Home Chat General Chat

felt sick during sea swim

Just wondering if anyone has ever experienced anything simmilar i went for a short swim in the open water earlier today and felt sick a few minutes into the swim and then very queasy afterwards[&:]

the water is still quite cold (around 11 degrees) but i was in for the same amount of time last week tue and fri and felt fine.

i didn't eat just before. went home after and had a hot shower and felt fine again.

have been swimming for 3 years now and have never felt like this before any ideas what mite have been problem?

Comments

• Had you eaten within 2 hours of the swim? I have found that if I eat anything in the 2 hours before a run I get indigestion. I have to conbtrol my apetite with iso drinks and energy bars if I'm hungry.
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Inner ear infection ????

I suffer from motion sickness and if the sea is providing a slight swell it makes me want to barff.
  • you need to do some kettlebell training, cured my travel sicknesss
  • JasonBJasonB Posts: 303
    I get sick when I swim in lakes. For me it is down to build up of trapped wind. I read somewhere to try WindEeze or something similiar, and you know what they worked.

I did Blenheim last year, started in the front pack, then had to stop whilst I was yacking up. I continued again but wasted probably 5 mins.
  • thanks for that didn't think i had eaten that close to swimming...

have had and ear infection and that felt different though.

maybe i'm making a big thing outa nothin?

Jason you sound like it could be ALOT worse!
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    If you were in the sea then swallowing the salt water can make you feel queasy, or actually be sick. Also, a swell can unbalance you causing motion sickness.

• fatstufatstu Posts: 46
    I'm with Bopo on this one. I almost always end up swallowing a gob full of salt water on our sea swims, usually while I'm trying to look ahead to see where I'm going. Guaranteed to make me want to throw. The other time is when it's too hot (not normally associated with UK sea swims...)