Home Chat General Chat

Vitruvian

Does anyone have the bike route for the Vitruvian? It hasn't been posting on the web yet and I won't to find out what the Ribbles are all about - I can't believe they are as bad as they sound... Anyone cycled them?

Comments

• TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    Its twice round rutland water, I am only doing dambuster so I have only once round.

Its the rutland ripple, and a ripple it is! Its hard as hell, because its a series of long hills, they are not THAT steep, but there are a fair few of them.

The best advice I can give is learn to climb fairly steep hills whilst staying in the saddle, get out of the saddle on the ripple and you are doomed to failure as you will knacker yourself for the rest of the hills

Good luck!
  • bunongbunong Posts: 49
    Thanks for that. I climb in the seat anyway and roughly knowing the area (I've driven past Rutland a couple of times) I couldn't think that the hills would be that steep. Is the whole course hilly or is it one main section? Its my main race for the season so I want to train on similar routes if possible.
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    If I remember rightly there a few hilly sections, including the ripple, then some nice flat bits. Generally I would say it was a hillyish course, but its quite a fast course because for the gradual ups there are some gradual downs where you can really get the speed up.

From what you've said it sounds like you will be fine, if the weathers good its a great ride, but if the wind is bad its pretty exposed and as it climbs up to 500 feet it can get quite chilly!
  • WannabetriWannabetri Posts: 219
    I am debating this as an end of season race as it's 4 weeks after the IM and a good opportunity to get another middle distance race in.

I raced at dambuster last year in the most horrific wind and rain conditions I've ever raced in and the course was equally terrifying! It's a hilly course with the ripple and a couple of nasty one's added on. I got so confused with the shear about of short sharp undulating hills that I lost when the rippled ended and where the next hill was standing in front of me!!! [image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m9.gif[/image]

Two laps of that doesn't sound particularly inviting but the route is pretty scenic, and I'm sure on a better day a joy to ride. As Tommitri says the downhills are pretty sweet and make the climbs worthwhile. I remember topping out at 70kph+ on one section before I chickened out, and wisely as I saw others having some slippy times on the course.
  • husslerhussler Posts: 237
    Try this link....

http://www.pacesetterevents.com/docs/info/vitruvian09info.pdf

The bike route is a good one....All this fuss about the ripple....lol

Its a series of 3 hills and to be honest although they are tough going they are not too bad in the overall scheme of things.

Obviously you have to do them twice (2laps)

It is still a fast course. I did the Dambuster (1lap) bike leg in 1:08 then the same year I did Vitruvian (2laps) in 2:16.

That was in 2007.

I find the best way of tackling them is to gain speed up on the descents and continue to push as you hit the base of the next climb using momentum gained from the previous downhill, then as you start to slow down you should be at least half way up then jump out the saddle and smash it out for the remainder of the climb, do this for the 3 climbs then on the final downhill spin your legs out to get rid of the burn and smash the rest of the course!! lol

Hopefully ill be going sub 4:20 this year:)
    Hussler: thanks for the advise. In my (simple) mind I had a swim time of 30-35mins, cycle time of 2:15 to 2:30 listed followed by a slow run - I'm not a great runner and have had a few injuries in the past so need to look after myself[:o]

As I sit here Cream egg in one hand and cup of tea in the other I am aiming for a finish time of around 5:00 to 5:30 hours as long as the wind doesn't turn up as well[:@]

I have looked at the link and am going to have to plot the course out on one of those old fashioned paper map things we used to use in the past and check out these ripples or was that ribbles or wibbles or pimples or nipples - better stop there and finish my cream egg[:D][:D]
    One other question which has probably be asked a million times before - eating on the bike.

How much, what and how frequently?

I was thinking, 750ml energy drink, 750ml water, 1 x Energy gel, 1 x banana and 1 x flap-jack with another gel or two on the run.

Any comments?
    My nutrition on the bike will be....

Gel every 35-40 mins so 3-4gels

500-750ml of High 5 Isotonic

a mouthful of water with each gel.

I would possibly say that you may be taking on too much on the bike.

In my opinion I would swap the banana and flapjack with more gels.

Your body needs to supply energy to the digestive system to break down the solid food therefore limiting the energy available for you muscles that actually need it IE your legs.

With Gels they are absorbed reletively quickly and easily and dont need to be broke down therefore not wasting energy.

Also If I ate and drank that much, I wouldnt be able to run as I would feel too bloated and prob end up with cramps.

Try it all out in training several times before the race! then you can change things around etc.
    Fair point on the effort to digest food, but don't you get sick of gels?? After a couple to me they taste very sickly - hence leaving them for the run. I know I have to take on carbs etc on the bike but I thought 'natural' food might be psycholgically better and therefore I would perform better.

Also on a couple of rides I bonked big time when I took only 1 x gel and energy drink on a 2:15 hour ride. I don't want to get halfway into the run and die a thousands deaths[:-] I would rather take on more carbs and run a bit slower than normal. Reading that I need to spend some time experimenting on food intake as that plan sounds stupid.

What do you take on the run? I was planning on a couple of of gels some sweets towards the end for a quick short sugar boost to get over the line and liquid as and when required + ignore the pain if possible...
    Yes I do get sick of gels.... but they work so I put up with it... In fact I have just done a 3hr ride on the turbo and used 7 gels and held 37kph average at a moderate level of effort (265W on the Tacx Flow)

Run - I continue to use gels every 25-30 mins, down with water.

Then every 10-15mins take a mouthful of water and swallow, then inbetween take a mouthful and spit it out. The rest of the water goes on my head, down my tri suit and if there are sponges at the aid stations stuff them down my top.

The run is mainly about keeping my body temp down and keep my mouth wet really, as I get a stitch if I drink too much.

Sounds like a lot of gels but its worth a try... I had better remove my taste buds at T1

Thanks for the advise.
  • Just noticed this post about the dambuster ride after subscribing. I agree with hussler that the Rutland Ripple is a bit overblown. I put a few notes on the ride here http://letape2010.blogspot.com/ if anyone is interested