Home Chat General Chat

Hill Help...

...I am a newbie to Tri with my first event in 2 weeks. Fortunately that is a flat bike course (at Eton) but I need some advice on hills.

I live in Surrey and many of the bike training routes around here are in the Surrey Hills and I find I struggle on them...big time.

I think I have a decent base level of fitness (recently did 2 hr 1/2 marathon) and am enjoying the biking. I am fine doing the km's but when the gradient gets a bit steep I struggle...so

Tips please to improve greatfully recieved, e.g. should i be doing squats or similar to build my quads?

I do have a turbo so any drills on that would be useful...

..of course all the above would be in addition to just riding them some more and dealing with the pain [;)]

Thanks

Comments

• iangriffiangriff Posts: 48
    Ultimately nothing beats the real thing.

Ride them hills, it's a free ride back down and great buzz.

[X(]

• julesojuleso Posts: 279
    Presumably you've tried changing your gear to something really low and taking it nice and steady? You don't have to keep your speed up. I wonder if this could be where you're going wrong.

• MGMG Posts: 470
    http://forum.220magazine.com/tm.asp?m=35208

Try this link, the strength session is what you wanna look at, you'll have quads like Hoy in no time........

• shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    I asked the same question a while back. The answer given to me was to make sure my bum was planked on the seat, and attack the hill. Yes your legs will hurt like hell but its the only way mate.

If you've got a turbo then best to pile the miles on that. there's been a few threads recently,page 5 prob that will give you a programme.

The best way is to drop the gear slightly and attack, keeps the legs moving and do not stop. Then once your comfortable with this, drop it another gear and so on. This is what I've done and I feel I'm getting better at attacking the hills.
  • Scott WScott W Posts: 51
    Thanks for the feedback, sounds like more Surrey Hill work is the order of the day (or just do tris with a flat bike course) [:D]
  • MowfMowf Posts: 272
    Ignore my previous post.

• Scott WScott W Posts: 51
    Mowf wrote:

Am I the only one who noticed that he said he did a 2 1/2 hour marathon? That is serious, serious running.

You'll shit all over that course mate. What sort of run you hoping to knock out?

Ha Ha, I wish !!!

It was a 2 hr 1/2 marathon (i.e. a half marathon in 2 hours!)

I can but dream [:(]