Home Chat General Chat

First Tri

well this time tomorrow I will have done my first sprint in Cardiff and I am ridicously excited - last time I was this excited I was 6 and it was Christmas -

no hang on I lie it was the morning I got my Giant OCR and wanted to go and ride it[:D]

know there are a few forum bods going to be there as well so good luck guys - yippppppeee

Comments

• garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    Hi Miss Moonshine

I'm excited for you! Have a great day tomorrow, good luck! [:D]

P.S. Let us know how it goes..
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Well, have a fab time - and be sure to report back - a blow by blow account! Good luck!
  • My second tri tomorrow in cardiff, gook luck moonshine. See you there
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    All the best for the race :D - look forward to seeing your results and feedback.
  • scott_burrowsscott_burrows Posts: 381
    Best of luck Moonshine..
  • just2trijust2tri Posts: 198
    Enjoy and have a great time Moonshine! Just think of the treats and celebration afterwards ...
    Come on then .... How did you get on ? :D
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 335
    ok this now confirms that I have a triathlon problem, 11 weeks ago my target 2hrs 15mins yesterday managed 1 hr 34mins 21 secs and I was disappionted in myself!!!!!! 85th overall and the other half beat me by 4 mins 9 secs grrrrr knew I shouldn't have given ino his demands for me to help him with training though the time difference was all in the swim which he's always been good at though he was 83rd

So have given myself a stern talking to this morning

Cardiff don't give you transition times so breakdown

swim 13m 13s overall 89th

bike 51m 32s overall 84th

run 29m 39s overall 79th

Driving around both routes night before was good barr the realisation that I'd probably managed to pick one of the biggest hills to bike up for a first tri attempt and we had to do it twice- I'm sticking to 3/4 of bike route being up. Ate well slept badly I was soooo excited like a kid before Christmas. Up at 5.30, at start 6.30 setting up transition very calming despite HRM stating HR 120[:-]

swim Have had better days in a pool, crawl went to pot for 2 reasons - HR too high, had put sunscreen on face and yes the goggles flooded so the short period of time I've managed crawl the muscle memory went out of the window so back to breaststroke sigh, should know that this hapens it happens with masks when you SCUBA and always warn new divers

Bike Chain hopped off bottom ring on first loop but got it back on and managed to pass someone from my swim wave who was out of the water over 3min infront of me[:D] The steep downhill was great and I wasn't hanging onto the brakes like a demon as I would have done 11 weeks ago and didn't get of and push up any hills

Run didn't walk once, only saw 4 other runners all in swim waves after me

transitions ok though for some reason completely forgot where my helmet harness clip was in T2 even heard someone pre race start looking at my T area and saying 'oh that's a good idea' and trotting off to set up hers the same barr the bright pink towel

looking at results the lasses in the same swim wave as me who put in faster swim times I managed better bike and run times

once other half over the finish neither of us had any idea who had been faster he'd been too busy chatting to the swim marshal as they realised they knew each other to push his start button and I hit the stop time rather than the lap button with my Garmin and didn't spot it and then forgot that it was on multisport so transitions went on for ever and then get wiped when you download!!!

up this morning like a lark desperate to get training again

plot is find bigger pool and keep plodding on getting the muscle memory there as well as OW practice and yes Conehead I know and booking in will have to wait til payday on 20th[:D]

intervals on bike and run to improve speed

London 12 weeks time but looking for one inbetween now!!!!!

Great to meet the other forum members who did lots better than me

onward and upward
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 335
    oops forgot to say organisation and general helpfuness of everyone at Cardiff defintely makes it a good place to start -

my swim marshall - she's mine after all the support she gave me - sat on lane 1 which was the slowest time for each wave she knew your name and encouraged you on every length

marshalls out on course cheered and clapped you everytime they saw you could have kissed everyone of them but would have made me even slower

proudly drinking tea out of her Cardiff tri finishers mug[:D]
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Excellent. Sounds like you did very well - and learned a lot in to the bargain.

Worth getting the bike serviced by a good LBS, if you don't have the skills in-house.

Nice one Moonshine :D - great result and good to see you setting your heights even highre for the next one or two or three ;)

• gdh250467gdh250467 Posts: 237
    Well done Moonshine, and Ministryofsound, good to meet up with both of you on Sunday. I'm sure our paths with cross at a future event.
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Moonshine - I now think of you as the queen of the forum. Thats a fantastic time you put in. If you wernt slightly disapointed with something then you wouldnt push harder next time to be better!

Weel done !!!