Home Chat General Chat

Thames Turbo

Anyone doing Thames Turbo on Monday?

Comments

• just2trijust2tri Posts: 198
    Yep, I am on for my first tri! Wave hello as you pass the tall guy on the commuter bike!
  • gunforhiregunforhire Posts: 457
    Yup. First event of the year.[:)]

Looks like I might need my wellies though!
  • love2trilove2tri Posts: 7
    Yep i am doing this...did race 1 and cant wait for monday!
  • brizzichickbrizzichick Posts: 166
    it's my first sprint tri....a couple of mates are doing this too...looking forward to it...pls don't tell me it gonna rain?? don't mind overcast but not rain!

I'll be the one with the smilie on my race number and most likely coming somewhere way in the back of the pack [&:]
  • julesojuleso Posts: 279
    It'd be great if someone would write briefly on how they found racing in this series; I was thinking of doing one later in the summer.
  • mkamka Posts: 26

I did race 1 and thought it was brilliant – very friendly & not too intimidating, great organisation and marshalling – in short can’t recommend it enough!

The bike is flat & fast though the road in some bits isn’t great & has a few potholes, be careful at the roundabout near Hampton Court as there can be a bit of traffic & don’t go through the red light near the water works - stop & wait or dismount & walk bike round.

The run is also flat & mainly on gravel or the pavement, so it’s fast. The bike racks are number by the start order, so it’s easy to find your spot in T1 & T2.

There’s a 7min non competing zone at the end of the bike, so use it! This means you can go for it on the bike - it only takes 3-4mins to get back to the pool, so take your time and recover have a drink, use the toilet etc, also an opportunity to take off shoes and any long sleeved top you may have worn before entering T2.

Few tips on what not to do

- stopping to duck under lane rope isn’t a very efficient way to change lanes (so practice ducking under lane ropes before the event)

- if wearing tri suit, one piece is probably better than two piece – I wore two piece and even though I’d tucked the top into the shorts, not very fashionable I know but thought the pocket would fill up with water if I didn’t, which they did anyway & I was also terrified that the shorts would be pulled down when pushing off from the wall – so before the event have a practice swim in what you’re planning to wear.

- don’t phaff in transition & have a debate with yourself with a do I/do I not need to put on a long sleeved top for the cycle – as you’d expect this wastes loads of time so much so that someone who looked like they had a flat tyre and had to change it beat me out of transition.

- again don’t have a similar debate as above in T2 – socks/no socks etc..

- in the swim don’t overtake someone then on the next lap proceed to do breaststroke very slowly in front of them (not me doing this, the t*sser that overtook me who obviously flew down the first 3 lengths at speed then ran out of gas with the realisation there were another 9 laps to go – rant over now). Also don’t stop & stand up in the middle of the pool (again I didn’t do this, it was a friend of the t*sser that overtook me & then did breaststroke). So it’s really advisable to put down your correct 400m swim time not just a random one that you think you can do.

• love2trilove2tri Posts: 7
    Juleso, I am a member of the thames turbo so maybe a bit biased?

Its a very freindly event that all levels are made to feel welcome....

Nice warm swimmining all year round.....

Flat cycle route and a great run course through Bushy park! Watch out for the deers [:-]

Seriously though a great event and great value at £35...
  • julesojuleso Posts: 279
    Brilliant. Thanks mka & love2tri; I bet those people who will be racing it on Monday will read your posts with interest! Sounds great and no wetsuit required - bonus!
    MKA, I need to stay out of your way during the swim, as I do a crawl/breast stroke combo (it was NOT me during the last race, as Monday will be my first tri). What was your swim time and what did you put down for the 400m?
    mka...this is brilliant...thanks for the post and the advice...i'll take it all on board for monday....

i've never done a pool swim so when you say don't stop and duck under the ropes, do you mean just swim under? i know i'm being stupid but can you explain a little more??

• mkamka Posts: 26
    brizzichick - you do 12 laps so there's 2 laps in each lane. From watching the faster swimmers it looked like they swam near to the lane rope towards the end of the 2nd lap then turned & swam under the lane ropes.. i tried and failed miserably at that.

just2tri - i'm a rubbish swimmer so have no problem with anyone doing a front crawl/breaststroke combo, the guy that set off behind me seemed like he was trying to beat everyone in the pool and overtook in the middle of the lane, but he then collapsed after just 3 laps - just a bit annoying, he also spread out his stuff where my bike place was in transition but that's another rant..

Good luck on Monday!

Good Luck to you MKA and I hope you have clear waters! Race numbers and start orders are out already. Being a very slow swimmer I am number 95, so quite a bit earlier in the pool than the rest of you ... say hi if you find the time!

Enjoy and thanks for your race info and detailed brief!
  • WoolyWooly Posts: 63
    just2tri - i'm number 183 so you'll not see me in the race (i'll be going backwards from the start![;)]).

Thanks MKA for the tips on lane changing, did wonder how that worked.
    thanks mka....

just2tri...you think you're slow...i'm 156! by the time i finish...you'll be in bar (well if it wasn't soo early you may be [;)])
    brizzichick - I think it works the other way around ... the slow ones go first and I am pretty much at the front!
    my mate is racing as well, logged an 11 minute swim and is 240 odd so not sure what that tells us? is it based on overall time/just swim time?
    i'm not sure...i swim 400 in 9 mins....wot do you guys do and we can work it out from there...maybe????
    Hmmmm, I do the 12 laps (432 meters) in about 9 minutes, so the 400 meters in about 8m 20sec. Combo of crawl and breast stroke ...
    I'm down for 9:45 so must be fastest go first.
  • AVRAVR Posts: 1
    This will be my first race of the season. I went out yesterday and checked out the bike route. It's really flat and has potential to be fast. Just watch out for the potholes and speed bumps in some places.
    cool...thanks for the tip avr....

guys will try and catch up with you after the race....i'll be the one with the red face, looking like i'm dying[:o]