Home Chat General Chat

Why am I so bad at kicking?

BmanBman Posts: 442
Ok, so my karate and can-can high kicks seem ok, but my swim kick needs work.

During training im fine with my arms going but as soon as we pull the kick boards out, I must be going 3/4 of the pace of everyone else and Im finished after a couple of lengths. I know its about kicking from the hips, not knees, getting leg strength up and working on core strength, but in what order should I prioritise these things? I would love to get a decent kick going so wondering if anyone had suggestions.

Comments

• graham33graham33 Posts: 265
    OMG I know what you mean!

I was swimming normally and a girl swan past me just kicking! I was gutted.

Apparently I have 'runners kick' and struggle to flex my foot!

I hate kicking - but I like open water swimming where I can just drag them along!
  • BmanBman Posts: 442
    Ah good so Im not alone Graham. Thanks for giving me a name for this affliction. I know Ive got terrible ankle flexibility so that makes sense. Well a quick search gave me this http://swimming.about.com/od/freeandback/a/runner_kick.htm
  • al_fordal_ford Posts: 119
    @ Bman - great link. Now I don't have to do drills with a kickboard... phew.

I lose about 1/4 length to the other swimmers on each kicking drill we do . When the drill is over multiple lengths I go nowhere fast after 1 length. Lucky to keep afloat sometimes!
  • GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    Why do you need a strong kick?

Check out some of the Total Immersion ideas.

G
    Gharv, I know what you are saying cos I normally dont use my legs much, and let the wetsuit keep my feet up. I dunno if you ever watch the elites swim, and they are definitely using their legs. I think I just want to find the balance where Im using my legs properly to give me good rotation and not relying on my arms to swim.

A decent kick would also prevent me looking like a chop at the end of training. Al_ford, sounds like you know what Im talking about.
    I was going slowly the other day while kicking, i even had enough time to look back and see how stupid I actually looked. Feet slowly sinking further down as I tried to keep kicking, then I turned around and saw the rest of them at the far end, all waiting for me to get there. oh, the shame! I was told to clench the cheeks and try to keep an imaginary coin in there. Good thing it was imaginary, or the pool would be looking like a wishing well by now.
  • GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    Seriously Bman check out some of the TI ideas and their thoughts on the swim and kick.

It's like aerodynamics for the bike but for swimming - most of what holds us back is our position in the water. Barge v Yachct.

I've used a lot over the last year and whilst i'm no means thw worlds greatest swimmer i'm not at the back of the pack in our tri swims anymore and easy taken a minute or more of my 400m time (6-6.30 arena now).

See this dude shift with little kick and no wetsuit...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqBrmOf-UDc

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Total-Immersion-Terry-Laughlin/dp/0743253434/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241197011&sr=8-1

G
  • jasejase Posts: 47
    The youtube clip is fantastic. The guy is really motoring with next to no kick at all.

My swim teacher recommended using a pool buoy to stop my legs moving irratically and causing loads of drag. Seems to have worked really well and streamlined my whole body in the water

• diddsdidds Posts: 655
    when I have tried to use a pull bouy all that happens is my legs sink [&o]

How does THAT happen/ happens whether I use the PB between my ankles, or knees, or in the crutchal region. [:o]

didds

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Interesting. I find that I get a bit unstable and tend to roll over a bit more. I find it a little bit unnerving.

I've not been brave enough to have a go with my training fins yet.