Home Chat General Chat

I am a triathlete

Saturday I competed in my first triathlon. llandovery sprint 400m/25KM/5Km in wet/windy conditions through rough country lanes. I survived.

1:28:50 overall 43/88

7:33 swim

1:00:28 bike (bit dissapointed, cautious with the conditions.)

20:49 run

Overall not to bad for first attempt,

Guy who won did 1:05:29

4:47 swim

43:04 bike

17:38 run

Any thoughts on how to improve the swim time, this is definatly my weakest leg. Would like to improve to 6mins

Comments

• BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Well done, MoS. A good starting point with that swim; don't worry about the bike... if the weather was rubbish and you survived it then good job; a great run, too.

Many of us have given loads of swim tips on here. Hit the 'Search' button and have a look. Anything that's not clear after that then ask away.

Like the 'Triathletes Anonymous' style post title. [:D]
  • j27rtj27rt Posts: 102
    Have you considered having lessons? I am currently having some and the difference in my swimming is incredible (in that now I don't sink as much and I feel more comfortable in the water).
  • I would try some lessons like j27rt said and practice the swim more, about 4 months a go i couldn't hardly swim 2 lengths but with a bit of couching and a lot of training i'm now swimming 400m in 6.30 and 1610m in 31.00 so worth doing.

well done on the tri MoS
  • garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    I wish i could help you MOS but i can't offer any meaningful help i'm affraid. I just wanted to congratulate you on a great first tri result, that run time is impressive. Were you a runner before tri? And how long have you been running because i'm finding running the hardest part at the moment.

Anyway, well done dude. That is a result to be proud of. [:D]
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 335
    well done - Llandovery would be tough even in the sunshine

see you in Cardiff
  • gdh250467gdh250467 Posts: 237
    Congratulations on completing Llandovery it was my first Tri also and the westherweather was less than favourable.

Does anybody know where I can dowload the results?
  • gdh250467 wrote:

Congratulations on completing Llandovery it was my first Tri also and the westherweather was less than favourable.

Does anybody know where I can dowload the results?

Send me your email and Ill forward them to you. There is no link, I left my email and they sent them to me.
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    I cant wait to be able to screa, from the roof tops "I am a triathlete"

Its got to be the best club to join!!!!
  • garyroberts wrote:

I wish i could help you MOS but i can't offer any meaningful help i'm affraid. I just wanted to congratulate you on a great first tri result, that run time is impressive. Were you a runner before tri? And how long have you been running because i'm finding running the hardest part at the moment.

Anyway, well done dude. That is a result to be proud of. [:D]

Thanks, gary. Ive been running for a year, I have done a sub twenty minutes but just coming back from injury (ITBS). The way I run is, in my lunch hour twice a week i run around an industrial thats exactly 5km in perimeter and is pretty flat. Each week a set a new goal of shaving time off with the aid of a heart rate monitor. I started at around 28 to 30 mins and at present done at my best its down to 19 ish minutes.
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    moonshine wrote:

well done - Llandovery would be tough even in the sunshine

see you in Cardiff

Where/when is the Cardiff one? Is it the one on 14th June in Cosmeston? I might think about that for next year (have relatives down there).
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 335
    Jules wrote:

Where/when is the Cardiff one? Is it the one on 14th June in Cosmeston? I might think about that for next year (have relatives down there).

this weekend gulp[&:] will be my first and at no stretch of the imagination will I be doing it at the speeds all the first timers have achieved thus far serves me right for starting something at an age that gets me put down as a veteran[8D]
    Each week a set a new goal of shaving time off with the aid of a heart rate monitor. I started at around 28 to 30 mins and at present done at my best its down to 19 ish minutes.

MOS that's excellent. I've only been running since Jan and haven't really seen any improvement from then to now :o( ..... but i have been plagued with knee and shins issues. I think i'm just pushing too hard too soon, my poor legs hate me!

Anyway, your improvement is encouraging!! A sub 20 mins would be just amazing for me (i'm about 2'4" tall)!! But that's what i need to get to if i'm going to get age-group competitive.

How did you use the HRM effectively? What was your HR plan?

Thanks for the tips so far [;)]
  • garyroberts wrote:
    Each week a set a new goal of shaving time off with the aid of a heart rate monitor. I started at around 28 to 30 mins and at present done at my best its down to 19 ish minutes.

MOS that's excellent. I've only been running since Jan and haven't really seen any improvement from then to now :o( ..... but i have been plagued with knee and shins issues. I think i'm just pushing too hard too soon, my poor legs hate me!

Anyway, your improvement is encouraging!! A sub 20 mins would be just amazing for me (i'm about 2'4" tall)!! But that's what i need to get to if i'm going to get age-group competitive.

How did you use the HRM effectively? What was your HR plan?

Thanks for the tips so far [;)]

I have the advantage, that im 6'2" and long legs. I have a garmin forerunner 50 with a foot pod, HRM and cadence for the bike.

What I do is I know my max heart rate is 192 (highest its ever been). So I take about 80% just below latic threshold (85%). So I warm up and then run as close to 165BPM (80%) All the way round. As you get fitter your time will get faster. I download each run to the PC an see which parts of the run I can improve ie drop below 165BPM
    ound. As you get fitter your time will get faster. I download each run to the PC an see which parts of the run I can improve ie drop below 165BPM 

excellent mate. I have the forerunner 50 too! I'll be posting running progress soon [:D]