Home Chat General Chat

swim panic....

md6md6 Posts: 969
I'm just back from the pool and i'm starting to panic about my swimming, not only have i reached a plateau, i seem to be going backwards. About 3 weeks ago i reached the milestone of being able to swim 450m non stop, and did this twice in the one session, with a few 200m sets thrown in, nothing fancy, no drills just getting some fitness and distance in. However, since then i haven't been able to get through more than about 300m non stop, and most of the time it is only 200m. Today was the worst ever and i barely made it 200m without feeling like i was going to drown. HELP!

What has happened?

Has this happened to anyone else?

Should I just force myself further until i drown/get pulled out semi concious by the lifegard?

All comments greatly appreciated...

p.s I have booked myself some 1-2-1 swim coaching which start in 2 weeks

Comments

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Relax a bit. You don't want to be perfect before the coaching starts.

I've managed to get to one length. Then seem to be getting worse. Just practicing rolling and breathing really. I think in everything you tend to hit a plateau. Then suddenly, it clicks and off you go! Usually a rest or a change is the thing that helps.

The one to one will be your change. Maybe have a rest till then - e.g. just do some breast stroke or something you are comfortable with until they start. Or you feel up to having another go.

In a month or two you'll be looking back at this - and wondering why it seemed so hard, as you bang out the lengths effortlessly.
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    Thanks Jack, I hope so. I think i may take a break and just do brest stroke till the coaching,
  • jibby26jibby26 Posts: 261
    I'm no swim coach but this worked for me when started swimming again 5 years ago. I gradually built up my endurance by alternating lenghts breast stroke and front crawl. Then as it improved either added an extra 2 lengths to the set or changed to 2 lengths crawl 1 breaststroke etc etc. The key is in the pacing and in pushing yourself far enough you have to improve, but not so far you end up drowning, if you have access to a pull buoy you could try using this for the last 100m or so as when people get tired they end up kicking more as the legs start to sink and get you end up even more tired.
    I'm in London,
  • clarkey30clarkey30 Posts: 270
    Md i have the same problem with running, i find a week off results in a massive improvement when i start again.

Also if you are going to be having lessons then i wouldnt be too concerned at the moment, as the session will resurect technique problems that you are having, session you complete between now and then will just reinforce bad habits. Take a week to hit one of the other areas hard.

And wait till you feel the benefit of 1 - 2 -1 coaching!
    Cheers I feel a little better now. I thin a week off, i can hit the bike and run harder, then see how the 1-2-1 sessions go.

Heron lake is a little far from home and i don't have a car, that said, where there's a will there's a way. I will investigate ways of getting there. That is unless of course my numbers come up in the lottery, then i may just have a lake built near home and get someone to come and coach me there... [;)]
    Where do you live mate, i train with two guys one lives holland park area and the other east london, they both come over to the lake.

Im sure there are others who travel you could arrange to meet up etc...

Its well worth it, when going for the distance for the first time to actually have swam it in open water helps out so much!
    Cheers Clarkey, I'm in Greenwich so south east. I'm planning on getting some sessions over at the Serpentine during the summer, as my wetsuit is crying out from the wardrobe to be used and not just in whe shower which is all it's had so far
    Just had a look at Heron Lake, does anyone know how easy it is to get from the Wraysford train station to Heron Lake - it looks pretty close on the map but sometimes that's not aways accurate representation. If it is easy to get there, then i can jump on a train from waterloo... WHich is actually quite a result as the train goes to waterloo from right near my house! Very pleased with that.
    Ill check, never heard of it!

You sure it wasnt Wraysbury train station
    um...yes Wrasbury, that was it...
  • joolzdjoolzd Posts: 245
    Keep going...and try not to get too disheartened, you will get there eventually! It's taken me a while to get to 750m and thats after a whole season, only now can I actually get my head in the cold water...(with my delightful 'twat' hat!! [:)]) although I have to say sometimes the view above is much nicer than the views below!! Just done my first session at Liquid Leisure and the hot tub at the end a welcome reward!!
    md6 ill pm you if your interested find out when you can get to wraysbury and ill give you a lift.
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    I would say you are trying to swim too fast - calm it down and don't rush - this means you will use less energy and probably be quicker than "mashing" it up. If you relax you will be able to do it.

I did a 400m TT the other week and was pushing too hard and my form went - ended up slower than my last 400m and was knackered - lesson learnt for me.

Cheers Clarkey, I'll find out when i am likely to go, and let you know. Thanks

GGB, I wasn't going any faster than normal really, but i'll try to slow down a little anyway.