Home Chat General Chat

Easy runs. Mind numbing?

I know that aerobic/easy workouts are necessary but, boy are they boring!

I did an easy commute run this morning (7.5km 40mins), complete with rucksack and iPod...

Along the way I had time to muse on how an alien culture could use zombies to take over the world. Later, deciding that was logistically improbable due to the difficulties involved in the reanimating of dead flesh, I pondered on the possibilities of them using wasps as vessels for a brain-washing gene therapy. Again that was a no-no, as the wasps would have to be artificially angered to sting everyone, so there would be no way to guarantee 1 sting - 1 human.

I trudged on...

‘Thirsty’, I thought. ‘Water’, I thought. ‘They’d put it in the water supply!’, I thought. Which drew me to the conclusion that not only could the general populace be subdued by this method but also the Army and anyone else armed to fight back, leaving only the gatorade-swilling-masses of this fine sport and other athletes to stand against the invading aliens.

If the aliens came baring Carbon trinkets and flying red saucers we're buggered!

Erm...[8|]

So what do you think about?[:D]

Comments

• garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    My knee's [:@]
  • garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    But seriously, i will now be thinking about aliens and bee's un stuff. [;)]
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    i quite often think about quite random things like if I was god for a day, what is the first thing i would do?

Would i make a good dictator? The answer to that chages frequently, but i think i probably would be good. I'm too easily distracted to do any real harm and i'd be completely incompetent as a dictator, which frankly i don't think would be a bad thing for a dictator. Oh but i would probably do something stupid like loose the keys to the country or something like that...

although it will probably be aliens and things from now...
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Even weirder stuff than you. Its like therpy for my mind!
  • I do an easy run as a commute too. I actually dont mind it so much. Run from east london to central (about 40 mins). I just take in the surroundings and look at people in there suits getting on the tube and think, at least im not doing the same. I also look out for any fit girls walking along the paventments. Hmm, yeah, i actually like the run in quite alot.
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    dont do them!

I think easy runs are a complete waste of time, if you do easy stuff on the bike. I think its much better to do easy stuff on the bike as it really will be easy and there will be less damage to the body.

If you do easy stuff on the bike you are easily getting the advantage you are aiming to get from these runs which is active recovery.

I think if you try to fit in easy runs, bikes and swims you will not have enough time to do an quality work.

The longest run I do is about an hour, but then I do oly distance max, and its definitely not an easy run, its normal steady tempo intensity. Not doing easy runs has allowed me to concentrate on quality interval and track sessions, which have made me a decent runner, and I hope one day in the near future to go under 30mins for 10k, as I can do 5k in under 15 (or I could before injury!)
  • I think of how great a country we live in and how much I value our freedoms and values.

I think how great it is that I could be a transvestite, homosexual, muslum, jew etc etc etc.

I think about fighting and sex.

then after that 20 seconds at the start I think "Jesus its cold why the hell am I out of bed so early"

• BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    I was thinking the other day about how interseting it would be different objects were made of something other than they are! like if houses were made of polo's and cats abd dogs were just made of fur all the way through. If the road was actually liquorice and grass and trees could actually walk around and eat humans.

I sometimes think that my trainers dont like me and are trying to get away but my feet stay in them so its the trainers going that fast and not me.

I have also been known to think about-

If I ran really fast could I actully turn back time and be running around in the middle ages. (I run in Glastonbury somerset so loads of old buildings and stuff around). It gets me thinking what people would be doing and if they would think I was an imposter and weant to kill me in some old fashion way.

Alos I wonder if I am actully running fowards or any turning the earth under my feet and all the stuff in front is coming at me like a giant treadmill I am powering.

Help I need a therapist!!!!!!!!1
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    I like to listen to podcasts on long runs, am addicted to the Ricky Gervais Guide to... series at the moment.

• gunforhiregunforhire Posts: 457
    This thread is great![:)]
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    I was thinking the other day about how interseting it would be different objects were made of something other than they are! like if houses were made of polo's and cats abd dogs were just made of fur all the way through. If the road was actually liquorice and grass and trees could actually walk around and eat humans.

Err.. you do know that those kind of drugs won't actually enhance your performance.

Actually, I really love that. Fantastic!

--

I find that it's great thinking time - working out solutions to work/life problems. Planning training, strategy etc. I come up with lots of good ideas!

Anyway, that's boring. So I'm going to see if my dog is made of fur all the way through. He certainly feels like he is.

• jon_gjon_g Posts: 318
    ditto! when i'm running or cyling and finding it easy i think 'oh, the world must be turning towrds me, thats why it's easy', and when it's hard it's cos i'm trying to run away formt he whole earth! obviously i know thats not true, but ido think it!
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Sitting still meditation, I cannot do, running meditation..I can, however, I enjoy the seasons changes, at the mo its all blossoms & trees coming alive & the incrdible greenness of our world (& I am in a city), if I have my Garmin on I can waste much time (waste? did I say waste?) trying to nail my pace with little variation, othertimes its all a blank & serenity, right up until I fall over the dog.
  • GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    I think of how great a country we live in and how much I value our freedoms and values.

?

Freedom to be the most surveilled country on earth...or to get a good lathering off the Met whilst minding ones own business....if I get your drift....which is why I think about blossom instead!
  • Jelly legsJelly legs Posts: 278
    I think of how great a country we live in and how much I value our freedoms and values

Ah yes but freedom to actually be there in the first place, thats the freedom i like, but thats for a whole other topic.

But like others my mind wonders, not about houses made of polo's, just about stuff.

Did i lock the door, when is the mot due, shall i run faster or stick with the plan, can i eat some choclate biscuits for being so good.

Who is the sexy blond at the swimming pool i saw last night ?

• jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Long slow runs/bike rides,or short fast bursts I tend to think of a few thoughts.....

such as ....

If that car pulls out where will I go?

Is that dog on an extendable lead....oh s**t it is.

Has that driver seen me....NOPE.

What are those youths going to hurl at me..some abuse or something that is alot harder.

These thoughts progress in a circular motion in my mind.

Occassionally I ponder on problems ..such as why do some people take the escalator when going to their step class at the gym?, or would punctures exist if Dunlop had never lived?

• things i think about:

I day dream - alot!! on an every day basis about things id love to do and any particular dreamy sort of guy i might have a slight crush on at any one point.

On of my faves is to day dream that Im in a big race, recently this has been the london marathon (not that im running it!) and that im winning it. sad i know.

my last daft thought i had was two days ago when i was deciding whether my fave colour was red or yellow. decided on yellow but then wondered if the world was all one colour would i want it to be the same as my fave colour?? thought eventually id get a headache as yellow is bright so for that i settled on boring old magnolia..

yeah running and tinking = weird thoughts!! x

p.s. have loved reading this thread
  • clarkey30clarkey30 Posts: 270
    Dont agree with you there britspin! but thats for a different forum!

I try to think im a football manager or celebrity facing a press conference! weird answering fake questions!!!!!!

Or pretending im in a race trying to catch random people (sometimes imaginary) in front of me or fending off the chasing pack, commentating in my head!

Maybe i also need therapy
  • clarkey if you need therapy then everyone else (me included) needs in more!! haha. i love it! its pure self-indulgence.

also i think the race scenario is a popular one!! i regularly pretend i m just about to overtake paula radcliffe... yeah right!!

love to read what other people's are.

polo houses - they'd always smell minty fresh at least!! urgh but imagine if it rained... sticky. x
    Now see what you did? you made me racall my running with Radcliffe scenario....we start together...she slowly(!) draws away from me & leaves me to get home alone, but when I get there she is showered & radiant with a huge bowl of porridge & a similarly huge mug of coffee.
  • brizzichickbrizzichick Posts: 166
    i think about stuff i need to do or sort out, then promptly forget that i'm doing that and my wanders all over the place....i do watch peeps walking around and love running through battersea/st james park (in london)....do have to say tho, i tend to have a sneaky glance (thru my dark sunnies) at any fit men as i pass... (trying to forget that i look like a beetroot and am breathing soo loudly that you could hear me 10k away!)

i'm lovin this thread tho...gives me sooo much more to think about [:D]