Home Chat General Chat

Are new tyres a cost effectve solution to more speed?

Tyres seem cheap (compared to other bits!), but will they make me go faster?

Comments

• MrSquishyMrSquishy Posts: 277
    Depends what steed you're currently riding and what tyres are on it - if going from super knobbly tyres to slicks on a MTB then most likely.

Less sure about this on a road/TT bike so I'll let the more experienced cyclists on here comment.
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    I agree with Squishy, i changed the tires on my hybrid from 30 to 25 slicks, and they increased the speed quite a bit. but i'm not sure that going from already slick road bike wheels would make much difference. Probably make some as they would have less rolling resistence
  • MintyMatMintyMat Posts: 98
    I'm on a Giant OCR 3 with Kenda Kontender slicks on. The tyre companies make a lot of noise about rolling resistance and speed and wondered what this actually meant when translated into speed over a budget slick.
  • MrSquishyMrSquishy Posts: 277
    It's a trade off really; lighter race tyres should make you faster (all other things being equal) but expose you to a greater risk of punctures. Skinnier tyres (20mm vs 23mm) will be more aero, but less comfortable on the ride.

Personally, I'd rather go for a little more comfort and puncture resistance than saving a few seconds and risking ouncture or rattling my teeth out, but I'm not exactly troubling Craig Alexander at the moment so it depends on your ambition and what level you're racing at.
    Thanks for the advice. I think I'll stick with what I have for now. The roads here on the Isle of Wight are pretty terrible so I need good puncture resistance. 320 miles done so far and no flats so I'm not going to mess!
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    Had this link sent to me (from a geek) its all about tyres and wattage.........

Basicaly which tyre has the lowest rolling resistance..........

http://www.biketechreview.com/tires/images/AFM_tire_testing_rev8.pdf
    this looks very interesting. Those Vittoria Evos can go up to 200psi apparently! Again, I guess it's rolling resistance vs puncture protection. Worth looking at a little more though. Great piece of research and very readable. Worth finding your tyre!
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Tyres are often overlooked. Good tyres and tubes (Veloflex, Vittoria EVO's) are expensive but are better - lighter, less rolling resistance and reletively puncture proof-ish.

I honestly think that you should not skimp on tyres

• ironkavironkav Posts: 259
    has anyone used the COntinental Gator skin tyres.. I have some , yet to fit.. Aparently very puncture proof???
  • jibby26jibby26 Posts: 261
    I've been forced to cycle through broken bottles a few times now and not had a single puncture in my Gator skins
  • ironkavironkav Posts: 259
    thats sounds good to me.. :)
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    treefrog wrote:

I honestly think that you should not skimp on tyres

But you don't skimp on anything Treefrog [:D]
  • bathtubbathtub Posts: 280
    Having a good set of tyres does make a difference provided they are pumped up to the correct pressure.

A mate of mine pumped his 700x 23 tyres up using a hand pump so didnt know what pressure he had in them, turned out to be only about 70 psi,

I lent him my track pump and suggested at least 100 psi. It made over 5 minutes faster on his next 12 ish miles training ride.

He went out and brought a track pump.
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
    On a related note...

Top ways to increase your speed without spending a penny

1. Pump up your tyres to the pressure on the sidewall.

2. Clean your chain and cassette!

3. Get more aero - raise your seat, lower your bars, use the drops, whatever you can do...

4. Take all unneccessary weight / drag off your bike. Lights, locks, reflectors (especially on your wheels!!)

5. Wear tighter / fewer clothes - if it flaps, it's slowing you down.
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Reflectors on the wheels, forgot them!
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Pump up your tyres to the pressure on the sidewall.

To the min or max pressure??

Be careful: I have always bought tyres on the basis of reviews and how much air they can take. Schwalbe Stelvios are good training tyres and take 150psi. My Panaracer EvoII tyres (love 'em, but very fast steering takes some getting used to) will take 160psi.

I always used to inflate to the max. Must have an iron bum or something. The sombody (britspin, maybe) told me to check my wheel specs to see if they could actually take 160psi. Answer: NO.

Mavic Aksium Race (and all other Mavic roadwheels) have a recommended max pressure of 136psi for a 23mm tyre. They'll take 150-ish from a 19mm tyre.

Guess I'm going to have to go tubular to satisfy my extreme 'hard ride' cravings. Oo-er.
    Great advice guys. I pump mine up to 100psi. The roads are poor so this is about as uncomfortable as I can manage! Think I'll stick with the Kendas at the moment but will carefully consider when I need to upgrade. This might not be long as a couple of skids quickly cause flat spotting, which I guess is obvious when there's so little rubber on the road.