then it is an obsession.

If you are continually training according to a plan to achieve a performance goal, and your overall health, wellbeing improves - and your family/work don't suffer, then that is just dedication commitment and focus.

When your are stuck in the middle of the process, it is probably quite hard to see where you actually are!
  • garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    I'm off for a swim! [8|]
    Well my point would be the same as Jacks. My goal is to better myself and get to reach a point where I feel I'm competing.

If at any point I was training with the sole objective to lose weight then I would say its obesessive

Gary,

I'm off for a session on the turbo!!
  • gomiboygomiboy Posts: 59
    I'm training *for* something. I'm training to complete an Ironman. I am not a narcisst, doing all this effort to look good, or doing this because I am a fanatic about exercise. If I don't give myself a target, I don't do anything, so I have to keep giving myself new ones to aim for.

I am going to get fit enough to swim 4km, cycle 180km, and run 40km in the timeframe limitations I've been given. To complete safely without hurting myself, I reckon I will have to put in on average 14-15 hours per week training between now and the event, whilst maintaining my training plan with 3 weeks load 1 week unload. 24 hours per day - .5 hours washing / showering / toothbrushing - 7 hours sleeping - .5 hours in the bog - 2 hours for meals - 2 hours to play with the dog and keep the wife happy = 12 hours per day x 7 days per week = 84 hours per week. I work a lot, about 10 hours per day, so another 50 hours is gone. I also work about 2 hours each day on weekends, around the house, or the wife gets angry, so another 4 hours is gone. 84-54 = 30 hours not dedicated towards the important purposes of keeping my job, my wife happy, my dog from destroying the house, my house in somewhat good nick, and myself clean and fed. I am willing to sacrifice half of those hours towards a physical exercise that is incredibly demanding, a lot of fun, and quite challenging. So that gives me enough time to train to complete safely. I am absolutely a realist that I cannot dedicate enough time to this to be competitive, or even likely to have much fun doing it, but I will bloody well complete it.

I don't think that's obsessive, but of course some of my wife's couch potato friends think I'm a total lunatic because I cycled 77 miles to their house the other weekend, but hey, I needed a long ride anyways! :)
  • Ron99Ron99 Posts: 237
    Very well put. Think that says it all really, IMHO.