Home Chat General Chat

Is an unscheduled 70.3 a good idea?

I say do it. Step it up.... you da man!

Comments

• SamRSamR Posts: 19
    Do it...whats the worst that could happen?
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    So... with no real 'A' race planned as yet (been a bit pre-occupied with finding a job) I'm a bit target-less for this year and it is starting to impact on my training. Sure, I've got some sprint events planned in but they're just not cutting it in the challenge stakes.

If all had gone well, if I'd known I would be in the country and if I'd got my ass in gear I'd have been aiming for a sub 2:30 time in London this year, but I'm not entered and that's how it goes. For similar reasons I'm on the wait list for Windsor.

Anyway... I'm suddenly drawn to the Weymouth Middle Distance on 7th June (inspired in no small part by jthet). That would be my first 70.3 and it's not very far away.

My question, to the 70.3 and IM nutters: Is that a good idea, completely unplanned?

My current fitness is mid-table for a sprint, could do an Olympic tomorrow if called upon, though it wouldn't be impressive - feel like I could beat 2:45 at the moment but that is it. Weymouth 70.3 is in 6 weeks. Would I hurt myself doing it, is it worth the bother and what changes should I make to my normal OD training to make it possible?

If I look at my expected splits I could set a stretch goal of sub-6... but I've no idea how stringing it all together at those distances will muck it all up.

Any advice, guys & gals? Go for it or give it up?
  • j27rtj27rt Posts: 102
    Go on, do it!
  • artikartik Posts: 26
    Sorry Mate - cant agree with the other posts.

Not wishing to sound negative but middle distance is going to be really tough if you are not prepared for it - you wont majically do a good time without the training and you could pull out - You need to get long runs/long bike rides as well as intervals and technique training with nutrition thrown in. You want to do a decent time on your first I presume.

Have a look at some of the middle distance training plans on sites like beginner triathlete or other books - if you think you can do it then do it of course - but you can always wait until October and look at the racenewforest event - down the road from Soton which would give you more focus and allow you a bit more time to get the specific training in. There is also Bournemouth Oly - sea swim which is a good challenge if you haven't done that before.

Weymouth looks great but if you don't do the training it wont hurt like an Oly it will hurt ten times more.

You could always plan for 2010 and do a really great middle distance/70.3/half ironman race..

• agent_tiagent_ti Posts: 306
    I would have to say, it depends on your fitness over the past couple of years and more. If you have had a good few years of solid endurance work, then it shouldnt be too difficult to build up to a 70.3 in 6 weeks, but if you don't have the solid background then as above, you are going to suffer. But in the end, that is generally what happens at 70.3 and above! Also have a look at the cut off times for weymouth, they aren't too lenient. If you do decide to do it however, I shall see you there!
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    I dont think the swim is an issue (only 400m on from an oly)

How far is your current long bike ride?

How far is your current long run?

I dont think its a bridge too far if your current long ride is 50+ mile and you can run a half mara.............

• PC_67PC_67 Posts: 196
    My instinct would be to wait for one later in the season. I was hoping to do Eireman 70.3 in August (Co. Wexford, Ireland) but we have a can't miss family event to attend that week.

You're obviously fit and in reasonable shape but I'd find a 70.3 a step too far without training specifically for it even if I was in tip top OD shape.

You know your own capability though, so listen to your head.
  • al_fordal_ford Posts: 119
    I agree with MG - if you can do the distances separately then you can string them together for a 1/2 IM.

However, if your long ride is less than 2hrs and long run less than 1.5 hrs then you need to be careful with the increase in training volume.

You will get round as long as you turn up fit and healthy on the start line. My biggest concern would be injury if you haven't got a good enough base.
    Hmm... mixed responses. What I expected, really.

I've been OD fit for many years. 1900m sea-swim is something I'd do for fun with my mates, and I'm perfectly capable of going to IM swim distance and beyond without thinking twice.

For cycling, my total volume this year is down a little compared to last years. As an example, I got throught the 54 miles of traffic for the L2B last year in a few minutes over 3 hours (including fixing my bike).

I did a half mara training run just the other week and I have half a mind to do it today. Just for fun.

My main concern is about the total elapsed time - I've never exercised for 6+ hours continuously - and I'm wondering how much it will stuff me up.

The New Forest 70.3 is full, incidentally.

*EDIT* I should probably also say that while I'm not planning to go out there and walk it, I'm also not looking for any particular time (just mentioned that 6 hours might be possible on paper). I'm simply looking to complete for my first time, just as a learning exercise.
  • al_fordal_ford Posts: 119
    sounds like you're ready to me! [image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m6.gif[/image]
  • MrSquishyMrSquishy Posts: 277
    Bopomofo wrote:
    I'm simply looking to complete for my first time, just as a learning exercise.

Could be an ideal opportunity then, as you won't be putting any pressure on yourself to do a "time" or better a PB. Actually, as it'll be your first 70.3 you're guaranteed a PB!
  • Friend of mine did her first 70.3 on a borrowed bike having done the cycle route once a week before the race with NO other cycle training. she had done plenty of swim training and was 2 months away from a marathon she was training for. her entry was last min given to her by someone who had to pull out due to injury-she came 2nd overall in the womens this was her first ever tri!

so i'd say your well able if you feel like doing it you have plenty of time to get in a few longer runs/cycles!

enjoy!

• JulesJules Posts: 987
    From a position of zero experience I would say go for it Bopo!

From what you've said before about your swimming experience I guess you'll barely notice the swim! As for the bike and run it's just a question of keeping going I guess - which you should be able to manage based on your fitness levels I would have thought. As long as you have enough food of various types to keep you going.

Do yourself a "get through it" 1/2IM this year and you will have the added benefit of being able to do another one next year, with a proper training programme and the experience of this year's. You'll have the opportunity to put a big dent in this year's time next year.
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Go for it! Sounds like you've pretty much made your mind up that you're going for it reckon there's just a little bit of the old 'fear' creeping in.

You can do it Bopo, looking forward to reading the race report in 6 weeks time!!!!
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    Do it BoPo, you sound like you are able to do all the distances individually. Give it a go and see what happens, beside you have 6 weeks to get ready!
  • danny_sdanny_s Posts: 235
    REGISTER NOW! Don't wait or think about it for 5 minutes. Just get yourself a place and then go out and punish yourself on the bike for 3 hours. You'll definetely be able to do it if you're Oly-fit now.

The training programs aren't that much different from what I've seen around. You've been generally fit for a while so what is stopping you? If you're not intimidated by the individual distances or anything like that it seems, you just need to get yourself over the idea of keeping yourself going for 70.3 miles. You can do that if you're not worried about a 2.4mi swim in ocean...

• ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    DO IT !!!!!!!!!

You say that the swim would be a piece of piddle and from your postings you sound half fish anyway AND its only 400m up from an Olympic. So that leaves the bike and run. Who says that you have to hare round at Mach 2? Take the bike steady. The 20K run, walk if you have to. The aim of the game is to finish.

How many times have we encouraged newbies, those who are overweight, have some disadvantage? How many times have we passed other competitors who are are totally uncompetitive, who swim in beach shorts, ride rusty bikes complete with mudguards and lights? This is not a sport for the elites, it is a sport for those who have the guts to toe the start line. I did my first tri carrying an extra 10Kgs (possibly 15Kgs!), my bike was a £60 Halfords MTB with knobbly tyres, nobody sneered ar me, there was nothing but encouragement.

Do not injure yourself, I am sure I do not need to tell you to recognise your limits, the swim for you is a given, the bike, you have done the distance, the run you have done the distance. There is nothing to say that in T1 and T2 you cannot sit down for 5 - 15 minutes to compose yourself. Again the nutrition side of things would have to be researched and more knowledge members will advise on that.

To quote someone - can't remember who:

'You utter bloody idiot! You are an irresponsible imbecile who clearly had no idea of the enormity of the task involved but took it on anyway. Now you are getting closer to the start line and you are rightly cacking yourself now you understand the stupidity of what you have done!

Bloody well done, sir! [:D] '

• MowfMowf Posts: 272
    Friend of mine did her first 70.3 on a borrowed bike having done the cycle route once a week before the race with NO other cycle training. she had done plenty of swim training and was 2 months away from a marathon she was training for. her entry was last min given to her by someone who had to pull out due to injury-she came 2nd overall in the womens this was her first ever tri! :

God that makes me sick. Please tell me she has now trained and is going to own it next year.
    As though to prove something to myself, I scrapped my plans for a 13 mile run today when I saw the Dolan winking at me in the garage and the sun came out.

Did 45 miles, then felt guilty about not doing the run so grabbed a slice of Soreen then ran 8 miles - not too far though as I have a swim session tonight and my coach doesn't hear excuses. [:D] Surely I can step it up for race day??

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. I'm 'aving it!

@Zacnici: yeah, yeah, OK... you made me laugh. Any minute now somebody is going to tell me to 'get out there and cock it up properly!'.
  • fatstufatstu Posts: 46
    Sounds like you're there already Bopo. Some more good bricks over the next few weeks and you're all over it like a rash. I've had great fun with some 3hr + 1hr bricks with the ride being part of a group to keep the intensity relatively low, it just helps to get the confidence of being on the go for that length of time
  • garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    I'm 'aving it!

Go for it Bopo, we'll all be with you. [;)]
  • diddsdidds Posts: 655
    Its in the bag mate... we all believe in you!!!

find a 70.3 and sign up TODAY!!

didds

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Glad to hear you are going to do it.

From what I gather you certainly have the experience and basic level of fitness to achieve your goal (complete it in reasonable time - rather than setting a PB etc).

When I saw the topic title I thought you might you were going to squeeze and extra one in between to IM or something.

Really, I can't think of any reasons not to do it!

If you _don't_ do something like this, this year, you'll regret it. When you do get the job sorted, you will look back on this time thinking "what a wasted opportunity for masses of training/competing - I'll never get that chance again until I retire". This is the perfect time to lay the foundations for IM comps. And you need some race practice! I do have some first hand experience of the no job stuff, and know how hard it is[:(]
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Bopomofo wrote:

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. I'm 'aving it!

Great news Bopo and good luck with the job hunting!
  • PC_67PC_67 Posts: 196
    Having read your subsequent posts Bopo I reckon you're in good enough shape to take it on. Disregard earlier comment!
  • WannabetriWannabetri Posts: 219
    Do it! I am doing it too! Looks like an excellent event![image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m9.gif[/image]
  • danny_sdanny_s Posts: 235
    So did you register yet???
    Yup, signed up. I'm in, although I only got the Paypal receipt saying I've paid, not got a response yet from Race Diary or Concept Sport.

What have I done? [8D]
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Good lad! You will nail it!
  • diddsdidds Posts: 655
    which one are you doing? I can;t see it above but everybody else seems to know... (just like another one of my bad dreams...)

:-)

didds