Home Chat General Chat

Heron Lake

Heard today that Heron lake will be open form the 25th April. Tuesday, Saturday and Sunday.

Get in the cold!!!!!

Comments

• MGMG Posts: 470
    Whats the deal with Heron Lake, do you pay your £5 and just swim or are there structured sessions going on?
  • Having looked at the website, the £5 gets you an entry just to swim. It appears that they do have swim lessons/sessions but at an extra cost.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong or have misread the website!!!!
  • clarkey30clarkey30 Posts: 270
    I think Rick Kiddle does some sessions there, although im starting to sound like his advertiser!!!!!

They do mass start practice etc but its mostly just get in and pump out some distance!
  • JonhinioJonhinio Posts: 289
    I booked some sessions with Rick Kiddle last year and they were great. It was my first open water experience so wanted to get some good pointers.

If it's the same cost as last year it's £5 a swim or £40 for 10 swims. You pay at the gate when you get there. Also last year they had turbos set up which you could use for brick sessions.

See some of you down there
  • gunforhiregunforhire Posts: 457
    Princes and Datchett are open this weekend. 12 degrees.
  • gingertrigingertri Posts: 277
    Anyone swimming in Heron lake tomorrow? do you know the current water temp? last year it took two hours to defrost my feet!
  • Hoe deep is it ?

That's ust something I need to know before I jump in. When I go it wll be my 1st open water swim.
    well you cant see the bottom, so therefore it doesnt matter! [:D] neoprene hat i'm thinking for tomorrow! anyone wear wetsuit socks this time of year?
    ging i wear socks for the first lap then take them off as i find they drag me and my feet warm up. just swim to the jetty and throw em off!

They make a massive difference when you first get in though!

Did anyone go today, im there in the morning tomorrow! fighting with the carp

Cripple kid for the first 100 metres you can see the reeds etc, its about four feet at the entrance point but gets deeper. You can see the ropes that the bouys (spelling?) are atttached to but in comparison to Dorney its like swimming in a mud puddle!
  • nuclearnuclear Posts: 2
    As a first timer at open water tri swimming training, I was down there 6:30am this morning, a few folks already in the water and both the normal and overflow carparks were pretty busy from 7am onwards. Plenty of swimmers but plenty of space as well. I didn't realise but its a 950m course in basically a triangle shape from the jetty.

The water is cold but surprisingly really not nearly as bad as I expected. Throwing yourself in off the jetty a great approach - the cold water creeping into the wetsuit for the next sixty second is fun!

And yes, a neoprene hat is a must have!

Last but not least, excellent bacon butties and steaming hot coffee to round off the morning.

I'll definitely be back.
  • Cheers Clarky.

I'll be down there as soon as a get a wetsuit in the next week or so.

• No worries mate..... Training starts on Friday when I get back from Euro Disney - how excited am I :)

Even trying to persuade the wife to let me take the bike on the train so I can bugger off for a ride around Paris....... it's not going well I have to say

nuclear, i was there at the same time as you yesterday! i went flying on my arse on the jetty in the water - well tis the best way to acclimatise to the cold! bought wet-suit socks from the guys afterwards, though they did try to sell me a new wetsuit (bargain at £400 sir, oh suits you sir!).
    First sesion this morning, only a couple laps but alot warmer than last year and now it feels like the season has started