Home Chat General Chat

Bike shoe problem

md6md6 Posts: 969
Hey man

Not sure on the last bit but can the thread be recut? its actuall y really quick and easy to do if you have the tools. I am sure a local machine shop would do it for a fiver!

Comments

• md6md6 Posts: 969
    I bought some new bike shoes recently, and i love them. But i have a slight problem in one of the holes to screw the cleat into has cross threaded. I only found this out today when i wondered why it was more difficult to get my cleat out of the pedal and found it had turned slightly to the side and only had 2 screws holding it to the shoe. What I guess I'm asking is, can this be fixed easily? If not then i will see if i can return the shoes and get a replacement.

Oh and any idea where I could get the screw and metal plate thing to hold it to the cleat (they're Shimano SDP SL cleats) or will i need to buy new cleats?

Thanks.
  • jibby26jibby26 Posts: 261
    As blinkybaz said you need to recut the threads, ideally before trying to force another bolt through. I'm pretty sure it needs an M5 tap, you can pick a good set of taps and dies up from Maplin for £22 Maplin Tap & Dies or even on ebay for less than £5.
    Thanks guys i'll look into recuting the thread
  • graham33graham33 Posts: 265
    If recutting the thread doesn't work you can use things called wire thread inserts - basically you 'screw' in a new (stronger) thread - again maplins or local machine shop can advise. good luck!
  • garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    Hi

If you're going to try to re-tap the thread (and buy a tap to do it) you better make sure you buy the right kind of tap, if it is an M5 (standard metric 5mm diameter) then you can actually get three different types of M5 - you will need the 'finishing tap' (not the starting or middle tap) or the one without a pointy (techie term) end!

I've actually confused myself. You need a M5 finishing tap. It will NOT have a pointed end!
    Thanks all, I'm going to investigate over the weekend - unless of course i get an email back from wiggle saying they'll replace them for me, then i'll just wuss out and send them back. I'm not the most practical of people - i can only just change the tube/tire on my bike!
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    md6 wrote:

What I guess I'm asking is, can this be fixed easily? If not then i will see if i can return the shoes and get a replacement.

Thanks.

Judging by the above replies, I reckon you'll be taking them back!