Home Chat General Chat

Elite?

I'm having a lot of trouble finding anything out about how one progresses from age grouper to elite - not for one minute suggesting that I am or will ever be good enough mind you! Eg, the Blenheim triathlon results has the age groupers and the elite, and there are age groupers faster than elite. Should they become elite? how do they go about it? The BT website is really lacking on info in this area.

If anyone can shed any light.... [:)]

Comments

• clarkey30clarkey30 Posts: 270
    I know with O.D. distances you have to have a qualifying swim time etc. For windsor im sure its either 21 or 23 minutes.
  • Jelly legsJelly legs Posts: 278
    MATE I'M NO EXPERT ON THIS BUT IF ITS LIKE MOST SPORTS.(sorry)

To turn elite i would asume you need proper sponsorship so you dont have to work and all you do basicly is train, go away with your team for training camps etc. and race.

Its possible the age groupers just dont want to leave family or good jobs to turn elite.

Most people turn pro at a young age and have no other experiance to gage it on.

If your 35 and have a family etc it must be hard to tear yourself away for 6 weeks to go to a training camp, etc, no matter how much you want it.

Also add to that the races are all over the world its a massive commitment.

Plus at the moment i'm sure teams are picking individualls very carefully with the world in recession etc.

As i say just my assumtion
  • There must be a qualifying time standard set.

I know Craig Doyle ( the bloke off the TV - he took a year off TV work to train) qualified to represent Ireland as his times were inside the target guidelines as set down by whoever.

So maybe a combination of that and what jelly said. That would make sense

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Craig Doyle was an agegrouper - not an elite! But that's something I love about the sport - that you can be an "old has been" and still get a chance at representing your country. Fantastic.
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    You know your an elite when:

- You never have to buy your own kit

- Your face is in one of the magazines every month

- You hurt like hell every single day
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    To quote from the British Triathlon Handbook,page 144

''Likewise,any athlete of a suitable standard is entitled to compete in the elite wave of races in the UK and abroad.For more information contact Laura Macey at [email=lauramacey@britishtriathlon.org]lauramacey@britishtriathlon.org[/email] ''

A word of caution may be advised as to check whether your insurance covers you for professional races particularly if racing abroad.

Hope this helps.
  • agent_tiagent_ti Posts: 306
    Jack Hughes wrote:

You know your an elite when:

- You never have to buy your own kit

- Your face is in one of the magazines every month

- You hurt like hell every single day

Well I'm a third there then....