Home Chat General Chat

Novice, Rookie, Newbie, intermediate?

BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
Just looking for thoughts!

When do you progrerss from a Newbie to the next level? What would be call the next level?

Seems like there are a lot of newbies that are turning into the next level, as they start to race in their first season. My first race is in a little over 2 weeks. I call myself a newbie now but what will I be after?

Comments

• julesojuleso Posts: 279
    Blinkybaz, I would suggest the word 'pending'! For those who have yet to dip a toe in the Triathlon water.

juleso, currently a pending triathlete (until June 6th, after which I hope to be a newbie).
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Conehead wrote:

As a Rookie, I think we're all Rookies in some way. I'm still learning now.

I'm no Newbie - which is why I like Rookie as it perfectly describes anyone from newbie to someone with a few Oly distance under their belt.

A 10hr female ironman athlete friend of mine did the whole of the bike leg on the Trentham middle distance tri with her aero bottle straw sticking out the top of her aero helmet like an antenna! She had put her helmet inbetween her handlebars when she racked her bike - as we all do. This perfectly put the straw into one of the vents in her aero helmet. When she jumped on her bike and got going she just assumed her straw had fallen out, not realising it was pointing straight out of the top of her aero helmet.

How about Michalie Jones running out of Hawaii transition - with someone elses bike and having to run back.

Tim Don 70.3 south africa just gone, gets into change tent - then realises he's grabbed someone elses bag!

So - we're all 'rookies'. Sounds a lot better.

Or Steven the new triathlete who stupidly left his run shoes with his wife instead of transition and only realised during the swim and spent about 3mins telling one of the marshalls that my shoes were not where I needed them!!!

I am a rookie!!

• BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Its a good one Julso, I am a pendign triathlete with only 2 weeks to go1
  • scott_burrowsscott_burrows Posts: 381
    Interesting point..

I’m guessing I can no longer can call myself a virgin.. I’ve done it twice.. only once properly (I only count it once..).. but I kind a experimented with it before.. but that doesn’t count right?? It wasn’t the right situation and I wasn’t really ready for it...

Through all my practicing (often with aids/toys) and simulating (in the shower, trying it while I’m wet) I still manage to be a complete nervous wreck before the actual time to get stuck in comes...

I’ve studied loads of the books and magazines.. spent hours and hours (often after the wife has given up on me and gone to bed) on the internet trying to glean new bits of information and increase my chances of success...

I’ve share all my stories (good and bad experiences) with my forum pals.. I’ve even shown them some photos of me doing it!!!

But the truth of the situation is as much as I think I can do it.. and I really believe I’m a king at doing it.. I suspect I’m nothing more than inexperience, over enthusiastic amateur.. probably going to be shown up by a pretty person with a red carbon shiney thingy...
  • AndreAndre Posts: 103
    Could you possibly up the ante on the innuendo Mr Burrows? I don't think you're quite meeting the requirements!
  • iangriffiangriff Posts: 48
    We could be ROOBIES I suppose.

At least our faces are the right colour!

[:)]

• thebouythebouy Posts: 61
    Have any of you other fellow pending newbies found that you've signed up for your first race,given yourselves a decent while to train, and now can't wait for the big day? I just find that the more training I do, the more I want to do, I've even been looking for races that are sooner than my original planned first race.
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    Been there .... my First Tri was to be the London Sprint Tri ... my first Tri is now on Monday :O .. and I have 2 more before London, depending how the first few go I may well end up doing an Olympic before the yeat is over.

• trevtritrevtri Posts: 39
    yep did one last sunday realy enjoyed it looking for the next one to do in the mids but cant find a pool based one fancy upton on severn one in july or dorney lake but dont want to shell out more dosh on a wetsuit as missus says its cost to much as it is .

any suggestions any one

trev