Home Chat General Chat

Hello from a total newbie!

Just wanted to stick my head in and say hi. This forum is my first step into preparation for a triathlon and I wanted to ask a few questions (if I could draw on the collective efforts of the forum members to assist!)

To paint the picture I'm 38 (nearly 39), completely unhealthy - I haven't been to the gym in three months and would struggle to run for a bus, and I've just quit smoking! - and two stone overweight - 6'4" and 17 stone, with a BMI in the high 28s, and that's NOT muscle of the relaxed kind or otherwise.

To add to the overweightness, I can't swim (well, I sort of can, but anything more than a width of the pool and i'm ruined).

So I thought i'd set myself a target of the London Tri in 2010 at Olympic distance - if I remember correctly that's 1500m swim / 40K Bike and 10k run. The target is 15 months away (if the london tri is in august, which a cursory scan of t'internet says it is..)

So first question... am I completely insane? :)

second question... I don't want to go charging off and spending a fortune on gear, but increase my base level fitness over the next three months doing mainly CV work in the gym, then start specific prep, giving myself a year (ish) to achieve my target. That's the point that i'll buy a bike, get on the road, and focus myself more on a specific training routine. Does that make sense? I've looked on Amazon at the Triatheletes' training bible, which looks like a good investment, but I also realise that getting out there and doing something is more worthwhile than reading a book!

and last but not least - could any of you guys perhaps point me in the right direction for newbie advice? I've spent a while reading the posts on this forum, but am eager to create the right foundations to train properly. Next step is to actually book myself on the 2010 tri and then tell all my work colleagues (and anybody else I can think of) so I can't back out.

er... anyway, thanks for reading, any help you can give would be deeply appreciated.

Cheers

John.

Comments

• Hmmm, might sound a bit dodgy but you wanna throw up a few pics?

answer the first question - look at my post signiture.

My advice first off would be to lose some weight doing no/low impact training so you dont ruin your knees (like swimming, biking), also perhaps some weight training (for once i will say not kettlebells, again due to the knees). Weight training i think that would help you is low weight high rep, especially if it puts your heart rate up. Then transition to real tri training when your lighter. Good high(er) protien diet will be good too. Im not that experienced in tri specifically so some may disagree!

newbie advice, here ofcourse :P, but the magazines usually have useful info in them.

• willtriwilltri Posts: 436
    Hi John,

I think everyone on the forum (and any triathlete) must be slightly insane - you'll be in good company!!

I'm a newbie too - got first sprint in two weeks - although i'm a few years younger than you i started at around the same level - could only swim one length then a bit of a rest and a chill (maybe a cup of tea!![:D]) and then another lenght......

It's def going to be hard work/fun/take over your life and eventually expensive - but i'm loving it!!!

I got this - Triatheletes' training bible it's pretty heavy going but i'm sure it will be worth it ( bit of light holiday reading for me!!)

Good luck....

Will.

oh yes - you can't go wrong with Coneheads book - How triathlon ruined my life - and he'll most likely say come to his training day - I'd have to agree with him!
  • JessterJesster Posts: 482
    Welcome to the Madhouse, dude [8D]
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Hello and welcome to the triathlon pleasure dome.

To answer your question

1. Insanity is relative to your passion and drive for the sport. I consider myself a bit mad!

2. So the biggest question you need to ask yourself is how much can I afford on kit and when to buy!

Your idea of getting a base level of fitneess is good and the gym and CV work will defo get you started. You need to remember that slowly slowly catches the monkey. Start off easy and build up slow.

When I started to train I went out and bought a bike and havent stop spending yet. There are some Tri companies/shops which sell beginers packages like TRIUK.com and others. I would recommend looking at them for a good saving.

3. When it comes to a training plan you need to work out what you need. For me coming from a running back ground I had to work hard on swim and cycle bits. You have mentioned the gum and thats a good place to start but remember that the great outdoors is a fab place to train. Like I said start slow and build on what you have done each week. Try using machines that support your weight to stop you joints getting the shock og their life. Get swim lessons. Most of all enjoy the thing, I promise you it becomes a way of life you will love.

I am going to do the 2010 london OD so I will see you there. (that will be my first OD)

Good lick and may the force be with you.
  • Blinkybaz wrote:
    Good lick and may the force be with you.

Dont lick people.

• jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Hi John,

it is a fine line between genius and insanity and most of the Forumities have crossed the line and are half way across the next field.

As the season is only just starting why not target a sprint Tri (pool swim) at the end of the season,it will add that extra eagerness for the season to start in 2010,thats 4 months to sept and there are plenty of races then.

Swimming can be done using breaststroke don.t feel that you have to compete with everyone doing front crawl.

There is plenty of advice out here just ask.

Best of luck.

• comanighttrain what triathlons are you doing this year?

Just so I know to either avoid them or to watch out for you licking people!

Also have you learnt this from experience?

• garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    Hi jjleonard

Welcome to the best place on earth to gather bucket-full's of real-world advice and lots of support and encouragement too. So look no further than here (oh, and a couple of mags too, there's 220 (obviously) and a new one called Triathlon Plus that looks better).

As for the training, i can't speak from much experience but i would recommend lots of time on the gym bike and in the pool too. I personally found the pool really hard work when i started (in Jan), making it great CV and low impact too.

More generally, i'd say be careful, because you are likely to fall head over heels in love with this sport, and when you do, life as you know it will change for ever.

Keep in touch and good luck getting started.

[:D]

• jjleonardjjleonard Posts: 16
    Thanks everybody for your help!

Certainly the overarching advice here is to get into it slowly - that's certainly what I'll do, but I want to keep it at enough of an intensity level that I'll remain focussed and interested.

I've got the triathlon bible on order - at least that'll allow me to concentrate on what is up and coming - i'll also consider a sprint once i've established a basic ability in all three / four disciplines and I can set myself an immediate goal.

I was wondering what mags seem to offer the best value - looks like 220 and triathlon plus then.

Thanks again - expect to see me on here regularly asking dumb - and not so dumb - questions!

And I didn't realise that conehead wrote that book - i'll pick up a copy of that too!

thanks again

John.

oh and photos - I was considering a couple of 'fat' photos for a blog i was going to create to keep track, I might as well post them up here too!

I'll dig a couple out.

comanighttrain wrote:
    answer the first question - look at my post signiture.

Er... I looked at your signature:

"I have a urine fetish and dog outside gay clubs"

I'm not sure that I quite know how that applies! [:D]

• trevtritrevtri Posts: 39
    well John im 45 and did first sprint on sunday lost 2 stone doing this over 12 months (also used weight watchers which i found did work and is a good base to lose weight) once you get used to the gym i would suggest join a club they usually have a swim night with a trainer and that will bring you on leaps and bounds dont feel that you have to be an athlete to join a tri club the members are only to willing to give advice and its good training with like minded people. Also for weight loss or fat burning i found spin classes helped for the bike and realy strengthen the legs and they are addictive.

trev
    Conehead wrote:
    ORIGINAL: willtri

oh yes - you can't go wrong with Coneheads book - How triathlon ruined my life - and he'll most likely say come to his training day - I'd have to agree with him!

Get my book 'How Triathlon Ruined My Life' and come on my training day! www.chaserace.co.uk

Well, I didn't want to dissapoint willtri as he gave such great advice![:D][:D]

Welcome to triathlon and the forum JJ. Your conversion to the darkside begins here......

The book has been added to my amazon list and I should have it before the end of the week. I've had a look at the training days and I think I need to get my fitness up first - but I'll definitely get myself on one as soon as I feel confident enough to compete.

The darkside is looming - the Girlfriend is impressed with my drive to achieve a target but I fear will not be so happy when she realises how often i'll be out of the house!

Thanks!

• SwizzlenapSwizzlenap Posts: 160
    Hey John,

Your approach to this has been very similar to mine. Former smoker, no real sport background, swimming ability of a brick etc. I started by entering a Duathlon this Sept coming, now I'm considering trying to get in a sprint before the end of this year and have been thinking of London OD next year, if all goes to plan.

One thing I found is that the enthusiasm takes hold very quickly. Definitely be careful not to try and do too much so quickly that you get injured.

Coaching for the swimming is a great idea. I got a few pointers from a friend who swims a lot and it made a massive difference so a proper coached session is next.

For information 220 and Triathlon plus are good and will give you plenty to aim for, both gear and training wise but frankly this forum has been a fantastic source of info, inspiration and fun over and above any magazine.

Things to prepare for

[blockquote]

1. A massively increased spend on Soreen

2. Being told by friends/family/work colleagues that you are obsessed/plain crazy/a triathlon bore

3. Knowing and caring about who Gary Roberts is even though he has no idea who you are.

4. A deep appreciation of the Third Law of Tri-Physics. "A piece of Tri-Kit's potential time saving effect is exponentially proportional to it's inherent carbon/red (C/R) factor"

[/blockquote]

Welcome and have fun!
  • julesojuleso Posts: 279
    I wonder whether the Joe Friel book is going to be a bit much for you at the moment.....there have been various threads on here in the past about how impenetrable it can be. And it does assume that you can already swim, bike and run, so the sessions that it recommends might be beyond you for a good while.

Also, Joe Friel is heavy into Ironman if I recall correctly. You might want to pick up another book aimed at people training for shorter distances, so as not to scare yourself!
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 335
    Conehead wrote:

Real days for real people, not uber fit age groupers.

thank god for that as I'll be running home in fear if when I turn up you all look like athletes - [&:]
    juleso wrote:

I wonder whether the Joe Friel book is going to be a bit much for you at the moment.....there have been various threads on here in the past about how impenetrable it can be. And it does assume that you can already swim, bike and run, so the sessions that it recommends might be beyond you for a good while.

Also, Joe Friel is heavy into Ironman if I recall correctly. You might want to pick up another book aimed at people training for shorter distances, so as not to scare yourself!

Aha! Thanks for the tip - I might well put that off for a few months then.

Conehead wrote:

You don't even have to be able to swim to do Rookie Day 1 cheif! If you're missing any kit - let us know and we'll supply you for the day, no extra cost. Real days for real people, not uber fit age groupers.

Can't be any easier than that.....

ahh, but you haven't considered the "i'm scared, embarrassed, and have absolutely NO equipment yet" factor. [:D]

I mean, seriously, I need to get a decent pair of trainers for running in first! Let me get a bit more confident with my health levels, then I'll be straight down there, you'll see. [:)]
    I mean, seriously, I need to get a decent pair of trainers for running in first! Let me get a bit more confident with my health levels, then I'll be straight down there, you'll see.
    [quote]ORIGINAL: jjleonard

but you could do a girl a real favour and come along so she has someone to feel moderately useless with[:D]
    moonshine wrote:
    but you could do a girl a real favour and come along so she has someone to feel moderately useless with[:D]

LOL - if She Who Must Be Obeyed read that I'd never be allowed out to train!

Besides, i've just spent a highly embarrassing hour in the gym assessing my base level fitness and it is POOR. Unless I'm needed to stand around holding people's stuff while they run around being superfit, I might bow out of this one. It doesn't mean that I am not going to do it at all, but I have to be careful and set a level that allows me to build up my fitness without straining myself.

Look at me being all self-righteous! [:D] [:D] [:D]

Next time, promise!

• trevtritrevtri Posts: 39
    the time to get scared is when you go to buy your tri suit / tri shorts they dont leave a lot to the imagination and my misus was howling with laughter all i could get out of her was what the hell will they look like when there wet. there is no more incentive than that to loose weight apart from the elation of finishing your first sprint.

Trev
    trevtri wrote:

the time to get scared is when you go to buy your tri suit / tri shorts they dont leave a lot to the imagination and my misus was howling with laughter all i could get out of her was what the hell will they look like when there wet. there is no more incentive than that to loose weight apart from the elation of finishing your first sprint.

Trev

[:D] [:D] [:D]

I'll definitely mention that to her - she might find it as something to look forward to, rather than the idea that i'm never going to be in the house.

• gomiboygomiboy Posts: 59
    You sound like me 5 years ago. I was seriously overweight, unhappy, bored. I started at the gym, with no real goal, then figured 'screw it' and signed up for London Olympic distance - mostly to try to impress my now ex-girlfriend. Gave myself 3 months training time before the race itself, and hated every minute of it and didn't do nearly enough. I signed up for the cycle to work scheme just to get a road bike that didn't fit me properly, and hired the rest of the kit. But I did it anyways, and finished in a rather pathetic 3.5 hours.

Then I did it the next year, but someone stole my road bike just before the race, so I had to do it on a mountain bike. And I did it in 3.5 hours again. Not bad considering my cycle was 40 minutes slower on a mountain bike - I carved 20 minutes each off the run and swim, mostly by pacing myself correctly effort-wise on the bike and doing better transitions, as well as actually training for the swim. Improvement, says I - the bike was way slower but I still managed to finish in the same time even though putting in a huge amount more effort... and then I was hooked.

Last year I did 2 sprints, 4 Olympic distance, 2 duathlons, 2 running races, and now for my sins have signed up for an Ironman in a short 11 weeks. Oh, and tried my hand at rowing (not for me)...

Guess what - I'm still overweight, just a whole hell of a lot healthier and happier. I'm 6'4" just like you, and weigh in at a svelte 250lbs (110kg). Am I fast? Oh hell no. Do I finish races in a time *I* find acceptible? Yup. Am I constantly striving to improve? Yup. Do I ever get wisecracks or insults hurled at me either training or racing? Nope - this is the most supportive sport I've ever taken part in. Have I ever been injured? Nope; I take it slow and STOP if I feel bad or in pain. Will I ever get picked for Team GB or Team USA? Nope. Will I ever compete at Kona? Nope. Do I care? Nope.

And finally, do I have fun in every single race I take part in? Yup.

Oh, and by the way, the wife is seriously impressed as well, which can't hurt.
    gomiboy wrote:

You sound like me 5 years ago. I was seriously overweight, unhappy, bored. I started at the gym, with no real goal, then figured 'screw it' and signed up for London Olympic distance - mostly to try to impress my now ex-girlfriend. Gave myself 3 months training time before the race itself, and hated every minute of it and didn't do nearly enough. I signed up for the cycle to work scheme just to get a road bike that didn't fit me properly, and hired the rest of the kit. But I did it anyways, and finished in a rather pathetic 3.5 hours.

Then I did it the next year, but someone stole my road bike just before the race, so I had to do it on a mountain bike. And I did it in 3.5 hours again. Not bad considering my cycle was 40 minutes slower on a mountain bike - I carved 20 minutes each off the run and swim, mostly by pacing myself correctly effort-wise on the bike and doing better transitions, as well as actually training for the swim. Improvement, says I - the bike was way slower but I still managed to finish in the same time even though putting in a huge amount more effort... and then I was hooked.

Last year I did 2 sprints, 4 Olympic distance, 2 duathlons, 2 running races, and now for my sins have signed up for an Ironman in a short 11 weeks. Oh, and tried my hand at rowing (not for me)...

Guess what - I'm still overweight, just a whole hell of a lot healthier and happier. I'm 6'4" just like you, and weigh in at a svelte 250lbs (110kg). Am I fast? Oh hell no. Do I finish races in a time *I* find acceptible? Yup. Am I constantly striving to improve? Yup. Do I ever get wisecracks or insults hurled at me either training or racing? Nope - this is the most supportive sport I've ever taken part in. Have I ever been injured? Nope; I take it slow and STOP if I feel bad or in pain. Will I ever get picked for Team GB or Team USA? Nope. Will I ever compete at Kona? Nope. Do I care? Nope.

And finally, do I have fun in every single race I take part in? Yup.

Oh, and by the way, the wife is seriously impressed as well, which can't hurt.

I've quoted your whole post simply because it sums up more directly than I could ever say exactly why I want to get into tri. She Who Must Be Obeyed (from hereon SWMBO) is lightly supportive but I know that she is waiting for this to be just another fad. I've been guilty of these in the past. This, however, feels different. For once I actually want to be in the gym simply because I have a real goal to aim for; one that isn't simply or easily achieved but one that will require effort on my part - a metaphorical mountain to climb, but with a real reward at the top.

I'll get there, and I'll share my steps along the way with the incredibly supportive and informative people on this forum! Thanks!

having a goal is definitely a big help AND ensuring you tell as many people as possible making it toooo embarrassing to duck out and then suddenly the 1 tri you were signing up for turns into 2 and you're looking for a 3rd and haven't even done the first yet my HWMBO was very sceptical but quite likes the new shape of wife he's acquiring[:D] but remains unconvinced re amount of training I need to do having come from absolutely n ability in any 3 of the disciplines - the forums great always someone available for comment, support and a laugh
  • gdh250467gdh250467 Posts: 237
    Here goes, first entry into forum.

I too am new to this tri thing. Been a Gym Rat for as long as I can remember, swimming and spining on a regular basis, biking during good weather, and cycling to work when commitments permitted. Conscious that I never, ever, ever ran. Treadmill was something I walked passed to get to the water cooler.

Hit 40 a couple of years ago and decided Londin Marathon was for me, but failed the ballot, and have failed every year since.

January this year decided to give myself a target, and entered the London Triathlon (sprint distance). Then reading up on various websites realised that of there are 11,000 entrants, all with family spectating, then there will be a lot of witnesses to any monumental balls ups I make during my first events. SO decided I would enter a few low key events before, and then it snowballed.

My logic behind entry was:

25/04 Llandovery (also my birthday, what a present) completed in 1:32

03/05 Cardiff Try-a-tri

10/05 Stratford

Three events would give me a baptism of fire into the sport of Triathlon, and also highlight weeknesses.

21/06 Henley on Thames

01/08 London

06/09 Cotswolds

04/10 Warwick

I have given myself 4-6 weeks between future events in order to try to fine tune weeknesses.

So how is the training going?

Well, I can honestly say that having atarget certainly focuses the mind. Whenever I go into the gym I'm focused in one of the three disciplines, and don't seem to waste any time. I've also been seen out pounding the streets and pavements, and for a man who hasn't run for 25+ years, I've now completed a 5k run leg in 26 mins, and a half marathon in 2 hours.

And as an addtional bonus, currently 20 pound slighter than when i started this year, and that was when I though I didn't really have much weight to lose.

The downside, apart from the ongoing cost of new pieces of kit etc, I'm also in danger of having to renew a hole wardrobe, as I am in danger of being mistaken for a student with my underwear clearly visible above by waistline.

I can honestly say I wish I had started this sport years ago, when I probably had a slight chance of being half decent.

Roll on the next event!

Believe me, I've checked out all the dates, as I believe I need open water swim training prior to doing London / Cotswolds, but currently trying to slot into other diary comittments.

But I'm sure you'll hear from soon.

gdh250467 - see you on Sunday - also doing Cardiff try a tri - my first - I'll be the one you fly past - which swim wave are you in? - mine's 7.50 which will give you a indication of hoooow sloooowwwww I'll be in the swimm - purple and pink tri suit with a baby blue bike and have just got a bright pink towel for transition in the hope I'll find my spot as have been known to have problems finding the car in a car park[:D]
    Same wave as me, so no you are not slow, it's just everyone is a little bit faster. I try to go in stealth mode, all in black, so as unobtrusive as possible.

Good luck for Sunday and see you there

• gomiboygomiboy Posts: 59
    That's a hell of a lot of tri's - I salute you!

And welcome to the addiction. I wish it got better, but it only seems to get worse, no matter how fat and slow I am :)
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    1.32 for your first sprint - pretty much bang on what I did not at all bad for a first effort.