Home Chat General Chat

Benefits of training with a HR monitor

I don't have a HR monitor and don't do any of my training with one. I usually listen to my body and know if I'm working hard or if I need to take it easy.

What are the big benefits of using one?

I worried that I won't really utilise it the way it should be used as I find it hard to ease off when I know I can do more!

Comments

• iangriffiangriff Posts: 48
    Happy

I bought myself a polar RS200 and later on a CS 200 to stick on my bike.

If i think back to when i bought them i think i was planning to use them to structure my training around HRs, but it never worked out that way.

Whilst training i do look at my HR to see what kind of effort i'm putting in and then adjust myself to either work harder or lighter.

If your looking to count the calories when your exercising then the HR monitor will let you know.

One bit of kit i would thoroughly recommend though is a training log I started of using a homemade excel spread sheet then splashed out around £30 on a programme called iSMARTtrain. if your HR monitor is compatible then you can download your exercise details direct into the program.

Gives you a great visualization of how much training you've been doing.

Have fun.

• md6md6 Posts: 969
    I like to use my HR when base training. My garmin allows me to set upper and lower limits, and it beeps if i exceed either. It helps me to keep at a lower effort level, i have found that for the same HR my pace per mile is 1min quicker (down to 8:30 or so for ave HR of 150). Which in turn has knoked a min and a half off my race pace (now about 7min over 5k from 8min, 7:30 for 10k previous 9min).

I think it is really good. But i think it depends on how you train. If you are going on RPE then i think HR is good as it gives you an idea of what RPE is in 'real' terms - well it des for me anyway.

• GGBGGB Posts: 482
    I use my HRM on all my runs and rides - great bit of kit.

On my runs I try to keep it at a steady level and then look at the results over a period of time to see where I am improving speed against same HR.

I also found it very useful in my first duathlon - on the 2nd run my HR was way too high so I slowed down until it was acceptable, this enabled me to complete the race running as apposed to collapsing 500 yards from the line and getting a DNF.

• JulesJules Posts: 987
    I used mine more in the winter, keeping my HR low enough on slow endurance runs.

Races, I don't bother personally. There's enough things to remember, I just stick to perceived effort.
  • Thanks for the advice. I might get one and give it a go even if it is just for long runs and see what happens. Hoping I can avoid over training and therefore injury by seeing for myself that I need to ease up a bit.