Home Chat General Chat

ironman uk 2010

Does anyone no if u can sign up 4 next years ironman uk yet?

Comments

• jon_gjon_g Posts: 318
    you'll have to wait at least until this year's event is done, and then probably a couple of months after that too. from memory (which is pretty shaky at the best of times) after this years event you get the chance to pre-register so that when entries actually open a few months later you get an email letting you know when and the chance to eneter before everyone else.
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Conehead wrote:

We live in an exercise-phobic country populated by NIMBY's (Not In My Back Yard) where Ironman is veiwed as some totally 'whacky' and 'keeeerazy' (said is a cheesy TV presenter voice) activity. Its hard to imagine Ironman Austria being shown on TV in the early hours of a Sunday morning.

Funny how the nation is gripped once a year by the London Marathon, but not by epic events like an Ironman. This might change due to the "fastest growing sport ever" stuff.

Apologies, wandering off topic here.
  • teamspiritteamspirit Posts: 148
    so i guess it up 2 sicko's like us 2 support this event to keep it running
    i just can't believe an event as amazing as that can't find bigger sponsors.
    Perhaps IM UK needs something to capture the public imagination - two guys running across the finish line holding hands maybe? I nominate Conehead and Gary Roberts [:D]
    i second that lol
  • MowfMowf Posts: 272
    The question i have to ask is this: Do we want Ironman Uk to be as big as the London Marathon? At the moment you have to enter a ballot to get into the marathon or run it for charity. And lets face it, it's not really an event as much as big circus.

the Marathon doesnt have cut off times - which is great because otherwise you wouldnt get people raising money by doing it dressed as a jar of olives. But would this work for IM? I doubt it.

IM is the pinnacle of endurance sport and i reckon it should stay that way. Not being elitist, before anyone starts. Just saying it woudl be shame if it turned into a big circus.
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    Conehead wrote:
    ORIGINAL: Jules

Perhaps IM UK needs something to capture the public imagination - two guys running across the finish line holding hands maybe? I nominate Conehead and Gary Roberts [:D]

ha ha[:D][:D] brilliant!

And actually possible as the finish line rules that forbid this only apply to North America!

I'll do it - the whole race - wearing a pink fairy outfit - but only if all my training days fill up.

A Pink Fairy outfit...When are those days again, i'll get my wallet - will you wear it to the training day too?
  • danny_sdanny_s Posts: 235
    Conehead wrote:

I'm saying now, for all to see - if I get 20 people on each of the days I will complete IMUK in a pink fairy outfit. Apart from the swim obviously, and I'll even carry a wand on the run.

You're just trying to be the guy who embarassed me in a half marathon! No more pink fairies! Especially ones faster than me...

• bunongbunong Posts: 49
    With three miles to go, my wife and I get over taken by a centipede at London a couple of years ago - the shame of it[:o][:o]
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Mowf wrote:

The question i have to ask is this: Do we want Ironman Uk to be as big as the London Marathon? At the moment you have to enter a ballot to get into the marathon or run it for charity. And lets face it, it's not really an event as much as big circus.

the Marathon doesnt have cut off times - which is great because otherwise you wouldnt get people raising money by doing it dressed as a jar of olives. But would this work for IM? I doubt it.

IM is the pinnacle of endurance sport and i reckon it should stay that way. Not being elitist, before anyone starts. Just saying it woudl be shame if it turned into a big circus.

Totally agree that it shouldn't be turned into a circus,but if we tell people that they cannot enter because they're dressed as a pink centipede in a tutu carrying 6 breeze blocks then are we deemed to be too elitist.It is a premier event for endurance athletes as the marathon once was,and the London marathon has become just a tick on peoples lists because they saw others do it,to enter you have to be a lucky ballot winner,about 1 in 5 chance,or pay the price by accepting one of the golden tickets,if M dot races go this way,then I am more than happy to enter low profile ones and not be part of the carnival.

Alot of the European races have the Ironman race as the ultimate race from a long weekend of triathlon events.IMCH being a prime example,sprint,junior,olympic distance championships etc,it is more than a race,and after the race relaxing in the hotel room you can watch highlights and an interview with the winner on the swiss equivalent of Talk sport.It would take 4 weeks and a tv spot on channel 4 at 7.30am in this UK before that happened.

Go abroad ,you get better value for money.
    I assume in places where tri is more popular (Conehead mentioned IM Austria) they manage to have a well supported, popular race without it turning into a comedy-costume-fest?

I know to enter the London Marathon you have to go into a ballot. Do they still have a system where if you enter five years in a row and are unsuccessful each year you are guaranteed a place in year 6? Something like that might work for IMUK if it ever got popular enough to be necessary.
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    When M dot came to the Uk in 2001 after about 2 years negotiation the sponsers were few and far between each discipline was sponsered by a different company but the local people were willing to back the event,the councils were supportive,the police were very ameniable,and it brought in much needed monies to the local economy.The course around Snowdonia was awesome,but as it grew commercial influences forced it away from Wales.Now it has bitten the organisers back but the ones that get the bum deal are the sunday warriors.
  • MowfMowf Posts: 272
    Swindon would have it in a heart beat!
  • mumu Posts: 24
    It's a shame IMUK doesn't have more backing and coverage. I'd say that is the problem with running an event that can't build a reputation because of inconsistant venue and course. To become iconic it needs to be a great course (which I think the UK can definitely provide), and a home that will support it for the long term. A course that can be tweaked but not radically changed, so that from year to year people feel they are following in the footsteps of previous competitors. I think it's great to bump into another Ironman UK competitor and think that you have faced the same challenge, not a similar challenge. One where you can say "I found this the most difficult part..." and the other person knows what you mean because they have been there. At the moment it seems like it is a new Ironman every couple of years.

Also chopping and changing is never going to consistantly bring in a top international field. They need to know what they have in store, so they can plan a season and target races. Without the big names, gaining sponsorship and coverage becomes a far larger problem.

I've got my fingers crossed that it's found a home for the next 5 years at least.

Ow....just fell off my high horse. Time to get on my bike!