Home Chat General Chat

should i train every day

Is it wise to train every day or should i force myself into rest days??

in a week my training looks like this

monday 45 min swim

tuesday 3 mile run morning evening 45 min swim

wednesday 10k bike ride

thursday 3 mile run

friday 45 min swim

saturday 3 mile run

sunday 10k bike ride

this can obviously change the order in which i do things but should i stick to doing 2 disciplines in one day and then having a day of in between or do you think its better to train every day.

My distances are not particularly long but i've only just started training and am training for liverpool supersprint so i'm doing race distance in each section.

thoughts?

Comments

• pacman2102pacman2102 Posts: 247
    always have at least one rest day or at least a very easy day at least once a week. It helps your muscles to recover.
  • AndreAndre Posts: 103
    I suspect this'll be different advice than you'll get from most other people, but I don't actually plan in rest days.

If I feel good, I train, if I feel tired, I might change the planned session slightly, and if I'm exhausted and can't face doing what I've planned, I'll either skip the planned session and do something else, or do nothing at all. On top of that, there are inevitably other things that'll get in the way of training and I'll be forced to miss a session; it'd be impossible to plan rest days around the unknown.

I do, however, adjust my training volume over the course of a 4 week training block, building in active recovery, rather than inactive rest. The only time I do plan for rest is in the lead up to a race - and then, it'll only be a day or two.

Just to critique your training - relative to your running, you're spending very little time on the bike. Given that bike work is low impact and usually represents the larger part of the time/distance in an event, I'd say you'd benefit from increasing that.
  • pacman2102pacman2102 Posts: 247
    I have a coach who plan's my workout for 4 weeks at a time and he as 3 realy hard weeks and then a easy week , but he always builds in a day off every week. All athletes should have a day for there body to recover . If you don't you can't put 100 % in and it will lead to injuries even the pro do that . The guy how coach's me coach's about 15 people and most of us have qualified for are age in the european or world . So he must know something [;)]

Pacman I said it'd be different than everyone else! But I also didn't say that I don't rest, I just said I don't plan for it... If I need rest, I take it. That way, I can and do put in 100%.
  • I agreee with the rest day philosophy. As well as getting a rest physically, you get one psychologically. I've noticed after my rest day I'm itching to train again and that means I really push myself and get better times.
  • andyb99andyb99 Posts: 229
    Andre wrote:

Just to critique your training - relative to your running, you're spending very little time on the bike. Given that bike work is low impact and usually represents the larger part of the time/distance in an event, I'd say you'd benefit from increasing that.

Hi Andre, thanks for the advice, the reason i am not doing much on the bike at the moment is its far and away my strongest discipline, and i really need to build up my running and swimming. as the even gets close i'll plan to put running and bike together in one session (swim always has to be seperate although i can do same day...just not one after the other.
  • jacjac Posts: 452
    Andy,

Personally speaking I think rest days are important. It's when you recover, adapt, grow following your training.

I look to have one day off a week over a three week period, and then two off during the fourth week, when I also cut the volume down.

I agree about the bike..Maybe look to doing three bikes a week or at least make one ride a long ride - say on Sunday. Ideally you want to be able to go double the distance that you're racing (unless you're doing an Ironman!)

Maybe mix your runs up a bit as well. Do one longer run - building up to 5 or six miles. Keep one shorter but a bit faster than your normal 3 mile.

And break your swim into intervals..don't just do the distance you have to swim on the day. Similar to the other two I'm making sure I can go over distance in the swim. It will help build your endurance but also give you confidence.

Not sure when your race is but also look to doing a brick bike/run every week just to get used to running off the bike.

Just a few thoughts that have helped me in my training.

Certainly I'd say yes to rest days. Sometimes it's hard to take a day off and you feel you're losing fitness but you are actually helping yourself become fitter.

Best of luck.

• JulesJules Posts: 987
    Personally, from a very inexperienced point of view, I would say ditch one bike and do double the distance on one day, take the other day off.

I have at least two rest days most weeks, out of necessity due to time pressure, not for any training reason and it doesn't seem to make much difference as far as I can tell.
    Thanks jac and jules, I'm only doing a supersprint as this is my first time....bike riding i've done for a long time (MBK) but i've now got a decent hybrid bike, i can easily go out and do 15 miles on the bike which is why i'm concentrating on swimming and running...swimming is getting better...i did 2 times race distance last night with hardly any stops and i've a lot of time to improve yet (plus getting some coaching on that) running i can go further but again want to build this up so i can go further regularly.

thanks for the advice though guys, i'll plan on a rest day a week at least.

one more Q, if i start running and my hamstring feels tight....should i stop or try and run through it???...i played footy for 30 years and never suffered from hamstring problems so its a new one on me....i carried on and it eased but that could make it worse right??

by the way, this is a great sport, i'm really looking forward to doing the small one (just so i can learn the ropes) then move up to sprint (i hope).

If you're feeling tight during training, take the time to stop and stretch - you're training and so there's no pressure to beat someone else or a particular time.

However, you should also look at the cause: are you over-striding? Have you got the wrong shoes for your running style?

Bare in mind that coming off the bike, you'll likely have tight hamstrings anyway, so anything you can do now to try improve that and prevent injury, is definitely worth doing.
  • If your hamster feels tight, just loosen it's leash a bit.

Seriously though - you should stop and do stretch it, then start again. If it comes back repeat. If you've had to do that more than 5 times it's probably time to walk for 5 mins then try and start again.

I find the best stretch for a hamstring is:

both feet flat on floor side by side. Put left foot forward on floor keeping right foot flat on floor to make an upside down Y with your body; feet should point directly forwards. Bend the left knee keeping the right foot flat on the floor. If you can't feel any tension, bend your torso forwards over your left leg, keeping your torso facing forwards, not to one side. I got this from a physiotherapist I saw years ago and it's always worked for me since.
    cheers guys i'll take it all on board.