Home Chat General Chat

Swimming times

That is really not slow for your first time mate. Granted, you can get faster, but that's not a bad marker!

I decent 1.5k is generally sub 30 mins. Serious swimmers will be looking at sub 20. Elites are like machines and can consitently swim it in less than 18 mins. But the less said about those freaks the better!

Remember to not get hung up on constantly timing straight 1500m swims. Breaking it down into sets and focusing on form is much more effective at getting your speed up and your effort down.

Comments

• teamspiritteamspirit Posts: 148
    Yesterday i completed my 1st 1500m swim and done it again today but decided to time myself i did it in 38.05 writing it down now sounds really slow. What do evertone else swim for 1500m.
    Just been talking to a mate and he reckons that cos i'm swimming in a 15m pool and having to keep stopping to turn round that i'm wasting alot of time he reckons about 5mins.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 335
    Mowf wrote:

Remember to not get hung up on constantly timing straight 1500m swims. Breaking it down into sets and focusing on form is much more effective at getting your speed up and your effort down.

I can confirm that sets the way to go admittedly only aimimg for 400m at present but get myself in a right mess trying to swim said 400m but if I do sets concentrating on hip rotation tummy to wall set and then reaching for the bar sensation on every stroke set and then a set that includes dodging the world whilst not panicing if get a mouthful of water and lo 1000m done and not feeling like a chewed up piece of string and all in front crawl
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    Did a 1500m TT yesterday and scored a PB which I've been unbelievably smug about!!

23min 18sec (down from 23min46sec)
  • gunforhiregunforhire Posts: 457
    Once you're in open water and have a wetsuit on that time will plummet!

Right now, I'd me more than happy with that 38 in the pool.

I'm hoping to go sub 2:30 for an Olympic this summer, and reckon I only need a 35min swim to do it.
  • 15m is a very short pool. Your friend may be correct, but I have found the opposite. I swim in a 33m pool and a 25m pool and I'm always quicker in the 25m. I have assumed it's because I get more pushoffs which are much more rapid than my swimming.

I strongly suggest timing yourself in a pool the same as the one you will swim in or either way a longer pool. I had a swim in a 20m pool and I was barely into my stroke before having to turn.
    I don't push off the wall cos i would get most the way across the pool before i start to swim.
  • jacjac Posts: 452
    Have never swum 1.5k in one go. Currently training for super sprints and sprints..400m time is around the 7:30 mark at the mo.

I always feel as though I could swim quicker but am quite happy with that pace - so that I can give plenty come the bike and run.
  • GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    Yesterday i completed my 1st 1500m swim and done it again today but decided to time myself i did it in 38.05

HTFU [;)]
    Dude thats harsh lol
  • clarkey30clarkey30 Posts: 270
    well done mate its an achievement to do the distance for the first time let alone worrying about times!!!!

Youll be quicker in open water too!

I was around the 30 minute mark but am hoping to take 5 - 7 minutes off that this year.

Just for info they say your time in seconds for 25meters is your time in minutes for 1500 meters
  • husslerhussler Posts: 237
    I wish that was true!!! Then I would be doing my 1500m in 14 mins!!!!

Im doing 1500 in around 21-22 mins, depending on how I feel. Although last night I did a 1500m in 24.... but I was mega tired after running a Half Marathon base session run earlier in the day in 1:28:48...