Home Chat General Chat

helmet and tribar questions

hay guys

i have just come into some money and have 400 quid to spend on a new helmet and tri bars and other equiptment, i have a basic bike it was about 750 pounds with keo sprint pedals, good shoes a blue seventy wet suit and a half decent tri suit, what would you say would be my best investment to get the best times#cheers clare

Comments

• garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    you could invest in a '220 forum buddies' t-shirt. Mine got me down to 1:08:50ish (which was a PB)!!!!!!!

[image]local://2838/EC79E54863174410855312444A88A178.jpg[/image]
  • garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    Scott's is going to get him a PB too....

[image]local://2838/995096BDA2814946886A9CAD17F182FB.jpg[/image]
  • iangriffiangriff Posts: 48
    If you think you could benefit how about spending it on some coaching or training camp?

If not then go for a red helmet they're faster.[:D]

• jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    400 quid is quite a bribe to the timekeepers.

Decent helmet £50

concept aerobars £45

carbon seatpost

profile bottle cage to fit on seatpost.Why have a bottle cage on the frame to disrupt the airflow when they can be hidden behind you.

lightweight saddle.

and still have change to invest elsewhere.
  • squareclaresquareclare Posts: 99
    conehead i would but i have a triathlon on one of the days of the middle distance training!!!

when are the other days???

clare
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    Don't think you need to spend all your dosh. A decent set of bolt on aero bars will set you back £70-100 and a helmet should be as much as you can afford (it's your head you are insuring after all!!), so between £50-100 is not too outrageous.

Also I would think about getting a profile drinks bottle, these sit between your aerobars so the drinking straw is very close to your mouth and encourages you to hydrate more often than you would if your drinks are in cages on the downtube of your frame. Ireally rate these bottles as you can still pedal hard whilst you drink, which you cant really do if your fumbling around for a bottle thats in a cage. The saddle mounted bottles are ok but can be a problem when you're mounting and dismounting your bike as the bottles can snag on your leg.

All in all a decent set of bars, a decent helmet and aero bottle shouldnt cost you any more than £200, even less if you use fleabay....

• Ron99Ron99 Posts: 237
    MG wrote:

All in all a decent set of bars, a decent helmet and aero bottle shouldnt cost you any more than £200, even less if you use fleabay....

Any recommendations for tribars MG?
    Yeah, theres a host of different styles to suit all tastes :

Stubby, straight, s bend, ski bend etc..... I have 'proflie design carbon stryke' these bars a bolt on job and have a very good range of adjustment, they also sit up from your handlebars enough so you can still grip the top flat section of your bars for climbing (most tri bars elbow pads make this difficult).

As you can see from the picture the bars have a "ski" bend, I prefer these as they dont kill my wrists after 5+ hrs........

[image]local://1517/D8B7849C6218467AB1CE4BF305A11659.jpg[/image]
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    Mine are same as the ones above but an older version - great for keeping the bars free when not in aero - only problem is they can rattle a bit once the springs wear on uneaven roads. As MG says though they are versatile.

• Ron99Ron99 Posts: 237
    Nice one. Had only seen the straight and s-bend ones before now, but makes sense to keep the wrists in a more natural position.
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    You may want to look at my posting here about bars

http://forum.220magazine.com/tm.asp?m=20293&mpage=1&key=&#20293

• squareclaresquareclare Posts: 99
    cheers for all the posts guys just bought a new said of profile areobars, an areo bottle, a new helmet and a new shirt.

hears hopeing for a pb
    Bare in mind that you will not be instantly fast and efficient on the aero bars, it takes time to condition yourself to the different riding position.

You will initially feel very "stretched out" and it will feel weird. The steering will feel a touch on the twitchy side and you may also feel that your legs tire a little faster. DONT PANIC!! This is entirely normal and 99% of people go through the same feelings. Persistance is key here, and getting your position assessed by a pro will pay dividends.