Home Chat General Chat

mp3 while competing?

Most events will DQ you for using a music player.

Some guy on Sunday just turned up to rack his bike in transition with his earphones in and got himself a stern talking to from the BTA ref.

Comments

• I'm finding that having music while I run makes a huge difference to my speed which is great for training, but are they allowed for the run section of a Triathlon (I'm doing a half Ironman)?

Has anyone out there done this and did it make a difference?

I know it may add some seconds in transition if a little extra fiddling is required, but it could knock minutes off my run time so it would be worth it.
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595

Yep, check the ts and cs but most likely you will get disqualified - grounds of safety, traffic and rider awareness etc.

Don't you get terrible wind noise when trying to cycle with earphones in? I tried it once and couldn't bear it.
  • Like I said - just for the run section.
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595

Ah! Sorry - obviously didn't read that bit.

The answer is probably still no, for the same reasons, but check the ts and cs...
  • jon_gjon_g Posts: 318
    any event sanctioned by the BTA wont allow any music devices, it's in the rules section on their website
  • Yeah I just checked and found the same. Never mind. I'll have to sing to myself...
  • jon_gjon_g Posts: 318
    saying that, your event might not necessarily be BTA approved, but probably still wont be able to wear it. i've seen people wearing them in races, dont know if they got DQ'd, but i wouldnt ever take the risk!
  • GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    ….__o

._`<,_

(_)/ (_)

Too much time on your hands! [:D]
  • You could employ a training partner to run next to you belting out your favorite tunes. It would prob help if you know a good singer...
  • RockieRockie Posts: 40
    I keep the tunes in my head, that way you can set them to any tempo you want. I once did a half-marathon to the full soundtrack of "Phantom of the Opera."
  • bathtubbathtub Posts: 280
    backtothecaves wrote:

I'm finding that having music while I run makes a huge difference to my speed which is great for training, but are they allowed for the run section of a Triathlon (I'm doing a half Ironman)?

Has anyone out there done this and did it make a difference?

I know it may add some seconds in transition if a little extra fiddling is required, but it could knock minutes off my run time so it would be worth it.

Using an Ipod or stereo etc is banned in Triathlon as is using a mobile phone but you would be asked to remove the said item by the race referee.

It would only result in disqualification if you refused to stop using the banned equiptment.
  • pippip Posts: 170
    Can`t stand running with i pod or cycling with i pod in my ears i find i can concentrate more when i can hear the road and traffic noise,but i know some folks like to listen to music when training.Iwas in the pool the other day and saw a guy with a waterproof i pod on............now there`s a thought
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Using an Ipod or stereo etc is banned in Triathlon as is using a mobile phone

Mental image of that TV character with the giant phone shouting as he's running.... "HELLO! WHAT?! NO... I'M DOING A TRIATHLON! YEAH, IT'S BLOODY HARD WORK!!"
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Bopomofo wrote:
    Using an Ipod or stereo etc is banned in Triathlon as is using a mobile phone

Mental image of that TV character with the giant phone shouting as he's running.... "HELLO! WHAT?! NO... I'M DOING A TRIATHLON! YEAH, IT'S BLOODY HARD WORK!!"

To be fair, the first time I ran a half marathon I took my phone! I had no idea how long it would take me. Mrs Jules didn't fancy hanging round the finish line for ages wondering when I'd show up, so I called her from a mile out. Yes I did get some odd looks.[:D]