Home Chat General Chat

Bloody Virgin couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery

md6md6 Posts: 969
I'm sorry for this rant but...

I am so pissed off with the bloody London Marathon website, and the muppet who designed it. It has been down since before 9 this morning and now it is back up 13 hours later, it still does not get through the registration process. Now why do they need to have 7 seperate screens to provide your details, and given that if it crashes on the 6th page (as it has done 3 times now) you have to start again on page f'ing 1.

I think my head may explode if i carry on trying to fill this form.

Virgin, just f*cking inadequate..... (did you see what i did there...)

P.S I wonder how they will compete with the previously excellent organisation?

Comments

• JonhinioJonhinio Posts: 289
    Give Virgin a break.... it's their first time.
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    [:D] I have to say that made me laugh Jonhinio, i finally managed to get into the ballot at about 11 last night, so only 14 hours after it was supposed to open.
  • md6 wrote:
    Virgin, just f*cking inadequate..... (did you see what i did there...)

[image]http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/01/270916539_5a9c0691ef.jpg[/image]

That website is P-poor.

• JonhinioJonhinio Posts: 289
    I managed to submit my application at 5am this morning. Now just sit back and forget about it....
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    What web address are you using for the ballot?
  • willtriwilltri Posts: 436
    Can't even get past page 1.... [:@][:@][:@][:@]
    @willtri, it is the worst website i've had to use. I think you may have more luck trying late at night/early morning. On the plus side, the site will crash again any time soon so not too many people will be able to register
    oh - page three before it crashed - an imporvement....
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Currently on page 6 of 7.... page 7 of 7... just clicked next.... Wooohoo! I'm in the ballot.

• Yep, im in the ballot now, at last, took me all morning.

Definately the worst website ever...
  • John DJohn D Posts: 11
    Any of you guys applied for "good for age"? Looking as their website it appears that you request a seperate apllication form and not through the ballat system.

Have done the London before but not as a Vet (now 47). Managed 3.11 on sunday. Luckily one of those days where everything went to plan including me not being my stupid self and running too fast at the start.

John D
  • Good for age was sub 3 hrs for under 40's, and sub 3.15 for the 40+ group... those are 'serious runner' times..... would be interesting to see how well a 'good amateur' tri athlete finds a marathon (or is everyone cross-training that seriously these days!)
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Doesn't matter how good your website is, overwhelming demand will slow it down massively/crash it.
    Jules, that is very true, but they haven't designed it in a way that helpd users to avios it crashing. the 7 pages to register, are not necessary and having to click next and wait for the 4-7 pages to load/crash was unnecesary and just poorly thought through. Particularly as when it crashed you had to start from before page 1...very frustrating.

Conhead, I'll bear that in mind for next year, hows IMUK website?
    Why Austria & Germany so popular??

I'm looking for a flatish one to aim for!!
    He shouts and scores.

I am in for the ballot!

Bring it on!
  • Is there a danger that they are closing the ballot after a certain number of applicants?
    Is there a danger that they are closing the ballot after a certain number of applicants?

I hope not.

Page 4....getting there..... crash!!!
    I just kept hitting back and retring. Good luck
    I just kept hitting back and retring. Good luck

Why did i not think if the back button!!

Just done in a couple of minutes what i've been trying to do with the "refresh" button all morning!!! [&:]

Thanks Blinkybaz!
    As we've now derialed this thread - I'll continue the 'derailment'.

Austria, Germany, Lake Placid, Canada, Florida all fill up in milliseconds. This is due to the way Ironman entries work and they're amazing races - as in huge events with 100,000 spectators, they have things like Ironweek - its a total celebration.

For example - anyone doing Austria this year will have the oppertunity to enter next years race at registration (so they don't have to que on tired legs the next day). The day after the race entries open again onsite for anyone who raced or happens to be in the area.

Whatever is left after that goes online usually 11am local time at race site on Monday, so from 2500 slots only 500 may be available online.

So if any Ironman rookies are planning on doing any of the 'big' races this year you'd better be ready in front of your computer as soon as entries open. Or fly to the race and enter on the Monday, which people do. Believe me.

Cheers Conhead,

Who'd have thought triathlon would be so popular....

Next they'll be saying it the fastest growing sport......[:)]
  • diddsdidds Posts: 655
    conehead... do you know if they they give "preferential" applications to IM Austria etc for volunteers e.g. volunteer as a marshall in 2009, get a preferential opportunity to apply for 2010?

didds

• JulesJules Posts: 987
    Conehead wrote:

As we've now derialed this thread - I'll continue the 'derailment'.

Austria, Germany, Lake Placid, Canada, Florida all fill up in milliseconds. This is due to the way Ironman entries work and they're amazing races - as in huge events with 100,000 spectators, they have things like Ironweek - its a total celebration.

For example - anyone doing Austria this year will have the oppertunity to enter next years race at registration (so they don't have to que on tired legs the next day). The day after the race entries open again onsite for anyone who raced or happens to be in the area.

Whatever is left after that goes online usually 11am local time at race site on Monday, so from 2500 slots only 500 may be available online.

So if any Ironman rookies are planning on doing any of the 'big' races this year you'd better be ready in front of your computer as soon as entries open. Or fly to the race and enter on the Monday, which people do. Believe me.

So (out of entirely academic interest) which IMs are the easiest to get into? I'm amazed Lake Placid is considered a more attractive venue than Bolton [;)]
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Moving further down the sidelines,athletes who have entered the Austria 70.3,get till july to enter for the next years Austrian in 2010,before the online entries open,I guess the organisers hope that not too many take up the offer.My maths is poor but if all 2000 ,70.3 athletes enter,and all the 2009 Ironman competitors want to enter the next years it would equal one huge bunfight!!!
    Sod the easiest to get into - anyone know what the "easiest is".

Guess this means coolest, flatest..

Actually - if anyone knows one with a 112m downhill ride that would be lovely!! [:D]
  • CPT333CPT333 Posts: 56
    Haha i just received a text from mum saying 'oops, just entered you in the ballot for next years london marathon' Thats one less thing to worry about. Oh well, had the ironman planned for next year anyway so will be a good training run if nothing else [image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m11.gif[/image]
    sam_thebatman wrote:

Is there a danger that they are closing the ballot after a certain number of applicants?

Yes, they are. There are only 150,000 places in the ballot, and Virgin have sent out a 'newsletter' email saying that they have 70,000 in the ballot already. If you want to enter you won't have long to get into the ballot at this rate...

Sorry i didn't mean to bring this back on topic.

IMUK, any idea why it's in/near Bolton? is it a nice part of the world there, or were there other factors in the choice?
  • iangriffiangriff Posts: 48
    willtri wrote:

Why Austria & Germany so popular?? 

I'm looking for a flatish one to aim for!!

Over heard a couple of guys at the pool this morning talking about Austria and on of them said it was quite flat. Not what you might expect in a Mountainous country.

No idea myself though
  • For info,

I went on the Virgin site a couple of nights ago, at about 1230am and the only screen that took a while was the last, confirming my entry. Everything else went smoothly. Probably best to do it early morning, late night......