Home Chat General Chat

I bloody love training......

Just thought I'd share it with the group. Had 6 great sessions over the last 3 days and long may it continue.

Something very addictive is occurring in that the more great sessions I have the more I want to train and train!

3 a day training sessions anyone?!?!?!?!

Comments

• md6md6 Posts: 969
    Careful not to over do it, then like me you will have a few enforced rest days, and hate every second of them. Oh how i miss proper training, 2 or 3 sessions a day fantastic, most wekends, I swim then bike then run on saturday, then do a long session on the bike/run and a gentle swim to recover/ try to force myself to keep some technique when tired, or i skip that and have another run/ride...

My name is Mark, and I am an addict
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    I wish I could go for a run or a 2hr cycle during the day. I work terrible hours, spend 2hrs most morning travelling to work, then 2hrs back.

I have to travel about from construction site to construction site and this means that my only time to train is from about 7.30pm at night.

I try to make up for it at the weekends but its not the same. I would love to some more training like what conehead has mentioned.

Never mind!
  • diddsdidds Posts: 655
    sghadowone1... I guess 9statig the bleedin obvious sybil probably) that you just have to concentrate on quality rather than quantity... nought wrong with that of course. Then just use the weekends for the LSD stuff.

are you able to train at lunchtime?

(I'm sure you've been here in your head loads of times during those 2 hr commutes :-( ).

Commutes... lots of time to listen to triathlon podcasts burned onto a CD/usb stick I guess!

didds

• andyb99andyb99 Posts: 229
    I'm with you OP...i'm close to the 2 week mark...my swimming has improved like i wouldnt have thought possible, my running is getting better too....both things i've never been able to do (always ok with bike) and i'm loving it....i just hope i enjoy the event enough to step up wit middle distance then i'll really have to take it seriously.
  • shadowone1 wrote:

I wish I could go for a run or a 2hr cycle during the day. I work terrible hours, spend 2hrs most morning travelling to work, then 2hrs back.

I have to travel about from construction site to construction site and this means that my only time to train is from about 7.30pm at night.

I try to make up for it at the weekends but its not the same. I would love to some more training like what conehead has mentioned.

Never mind!

What about incorporating your training into your commute? Could you run to car, then drive to work and do the same at the end of the day?

I run to work and back every day and I love it. I'm fortunate enough that I live 4 miles from work so it only takes 1/2 an hour. I love it as I get to my desk knowing I've already done a session before 9am
  • garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    training is a funny thing.......the more you do the more you want more. Just like addictive stuff. Therefore after this lengthy paper i hereby conclude that training IS addictive.

But i think the level of addiction is in direct proportion to your fitness/racing/timing goals. If you are lacking in the goals department you will not train to the same level or degree as you would if your goals were very clearly defined (i'm beginning to sound like a self-help book).

So, for all those who are addicted, i put it to you that you have very clearly defined goals (you know what you're aiming for and when you need to be ready by).....am i right?

And for those that read this and think, 'that's not how i feel', my guess is that you do not have a particular race planned, or that the race you are thinking of is so far in the distance that its not a clear enough picture in you mind.

My advise, jump in, get hooked, BOOK THAT RACE, get the clear goal, and get addicted.

[8|]

• j27rtj27rt Posts: 102
    Mr Roberts you are right as ever! Bring on Monaco!
  • WannabetriWannabetri Posts: 219
    Too true! IMUK is looming at less than 13 weeks and feeling invigorate by the thought of doing races in the near future!!!

I think I'm getting excited by the prospect of racing, so it's driving my training on.

Have an 80mile Sportif coming up. MD, OD and OWS followed by the IM. All in that order.

I seriously love Triathlon.[sm=kiss.gif]
  • work is rest.

• shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408

[/quote]

What about incorporating your training into your commute? Could you run to car, then drive to work and do the same at the end of the day?

I run to work and back every day and I love it. I'm fortunate enough that I live 4 miles from work so it only takes 1/2 an hour. I love it as I get to my desk knowing I've already done a session before 9am

No chance of me incorporating training into the commute. My work is approx 50 miles away from my home. I then had to travel 110 miles in between construction sites and then 50 mile back home.

Its one of those things unfort that I need to travel where the work is rather than having a fixed place of work.
  • JessterJesster Posts: 482
    I train before work and then i train at work and when i'm not training at work i'm bowling at work or shooting hoops with the guys at work or doing a 5k fun run or taking my bike out in work time up the runway or go on the climbing wall.

Hell, we get allowed three hours of work time a week where we get paid to work out. And i get free passes to use the local pool too. and when i'm not 'working' i'm on this forum.

God bless the Americans. [:D]

and when i want a rest
  • MowfMowf Posts: 272
    Swam this morning - cycling when i get home from work. Training rules.

The only thing that sucks about training is when you can't. I meant to go out last night but couldnt - i was in a foul mood all evening!
  • SwizzlenapSwizzlenap Posts: 160
    Blimey Jesster, what on earth do you do for a living?? Sounds brilliant.
    I work for the US Navy at RAF ST Mawgan as a fitness instructor/rec assistant. And I live right on some of the best surf in the country.

In fact i'm so jammy, i am made entirely of jam with a little jam hat and some jam hoop earrings [:D]
    I did three yesterday...

500m swim (lake 32)

52 K bike

2.5K run (brick).

Then 1000m in the pool in the evening.

Does that count as three or four?

had today off :-)

Two a day is not unusual, but I can;t claim that they are necessarily particularly major sessions... as a newbie still I have only last week cracked a 10 hour week for the first time. Probably Sundays are my heaviest days as they are a long/enduyrance run or bike in the morning and an hour's swim set in the evening.

didds
    Jesster, in my next life i want to be you!

[;)]

Thats funny Gary, looking at the splits for your first tri, i was kinda wishing i was you!!! [8D]
    Wow Jesster that's brilliant. no wonder their air force is better than ours, i thought my (american) employers were good providing free fruit and cereals but now i think they're stingy and should install a gym for us to use during work hours.

Just off to google the hearest USAF base to me - hopefully i wont find anti-terrorism police kicking my front door down at 4am as a result...maybe not such a good idea
    Just wanted to thank contributors to this thread.......if it wasn't for reading this earlier i wouldn't have gone out on the bike, and tackled the biggest hill climb i've ever done.......now i'm so glad i did.

I love training yes, but hate hills (when i'm on the way up them), and then love them again when i look back and think yeah........gotcha [;)]

Today's training was saved from the jaws of tiredness by you!
  • MowfMowf Posts: 272
    didds wrote:

500m swim (lake 32)

didds

Is that over at Keynes Country Park?
    Mowf wrote:

Is that over at Keynes Country Park?

Yup, that's right Mowf. lake 32, waterland (sprattsgate lane).

didds

• pacman2102pacman2102 Posts: 247
    I have just come back from a 19 day training camp where we were training at least 6 hour a day and some days 8 . I miss it loads as I am back in the UK and having to work to pay for it.

Got really down on sunday as I was told I couldn't train for a few days as I was told to rest after such hard work.

But did a 6 mile run yesterday and tonight 1 hour open water swim and a hour run training

so bring on the training
  • Ron99Ron99 Posts: 237
    That sounds a bit hard core for where I am at the moment, but I am finding the same as the everyone else here - the more training I do, the more I want to train. Working from home from next week on, so plenty of opportunity to get in the pool when it's quiet, and out on the roads when its not so busy. Happy days!
    Ron, I know what you mean, i try and use my cycle commute to train and leave early enought that i get to work but about 7:30 so i can have half hour run, shower and have brekkie before work, and still start early! Then a run at lunchtime and cycle home makes it a great day training wise. that's my day today, i love it, and i love training.
  • just2trijust2tri Posts: 198
    That's what I do md6, twice a week off to the pool at 6am, then commute to work and home by bike. Twice a week commute to work by bike followed by a run (the breakfast after that one is just so jummy and by the time the rest of the guys come in at 8.00 am I am all done) and bike home. This way I get most of my training done without cutting into the family quality time! Just have to figure out how to get away with a long cycle/run on the weekend ...
    just2tri wrote:
    Just have to figure out how to get away with a long cycle/run on the weekend ...

Sat : get up at 5.30am, breakfast, out of the door by 6am, 3 hour ride, back at 9 am just as everyone is finishing breakfast and can feed you your second [:)]

Sun: get rest of family to go to church, but declare yourself an atheist. get out on your LSD while they are singing and praying. Stop at pub towards end for a couple of pints, get home just as Sunday lunch is being served up.[:)]

Sorted!

didds

• just2trijust2tri Posts: 198
    Bless your family and their singing abvilities, I guess your kids are not up and ready to rock at 5.30 am like mine .... ?!

Love the pub suggestion!