Home Chat General Chat

Wetsuit drama

JessterJesster Posts: 482
Due to my changing shape i've decided to hold off buying a tri-specific wetsuit until before my OD in july. Can anyone see any issues with training in my surfing one until then?

I know that tri specific ones have a more smooth finish. Exactly HOW else do they differ? The tri ones i've seen dont appear to have much more flex in the shoulder than my usual wetsuits, am i wrong? Has anyone on here raced in a non tri specific suit? and if so, how was it?

Really all this boils down to trying to save money....!

Comments

• dangermousedangermouse Posts: 28
    When it comes down to it, there's nothing that will stop you being able to complete the distance in your surfing wetsuit.

Having worn countless surfing wetsuits over the years though I can tell you there are a few differences above the slick surface you've already mentioned. In particular the shoulder area in swimming wetsuits are MUCH more flexible than in other suits. Whereas most surfing wetsuits will use 2mm-3mm neoprene, swimming suits will use 1.5mm which makes a big difference to the catch and pull phases of your stroke. Over distance the effect on your stamina is noticeable!

Additionally, even on the most basic swimming wetsuits, there are several chances to neoprene thickness all over your body. As well as allowing better freedom of movement, these also position your body better in the water by adding bouyancy. In a surf suit there is a tendancy to have a body position that will mean you're dragging yourself through the water more. As they're designed more for lying/standing on a surf board, they're more concerned with keeping you warm than being a faster/more efficient swimmer.

All in all though, you'll still get 'round the course just fine (just not as easily, or as quickly) but do make sure your surf suit fits tightly otherwise the water will gather in the suit making you slower.

Hope this helps!
  • diddsdidds Posts: 655
    Jesster wrote:

Due to my changing shape i've decided to hold off buying a tri-specific wetsuit until before my OD in july. Can anyone see any issues with training in my surfing one until then?

not personal experience though 2nd person reports (as well as stuff i have read) is that surfing/diving wetsuits are thicker around the shoulder/armpit areas, and the seams are cut differently. The bottom line is that this in effect means rather than working WITH the arms/shoulders (in FC) for swimming, it actually makes it very hard . One morning last year I got out the lake and saw a guy siting looking a bit flaky. I checked if he was Ok and he told me he was fine but he'd just swum in his surfing wetuit - his first OW swimminfg experience - and his shoulders "were on fire". He asked how the hell the rest of us could just peel off 750m laps and get out looking fresh...

Your mileage may vary of course. Its probably all down to the cut and makeup of your suit.

appreciate the £££ reasons fully of course.

didds