Home Chat General Chat

My first triathlon

Comments

• garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    cheers dude...very funny....laughing (possibly a nervous laugh!)
  • Ron99Ron99 Posts: 237
    Best 'o luck matey. Looking forward to a funny recount on Monday. hehe. Sounds like you're pretty well prep-ed though, so sure you'll do well.
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Best of luck to Gazza and everyone else competing this weekend [:)]
  • [toPh][toPh] Posts: 244
    Good luck Gary, will hopefully be able to learn from some of your mistakes when my first tri comes around.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    It seems that my representative on earth, Lady Britspin may well be attending, I mentioned this to her & she claimed she would not recognise anyone, so if you could wander around with your thumb in your mouth, then she may well say 'Hi', but she is somewhat more shy & retiring than even me....yes incredible isn't it?
    cool....will do!
  • clarkey30clarkey30 Posts: 270
    In keeping with your reputation on the forum Gary we all expect a full race de-brief. that way we can obsess over your times together, a somewhat group therapy!

Great time to start by the way
  • trevtritrevtri Posts: 39
    damn 1 day to go im doing the wombourne and have trained hard on the bike and the swim but not much running as was on the reserve list and didnt expect to be doing this one thought i was going to get away with one untill the end of may but was told last thursday so will get major egg on face with the run i reckon it will be 35 mins plus for me which is woefull just cant get my legs into it . so no idea what im going to finish in only that im gonna make sure i finish and then crack on from there signing up for the sprint in september to as it will be a good guide as to exactly how improved (or not) over the season as said 45 an over the hill for my first tri but you have to do these things dont you the pain lets you know your alive lol.

Trevor
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    @trev - you'll do better than you think! Anyway, as you weren't expecting to do it, you can just count it as a training/experience exercise - no need to PB, no pressure - just enjoy!

@gary - I hope you have at least one photographer in your vast entourage!

Have fun!
    Trev

That's exactly what i'm doing too, i'm benchmarking a time tomorrow and running in september too to see the improvement. Good luck for tomorrow, if you see me give me a nudge and say hi. [;)]

JH

They'll probably be some god awful photot's of me in various positions, in a tri-suit (enough said), red faced with veins sticking out of my forehead. So yeah!
  • JessterJesster Posts: 482
    Good luck tomorrow, Gary. Hope the weather holds out for you!!
    I AM A TRIATHLETE [:D]

Finished in 1:08:40 (ish).

Full report later on!!
  • Gary that's brilliant!! Well done!! great time too!

Go have your fave meal and a soak in the bath to celebrate!! xx
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 335
    wow - well done dead jealous of that time - looking forward to hearing the full story
  • teamspiritteamspirit Posts: 148
    Well done Gary look forward to seeing your splits.
    Top performance! Well done. Smashed your targets. Superb.
    damn Gary that was quick i was 1.28 which i was chuffed with cos as thought i was crap on the run but still quicker than i originally thought T1 was a nightmare as 2.5 minutes couldnt get me damn socks onto wet feet as hands were freezing 9 o clock start, swim and bike went well though i now have a target to crash for the september one and going to look for a good few in between. and if feeling really stupid an OD by end of year

Trev
    what were the distances guys? times sound good!
    400 swim

20k bike

5 k run which was a damn nightmare as hadnt done the training for it

Times are very good then, well done lads!

I take it there wll be a full race de-brief from you both later today!
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    Well done guys those are both good times. I hope mine are that good when my first tri comes around.
    still working on a lengthy de-brief (in between sunday lunch and wine). Also waiting for official result (which i am dreading but you can read all about that later!!!!)
  • benjobenjo Posts: 14
    I got 1:16, which I was pretty chuffed with for my first one. I was a bit suprised by how hilly the bike was, though!
  • husslerhussler Posts: 237
    Well done to everyone who raced today...

Gaz thats an awesome time!!!!

Looking forward to seeing your splits.... and the splits of the guys ahead of you.

Trevtri - Practise doing the runs with no socks on.....

I only wear socks for HIM and above, mainly because there is less panic on the longer distances to get through transition asap.

Sprints and Olympics run with no socks.... but make sure you try doing upto 10k with no socks on in training as finding out whether your trainers rub or not in a race is not a funny experience!!!

You will struggle putting dry socks on wet or damp feet in T1.... If you have to wear socks then wait until T2 to put them on... Your feet will be drier and if you put a little talc in your bike shoes then that will help get rid of the dampness :)
    good point i wondered why people had got talc!! i can cycle with no socks no prob i was more worried about feet getting cold as a lot of people had said this cn cause problems on the bike and got to admit in a tri suit soaking wet this morning after a mile on the bike i was froze took a good 10 mins before i felt ok but first hill saw me warm up quite quickly. It was a gorgeous day for it and def got bitten by the bug as said before i was on reserve list for this and was not expecting to do first tri till end of may or at least i was hoping therefore hadnt done a great deal of running as due to being 45 and dodgy knees but enjoyed it and already looking where i can save time run is the big thing think it took 31 mins so hopefully with a bit more on the running i can bring the time down to a bit more respectability. why are all the fun things so damn expensive the missus is going to have a fit lol ive already spent loads but now want a wetsuit as well as an extra set of trainers

Trev
    just saw my officila time 1.26 even better lol (soz bout the spelling but had a beer ) more work needs doing going to try and get 15 mins of that by end of the year
  • tomtristomtris Posts: 135
    good work gary! got my first one, same distance, at the end of may,so am looking forward to full story also!
    Excellent bike leg. 34+ kph, 21 mph. Not bad at all. Looks like you were knackered for the run though [:(]. Impressive T times too. All that practice paid off. Together with a nice easy couple of days before[:)].

You must be really thrilled.

Of course, the pressure's on now - Podium by the end of the year???

Oh - well done the rest of you too! Don't want GR to get all the limelight.
  • Jelly legsJelly legs Posts: 278
    That guy that won it must of been on roller scates for the run.

Good times mate, you must of worked your little socks off.

well done.
    Error whilst Doing a Replacement, Error in srv_convert.