Home Chat General Chat

Time for Money

Hi Just2Tri

My guess (based on what i've learned from the forum folk) is (in order):

Pedals and shoes

Tri-bars

Wheels

I can't give any other specifics as i'll be learning as much as you!

Comments

• just2trijust2tri Posts: 198
    Ok, I am using a Specialized Sirrus Comp for my first Tri on Monday. Once I have the tri bug, what should I spend my money on in order to improve on my bike time? What is the best time (reduction) for money spent if I had to pick only one:

- drop handlebar

- tri handlebar

- bike shoes and pedals

- new wheels

- anything else

Thanks for your advice!
  • Definitely pedals and shoes - this makes a massive difference, but keep the pedals set nice and loose to start with while you get used to them - it takes time for clipping out to become second nature and I spent early days with my new pedals lay on my side at junctions with bike still attached. Very embarassing and sometimes painful.
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Pedals and shoes took 10 mins off my 30K time. I reckon you should get them first.

Make sure you go and try them on before buying as a good fit is important.
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Blinkybaz wrote:

Pedals and shoes took 10 mins off my 30K time. I reckon you should get them first.

Make sure you go and try them on before buying as a good fit is important.

That much? Blimey. I really need to speak to the WAT officer about this...
    [It shocked me as well. I wasnt a great cyclist then and syill not great but because you are pulling up as well as pushing down with the pedal spped is more consistant.
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Did you have toeclips before Baz, or just pedals with nothing at all?
    I had toe clips and used my running trainers. The toe clips never fitted well and I was always having to concentrate to much on keeping my foot in them. The shoes I have now are shimano SPD-SL thingies and SPD pedals. I feel so much more at home with them on! The only thing is remembering how to get unclipped when stopping at traffic lights!

I really recommend getting some. JEJAMESCYCLES.co.uk had a sale the other day. I got mine there. I did pop down the LBS and tried some on before buying.
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Blinky,

I agree as I got Look Keo Classic and Shimano Tri shoes from Santa. First time I tried to use them however I feel on side, couldn't unclip and fell onto my grass. Didn't even get out the garden!!

After that I felt my times were so much better.
  • Ron99Ron99 Posts: 237
    I know everyone's already said this, but pedals and clip-in shoes are a whole different experience. You get power into the whole pedal revolution. Might take a bit of getting used to though - I concentrated on working one leg at a time (try it on a spin bike), so that I was putting in an equal amount of power all way round.

Getting out of the pedals is scary to begin with, but you just have to get on with it. Just concentrate and remember you need to get out when you're coming to a stop. I mostly get out well before any junctions - its easy to get back in if the lights change. BTW - clipping out is kind of a 'heel out' thing - move your heel out, and away from the bike.
  • MowfMowf Posts: 272
    Conehead's training days.
  • just2trijust2tri Posts: 198
    Thanks a lot for all the replies, shoes and pedals it will be .... and then maybe Conehead's training day if WAT officer approves.

Will do my Thames Turbo tri on Monday with toe clips and trainers, target time is sub 1.25, and then might do the same one in August and see the improvement.

Very excited now with my first tri coming up and starting to feel the nerves. I will do transition training over the weekend, have been jumping out of the shower practicing to put socks on wet feet every morning this week ... the kids think it is hilarious and now do not want to dry off after their bath/shower either! Well, get them used to it early I say!

Completed a bike/run brick yesterday and did a slow 1.5k swim this morning. Two more easy days commuting to work (40k each day) and one more easy run tomorrow. Nothing planned for Saturday and Sunday ....

Cannot wait to go from multi-sport enthusiast to becoming a triathlete! Again, thanks for all the support, advice and help from this forum!
  • j27rtj27rt Posts: 102
    When I use my pedals I dont have an issue with the unclipping (no falls so far) it is the clipping back in I struggle with, I probably try to rush it so end up messing it up!