Home Chat General Chat

Energy/Protein Drinks

Hi

Thought I would introduce myself and ask the first of what I'm sure will be many questions! I've seen loads of great tips on here already and everyone seems to be really friendly.

I am a 33 year old lady taking up triathlon for the first time starting with Blenheim then I'm thinking about doing the Bananaman at Eton (longer than a sprint but not the full OD). I did the London Duathlon last September and I've been hooked ever since!

I was wondering what people thought about energy/protein drinks? I tried Science in sport PSP22 energy drink at the weekend, it did the trick and made me feel pretty strong in the second half of a 5k run but it gave me indegestion for days after! I suffer from IBS and am thinking I might have trouble finding a drink that agrees with me. Is it worth using energy/protein drinks before and during the race (I know I will need something to drink during the bike section) or am I better off just trying to carb load through my diet alone? Do you guys have any recommendations?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Protien drinks might be a nightmare for you . .

Myprotien.co.uk now do samples so you could order a few samples and see what if any agree with you

• BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Hello and welcome!

You are right about the forum, it is a good place to pick up tips and general good info. All the people on here are great! (brownie points for me)

So Protein drinks? Hmmm..........I have asked this before and I did try it once for a month. i see no positives to tell you. I found it just cost alot. I am now using semi skimmed milk and a banana all mixed up in a smoothie.

Cant comment on energy drinks but have used to ones off the self in sainsburys.

For more info try http://forum.220magazine.com/tm.asp?m=21554&mpage=1&key=protein%2Cshakes&#21560

Good luck
  • I use protien shakes after work outs or if i need a quick snack and have nothing decent to eat. Generally protien shakes are best shortly after training as the protien will aid muscle repair. I would never use them whilst doing a run, may leave you with a upset stomach, and i see no benefit of taking them whilst running/cycling really. Energy drinks though i do use in training and racing, especially if training is over an hour or so.
  • PlumbudPlumbud Posts: 9
    Thanks for the advice guys. I like the sound of a milk and banana smoothie!