Home Chat General Chat

Hello from a total newbie!

2»

Comments

• diddsdidds Posts: 655
    juleso wrote:

Also, Joe Friel is heavy into Ironman if I recall correctly. You might want to pick up another book aimed at people training for shorter distances, so as not to scare yourself!

a book like "Your First triathlon" maybe. Written by... errr... Joe Friel.

;-)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Your-First-Triathlon-Joe-Friel/dp/1931382859/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241113749&sr=8-5

FTR it doesn't assume anything much more than you can stand up, you have access to a bike of any description, and you don't have a total aversion to water. Its very much a "can do" book. Even though by the time I had read it the training plan was redundant as I was almost upon my first tri (last september) I found it greatly encouraging; to the extent that I tried to get the leisure centre I am a member of to tri (!) and start a beginners tri club and we would use the plan and the book to take complete newbies through to their first tri. It didn't happen for various reasons, but I would still be keen to "run" such a "club" sometime as a sort of extended support group rather than an actual tri club, [Not that I hasten to add I am any good, or a coach (other than a rugby coach!), but more in the spirit of being a facilitator to bring others to this fantastic experience].

I would agree with Jules though (in case it sounds like I've dissed him!) in that The Triathlete's Training Bible is a bit ... open... in its planning stages, but it IS a very readable style and I wouldn't say reading it is worthless. See if you can borrow a copy from the library maybe (its what I did). "Going Long" may be a bit premature at this stage (but of course if you are like Conehead maybe you do need to start reading it now :-)

cheers

didds

• jjleonardjjleonard Posts: 16
    Thanks Didds - I've ordered Coneheads' book and the 'Your First Triathlon' book - thought i'd start at the bottom! [:D] [:D] [:D]
  • Cheryl6162Cheryl6162 Posts: 356
    Read Coneheads - its funny and will get you in the right frame of mind!
  • gavinrigg06gavinrigg06 Posts: 176
    [/quote]

I've quoted your whole post simply because it sums up more directly than I could ever say exactly why I want to get into tri. She Who Must Be Obeyed (from hereon SWMBO) is lightly supportive but I know that she is waiting for this to be just another fad. I've been guilty of these in the past. This, however, feels different. For once I actually want to be in the gym simply because I have a real goal to aim for; one that isn't simply or easily achieved but one that will require effort on my part - a metaphorical mountain to climb, but with a real reward at the top.

I'll get there, and I'll share my steps along the way with the incredibly supportive and informative people on this forum! Thanks!

[/quote]

LOL your SWMBO must know my SWMBO, exactly the same situation, I have had several fads over the years, and started training last July - she was expecting it to phase out before christmas, but to motivate myself I signed up to compete in Tough Guy in January and then 4 sprint tri's for the following year - I have recently completed my first at Mansfield (1:01) and was highly impressed with the support of the other athletes. I am a bit of a loner when it comes to training and this sport is ideal as I am training towards IM distance - Keep up your training, and trust me SWMBO will soon be telling you to stop talking about the sport !!!