Home Chat General Chat

Who said run with no socks? Blister Awareness Post

2»

Comments

• jon_gjon_g Posts: 318
    why doesnt anyone train without socks? what am i missing? on my shorter runs (anything up to half an hour) i'll train without socks. for longer runs i use socks. never get blisters! never ever! i even ran the london marathon this weekend without socks. just takes time for the skin to get used to it. when i get new trainers i smother all the bits i think might rub with bodyglide and do a 15 minute run in them to check theres no rubbing.
  • garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    why doesnt anyone train without socks?

because i have baby-soft skin [;)]
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    I would love to say I was a johnsons baby to! My feat are hard as bloody nails, and I am not boating its a pain sometimes.

Gary whats your secret to soft skin?
  • I have been through several pairs of running trainers and always wear socks. Just cant get used to no socks. T1 - Socks with loads of Talc inside the sock. Only takes 5 seconds to put them on and probably saves me way more than that over the course of the run.
  • squareclaresquareclare Posts: 99
    i used to get blisters all the time but not any more think my feet have got used to the trainers i have now thank god, the best way i used to deal with them is to puncture them and get all the rubbish out then leave the skin to harden over, sounds discusting but really worked for me!
  • gavinrigg06gavinrigg06 Posts: 176
    Jesster wrote:

I ran 10k two days ago and ran the skin off the balls of my feet.

Then i did a 5k fun run yesterday and opened the old blighters up again.

I've trained with no socks for over a year with no drama, why now?! Mama says that when she was a ballerina, her troupe all used surgical spirit to harden the skin for pointe work. graceful like a swan i am not, but maybe mother knows best?

She does make excellent lemon drizzle cake....

Jesster, I can confirm that your mother is indeed correct, although it is not an instant solution - you need soak your feet in SS each day for quite some time, this will toughen up the feet - we used this technique in the "Government Services" when we had to tab rather long distances.
  • PC_67PC_67 Posts: 196
    I agree with Britspin, just wear socks. It's only a few seconds. If you think they look silly just wear those ankle sock things. Pack of 5 is about 3 quid in M&S.

I do like the look of those new yellow Diadora Iron Mythos (?) velcro strapped trainers though. Of course my explanation to my wife for forking out 120 quid on a pair of shoes when I have plenty already is that the velcro will save me a few seconds!

She doesn't know about elastic locklaces.
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    IMHO use vaseline lotion,or handcream or similar,to soften your feet.Surgical spirit may harden your skin in the short term but a more flexible surface will prevent blisters,treat your feet nice.
  • BexHBexH Posts: 226
    Did my first aquathlon tonight and wore socks as have a massive blister from training with Tri club earlier in the week. My mum got me a load of Crane ankle socks from Lidl (love my mum!) which are padded/marked Left and Right and they are great. Better than the Nike ones I got. Because they are quite thick I found them really quick to get on even with wet feet and got no blisters. Cool.
  • jellybellyjellybelly Posts: 42
    Compeed are fab!! Both as a nurse and a girl with a stupid shoe habit I feel confident to state that!

In Boots yesterday I saw this anti-blister stick - useful for training without socks? (anyone tried it?)

http://www.beunstoppable.co.uk/range/default.aspx