Home Chat General Chat

back ache on the bike

shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
For a while now I've been getting severe back pain on the bike. I've been trying to adjust my bike to get a more comfortable position and I'm now at the extremes where I've adjusted that much the saddle is tearing into the gentlemans jewels.

I've been having a browse around the internet and I'm beginnning to think that my stem is far too long or my seat is incorrectly positioned and when I go aero I'm not in the correct position.

This is kinda confirmed when I'm on the turbo and I feel I'm overstretching just to get my elbows onto the bars. I bought a pair of clip on Zipp Carbon Aero's and the felt fine at first but now I'm beginning to think that something is wrong with the set-up.

Is it worth while is investing in a an adjustable stem or one which is considerably shorter than what I have or is it better to look at the seat and work on this. Overall I just think my whole set-up is incorrect.

I will try and put a picture up later, but some general comments would be good.

Comments

• BmanBman Posts: 442
    I would try a shorter stem. I got a shorter one and it defo helped, although my setup still isnt perfect and i have issues with it still. if you are investing decent money in your bike, a pro bike fitting is the only true way to settle it I reckon. One day...
  • I had the same problem, then got a shorter stem and it was fixed overnight. Your concern will be how short to go. A good cycling shop could help you with this if you take your bike in. They might even put an adjustable one on and adjust until it's right, then sell you the correct length.
  • jacjac Posts: 452
    Also..make sure you stretch your hamstrings and maybe get a massage. I got back pain but sorted it by stretching my hams better and working on flexibility.
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Hi Conehead,

I actually think that I'm going to have to take you up on the offer, however I do actually have a crap entry level bike, albeit with a few upgrades.

I read my 220 this evening and I saw a guy had written in with the same prob and he has turned his seat post around. I've just moved my seat as far forward as it will let me and I still feel miles away from the aero bars. I feel really uncomfortable on them and it really hurts on the saddle so something is clearly not right. I had a quick spin and while my adjustment felt better it wasn't right. I don't know if my seat is too high.

I should have bought a triathlon bike instead of a road bike and trying to convert it.
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Of the two bikes I use,it is the road bike that gives me most grief with back pain,it eased when I shifted to a shorter stem as with the other replies above.The other bike is a TT bike with a steeper frame angle,this bike is way more comfortable to use over longer distances.Both bike set ups are very similar,distance from seat nose to bars,top tube to pedal etc,all that is different is the frame angle.

Alot of the pain is related to a crushed spine injury from a rugby scrum collapse.
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    mines is directly related to muay thai boxing when I used to train to fight.

I damaged L1, L2 and was told to give it up but I knew better and carried on and made it a lot worse.

I use a lot of stretches and exercise to keep my back muscles up but the last triathlon was a killer. I had to stand up on the pedals and flex my back which only gave me about 20s of relief. It did hamper my time.

I intend to invest in a decent TT bike but I need to make do for the time being.
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Sorry so late in posting

Have a look at this:

[color=#666600]http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/techctr/bikefit.html[/color]