Home Chat General Chat

Garmin Edge 705 and Maps

I'm about to buy the Edge 705 and probably the City Navigator map. I can't find out the following easily

- if I buy the CD, does an SD card version come in the same packet?

- I understand that the CD version is best for planning routes. How do I export the route to the Edge - using an SD card or USB cable?

I'm grateful for any advice!

Comments

• jibby26jibby26 Posts: 261
    The edge does have on 512mb board memory. I didn't (couldn't afford to) buy the maps for the edge when I purchased it and found I could download free routable street maps for it from www.openstreetmap.org (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin/Download). I loaded these into the onboard memory. You can't make routes on the computer with them but to make a route I use www.mapmytri.com and then export the route as a GPX file which I then just put on the onboard memory. If you planning on doing lots of long rides with lots of road changes then buying the DVD version of Garmin City Navigator and using mapsource is proably a good idea, I don't know how large the UK maps are however and if you would need an SD card, but you can get one for £3 so it's proably advisable. I've also just found www.bikeroutetoaster.com which can create routes online from google maps. The edge opens on the computer just like a digital camera so you can drag and drop GPX files onto the device. If you do buy an SD card make sure it is no bigger than 2GB as the edge will not recognise it.
  • steved25steved25 Posts: 37
    Hi There.

thank you for your post on the maps

I hope you don't mind me asking but is there a way to display your heart rate on the screen of the 705

on the packaging and advertising it shoes a picture of a map with speed and Heart rate at the top

But for all the fumbling around with my big fingers i can not get it to work.

Thanks all

steve
  • jibby26jibby26 Posts: 261
    I haven't got it in front of me at the moment, but from memory you need to press menu, then scroll down to system with the thumb stick and click, then data fields and click. Choose the screen you want to display it on (Map, Course, Bike Computer 1, Bike Computer 2 etc). It will then give you the option of selecting how many data fields you want to display, I have 4 on the map screen. You can then scroll through them with the stick, click on each one and it brings up a list of available fields, scroll through the list till you find Heart Rate and click it. I have Speed, Distance, Cadence and Heart Rate.

It's on page 48 of the big manual

Edge 705 Manual
    TOP MAN

Many thanks

i will try tonight

steve
  • Chris JChris J Posts: 71
    IS this a valuable aid to training? I am going to commence a 36 mile each way commute once a week and may need to vary my route to avoid the busiest of roads. Can I 'sell' it to my wife as indispensible?
    Indispensable it is not. but clever and sexy it is ....

It is great to download other peoples routes or just go out get lost and find your way back

I love it.

cheers

steve

• abrewerabrewer Posts: 41
    Absolutely - you can also "sell" it to her on the idea that she can track exactly where you have been.

I don't commute that far (14 miles) so generally know the roads anyway so don't use it for that. Remember the function "Avoid Major Roads" as it may take you over the Hammersmith flyover which is not a good idea.... bitter experience
  • Chris JChris J Posts: 71
    The Hammersmith flyover would be a detour - I live on the Oxon/Wilts border! I like the idea of the better halfbeig able to track me day or night. Although I do like to keep her on her toes...