Home Chat General Chat

£300 Bike

I know this has been asked a dozen times before but deals change all the time. I'm on the lookout for a £300 bike for a friend who wants to join me in triathlon. We live on the Isle of Wight so most ebay bargains are difficult as they're collection only. I've been looking at secondhand bargains locally but nothing is coming up.

Any ideas what a fair £300 bike would be? I've looked at Raleigh Airlite 200, Dawes Giro 300 and Giant SCR 4 but any other thoughts would be most appreciated. He'll need it within the next 3 weeks or so and biketowork is not an option at the moment.

Thanks

Mat

Comments

• iangriffiangriff Posts: 48
    Mat

Firstly does your friend have any sort of bike they can use for the first event?

lots have people have done their fit tri on a banger.

They don't want to rush a decision or end up with a bike they find doesn't suit them down the line.

Secondly The Giant cold be worth a serious look.

the components fitted to a bike is what can make one stand out from another. Giant are a big global company and can afford to put the next spec up than competitors models.

Get on the web check out the manufacturers sites and look and the components on each bike.

Ultimately though your friend needs to try out the bike.

best of luck

• MintyMatMintyMat Posts: 98
    Thanks for that. I was thinking the Giant too. I have an OCR3 and I love it. He doesn't have any bike and has never ridden a bike with gears!
  • andyb99andyb99 Posts: 229
    i got a claud butler 300 hybrid the other day,,,,it was £295 and i have to say i'm really pleased with it...i got a hybrid cause i live on the edge of the countryside an like to train on trails as well as roads so a pure road bike wasnt an option. it's really light, yet strong really looks the part and will do me a couple of tri seasons (only sprint at the most) at least.

check em out...http://www.buyabikedirect.co.uk , it's last years model but they have quite a few bargains.
  • BlurredgirlBlurredgirl Posts: 292
    Just wanted to say quickly - if you are offered a second-hand Giant OCR (small size, red and white) do let me know! I had my beloved Giant stolen on the Isle of Wight last September and have been wondering what became of it.....

blurredgirl

I'll keep my eyes peeled, there's not loads of road bikes around, you never know.
  • BlurredgirlBlurredgirl Posts: 292
    Cool. At the time of nicking it had an adjustable stem and egg-beater pedals....

As for your budget bike - the Giant SCR 4 would be a very good bet. It's had some great write-ups.

blurredgirl

• BexHBexH Posts: 226
    Mines a Claude Butler too- have been told by LBS that it is a great bike for what I paid for it (I bought it somewhere else) It was a smidgen under £300 but have seen cheaper since then. Here's a link http://reviewsaver.co.uk/review/Claud-Butler-Criterium-2008-Road-Bike-1226307020. Plus it's a bit black and a bit red. But no carbon.... Oh and I got it just outside Lymington so a quick trip on the ferry and you're sorted!
    That Dawes looks great, I've found the 2009 model for £296.

http://www.holcroscycles.com/productdetail/2243/Claud-Butler-Criterium-Road-Bike-(2009).html

Reckon it could be the one.
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    Cycling Plus has just done a test on 5 bikes under £400 - the resounding winner been the Carrera Virtuoso from Halfords coming in at £300 - (I have this bike, great ride and very pleased with it, its no racewinner but great bike all the same).