Home Chat General Chat

Tri warm up

First tri of the season on saturday. Llandovery sprint. Its a pool tri. As this is my first tri can someone go through a warm up routine. Reg at 1pm start at 2pm. should i warm up before or after reg given its a 1.5hrs journey there. Should I take the turbo to warm up. will I get access to the pool before start.

Sorry for all the questions

Comments

• garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    Great question

Can anyone give any advice?
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    Oh dear, i hadn't even thought about that sort of thing... still will be interested to see what the more experienced on here say
  • Jelly legsJelly legs Posts: 278
    No access to pool before start.

I've seen guys at tri on excercise bikes before start

Warm up after reg.

A gentle jog would be good enough.

But do a few arm excercise's to losen up a touch.

Good luck, dont panic, look around, that guy over there is pooping himself to, and him, and her, and him,

Enjoy.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 335
    so are you a Welshie? because of course there could be the added stress of a bi-lingual start and not knowing that the other guy is equally terrifeid as he's doing it in Welsh[:D][:D][:D]

have a great time Llandovery only an hour from me over the mountain but I opted for Cardiff a week away as thought might possibly be a little flatter for a first attempt
  • husslerhussler Posts: 237
    All I do is warm the arms up whilst im waiting at poolside, you will prob find that you have to be poolside at least 10mins before your start time so doing a warm up on the turbo or go for a run is pointless in my opinion, and anyway your not warming your arms up by doing either of them anyway.... by the time your at the pool you will be freezing!

Just do things like swings arms around in circles, bend over and swing arms as if your hugging yourself, a few stretches etc just to get a little bit of mobility in the arms.

Your legs and Aerobic system will be plenty warm enough for the bike by the time your out of the pool, together with the run to T1 youll be out of breath!

Good Luck to everyone racing this weekend!:) and remember to try and enjoy your first race!! oh and one more thing dont worry about making mistakes in transition...... it will give you points to change for the next one!
  • I'm doing cardiff next week as well see you there.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    There still is a point to warming up even tho you may have a wait on poolside..apart from the fact that you can carry on arm swings & dynamic loosening stretching exercises on poolside & make it look like you know what you are doing! A jog or bike warm up 'primes' the systems & gets the body into an exercise/activity groove & your core temp etc will stay elevated as will your 'exitation' of your nervous system.
  • dcdc Posts: 10
    I did my first tri 2 weeks ago, some simple stretching (essential due to my extremely weak shoulders) was carried out and then we were allowed a couple of mins to warm up in the pool - basically two lengths at a nice slow pace.

Is this not the norm for most pool based tri swims? To be honest I had no idea what to expect, whether we'd get to swim a bit first, whether you'd start in the water or dive in - maybe I should have researched a bit first...
  • Ron99Ron99 Posts: 237
    Good advice folks. Would you recommend using Deep Heat or something like that to get the muscles warm? Thats pretty easy to do within a few minutes of the start.
  • Jelly legsJelly legs Posts: 278
    def not mate, its very bad to Con the muscles into thinking there warm.

You will be fine honest just have a jog up and down outside about 5 mins before your start time do some streches of arms as others have said, when you get pool side and get into the pool just swim off and return.

Others will probably do the same.

• yeah the pool ones ive done up here tell you that you get a two length warm up. but not all of them def do this especially if they're jam packed - there wouldnt be time. to be honest, i pretty much use the swim as my warm up!!! obviously loosen up your arms x

ENJOY!!!
  • WannabetriWannabetri Posts: 219
    Get yourselves a skipping rope and do 5 x 1min bouts with this. Helps loosen up the arms all the way down. Promotes bloody flow to the legs from the bouncing. Especially excellent for calves for all pool push offs you are about to enjoy!. It's really a bloody good warm-up tool!!!

Arm circles are a standard choice. A good stretch of the arms and torso is important. For some reason I always do a feel leg swings, and bodyweight squats and bent-leg deadlifts.
    ministryofsound wrote:

I'm doing cardiff next week as well see you there.

what's your start time? I'll be the one in purple and pink 2xu suit on a baby blue bike looking knackered
  • Cheryl6162Cheryl6162 Posts: 356
    Good luck today MoS and Moonshine-knock 'em dead!

Don't forget to post back here later, we want all the gory details..........
  • moonshine wrote:
    ORIGINAL: ministryofsound

I'm doing cardiff next week as well see you there.

what's your start time? I'll be the one in purple and pink 2xu suit on a baby blue bike looking knackered

Cardiff start time is 8:40 good luck mate
    ministryofsound wrote:

Cardiff start time is 8:40 good luck mate

so you'll be passing me rapidly I'm in the 7.50 wave yep that's how slow my swim tme is but on the up side I'm not in the first wave[:D] good luck