Home Chat Race Chat

Ironbridge

rebborebbo Posts: 58
Anyone in for this? I've just got my start time for the sprint & am getting very nervy, since I've never swum that far before! EEK!

Comments

• madnursemadnurse Posts: 782
    hi rebbo - which are you doing the oly or the sprint ??
  • loonytoonloonytoon Posts: 673
    Rebbo - I am in the sprint... male under 30 class off at 7:45
  • the_moidthe_moid Posts: 23
    hi guys,

starting in the 30-39 age group (males) off at 7:40.

will have on my new stafford tri club tri suit for the first time [;)]

Stu

get you ... new racing suit .... is the business ? will it strike fear into all those around you ? or did you get it cos it matches your bike ?
  • rebborebbo Posts: 58
    only the sprint - as a novice, I am doing sprints this year & hoping to step up to Olys next year. So I too have a new race suit - local club one (PACTRAC - Peterborough), with sponsorship & everything. Looks dead professional...
    madnurse wrote:

get you ... new racing suit .... is the business ? will it strike fear into all those around you ? or did you get it cos it matches your bike ?

looks pretty good - would look better if i lost some more weight. being 6 feet 4 and 15 stone strikes fear into people until they see how slowly i move...

but it does happen to match my bike as well [:D]

Stu

Rebbo... which age group are you in i.e. what time is start?

i'll be the one in a swim cap and black wetsuit ;)

30-39 Loony, which is 7.40 I think.

Will look out for you at the race - can't be that many in that kit, apart from you. And me. And...
    oh yeah not the unquie after all ;) -

foor quantum2 - bald as coot and will probably have a bright yellow cap on under my offical race cap...

good luck..

i assume you will have a new ensemble to slip on for London .. afterall it wouldnt be the done thing to waer the same outfit twice in public two events running... maybe something in peach off the shoulder with an open back and plunging neckline ???? accessorise with a few diamente items to catch the sun as you swish past the crowd towards the finish. or are are you going full on ... complete wardrobe change in each transistion .. now thats elite triathlon stuff.

maybe i lay off the orange carb drinks ??

mad
    I think the off the shoulder and open back and plunging neck line look may fail on the compulsorary wet suit front

I will completly changing my wardrobe in T1 but only my shoes in t2

just pray you don't get drug tested nurse!!![:)][:)]

so, how did you guys get on ??

swim went well, was out of the water in 14 minutes - only problem i have is the cold tightens my chest up and it takes a while for my breathing to relex (asthma related), need to try to work out how to sort this out for the future.

i made the mistake of drinking too mcuh too close to the start of the race, which lead to stomach cramps on the bike. this was not ideal when going up the devils own hill [:@] soon sorted it by throwing up at the top though [:D]

also got halfway to the road with my bike out of transition to realise i have forgoten my number belt, so have to leg it back for that ....that will teach me to leave the belt on my trainers and not on my bike.

felt ok on the run, training starting to pay off on my weakest discipline so that is good !

finished in approx. 1.43, waiting for the times to be published to see the splits.

next race is first olympic distance in wolverhampton tri in 5 weeks time, so some hard training ahead ...

cheers

Stu

I think a very similar time to you, Stu - but will need to wait for official timing since I turned my watch off it was beeping so much! Great swim - I was really pleased with 18 minutes, so 14 is a great effort. And I very nearly joined you in depositing my breakfast at the top of the hill, but just about managed to keep it down...

To avoid the number belt problem (aussuming you were in one) you could put the belt on under your wetsuit - just remember to pull the number round to the front to avoid it getting caught in the zip.

Tom
    swim went really well - 24mins according to the provisional sheets (so probably 20 out of the water it was a long way to trans) but well done guys on your swim times...

Bike went okay - what the f[:@][:@]k is that hill about... on my second lap I started at the same time as a runner(lost if part of the event) and we got to the top at the same time scary...did find it 2 hard (relatively) just slow.. got down to 3mph at one point most of the time was 5/6.

And then to the run...what can I say why I thought naye why I was convinced from the start that it was 2 laps I have no idea suffice to say ran 2 laps big final 400m finished crossed line...when my wife catches up with me tells me she thought it was (and was correct in this) three laps...bugger...roll on the DQ ,a spell in the corner with the dunce's hat on and a lesson learnt..

it was a good brick session.....

what did you guys think on the venue...it was I though absolutely stunning and will definately be on my race calendar next year (and I will complete it this time)...it would because of the camping make a good when for a forum meet

it's a lovely venue. i only live 30 mins or so away, and my mother in law lives at the bottom of the nasty hill [;)]

would be cool to race there next year with a meet up before hand ...

Loony - didn't see you at the start, owing to SO many people turning up to the party in the same dress! Who'd have thought?

Going up the hill at the same speed as a runner sounds great - so those people I saw pushing their bikes up the hill had the right idea! And those people pushing their bikes down the hill were probably even wiser...

That's disastrous about the running - but there were signs saying "2 wristbands", so I guess in your confused state (I know I was) you mis-read it? D'oh! I saw a woman 'finish' the sprint and then go back for another lap, so you weren't alone!
  • pacrfishpacrfish Posts: 266
    Well done guys, I'd heard that hill is a killer.

Bad luck loonytoon - how frustrating. Maybe we should start a thread on 'mistakes we have made during races' - think you'd feel better when you see all the rest ...

Yeah - not that I missed the signs I just seemed to have completly failed to acknowledge what was on them... if it hadn't been 2 or 3 minutes b4 my wife found me and mentioned it I'd have gone for another lap...

ah well...was a shame as well when the posted the provisional times the 2laps I did were reasonably fast as well...

I total brain fade...gonna by a marker pen so I can write lap numbers on my arm there by forcing me to read carefully the race info

---

yeah...was out of saddle for the whole climb..but ground away to make it to the top (twice) ...if only those people pushing back down knew the joys of the 40mph+ hill at the end of the lap...

I got to swim start just as you wave went off...

photos are up! Was generous/short-sighted of the photographer to stand outside transition, when he could have stood at the top of the first hill to capture what triathlons really feel like!
    hi rebbo Loon & the other ironbridgers ... the old saying is if you aint got a photo it didnt happen ... if you'll let us know your race number we can all enjoy your photos [:)]
    I was 80 & the wife 260 I think (the other Rebbitt) - disappointed with the wetsuit one, which in my mind looked much more glamorous and not like I'm having a seizure...
    92 - looks like it was hurting as much as i thought [:o]
    nice one gents glad I wasn't the only one suffering