Home Chat General Chat

Novice TRi'er - the not so cool parts

as a newbie training for first sprint tri, thought it would be a laugh to share the stuff that you discover doesn't make you look too cool..

happy to go first...

>feeling all proud after engineering a spot right at the front of the swimming pool to beat the pesky oap morning club...manged to jump in without wearing goggles & ear plugs ...had to hop back out...trapse back to locker dripping all over the place thru the white top gaggle..

>replaced my trusty bikes water bottle for a new and shiny version, just forgot to check it stayed in the cage at speed, yep fell out middle of road....

>for some reason (still not sure why i did this?), thought big looped laces would help with tightening the shoes on the bike to run transition...of course 15 mins into a bike ride with one trainer lace embedded in the chain and wobbling all over the road realised this was not a good plan...

>decided to have quick protein hit for an after work run....maybe the salted nuts weren't such a good ideas as mouth dry as a bone and tongue hanging out like rabid dog within 10 mins!...

Sure i am not alone in this mad world...

Comments

• Ron99Ron99 Posts: 237
    I'm sure its not even worth mentioning falling off the bike while still clipped in, as I reckon everyone on here's done that...still feels bloody stupid though!
  • garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    I've been training for a few months now and only fell off this week, but it was great, felt like i'd hit another milestone [;)]
  • Ron99Ron99 Posts: 237
    Hmmm - maybe some subconscious self-sabotage there perhaps?
  • JessterJesster Posts: 482
    I just crashed my bike while doing a TT up at the flight line on base.

While going full tilt i saw some ponies cantering about in a field and said "ooh! ponies!" and promptly skidded in to the kerb.

cue chuckle, brush grass/gravel off, carry on. Didn't count that lap [;)]
  • I very nearly wobbled off my bike in front of a passing car yesterday when looking behind to see where my friend had got too!

I really must practise looking behind more often...I'm rubbish at that!![:)]
  • I had a friend who turned up for his first Sprint event ............without his bike. He even went to registration and tried to walk into the bike transition area... without a bike.

I was falling about and had tears rolling down my face. Honestly the funniest thing I have ever seen.

Unbelieveably, someone had a spare bike!!!!! and let him use it.

Another bloke turned up without his bike shoes and again someone lent him a pair.

That's what Tri's are all about in my book
  • Cheryl6162Cheryl6162 Posts: 356
    I also fell off my bike last Sunday due to looking behind me! I wobbled and the front wheel caught the bank and the bike bucked me off into an unceremonious heap on the verge. I quickly leapt up and by the time the next car came along I was coolly standing there drinking from my bottle and admiring the view.

Did answer a question I had been wondering about, which was 'if I fall off will my feet get snapped off by my pedal cages'

The answer my friends is no......