Home Chat General Chat

Bike Speed?

Too many factors to figure in to the ''am I crap'' equation.Look at it at a slightly different angle and ask your self why you keep averaging 15mph.As you get fitter you should be able to maintain a higher speed for a given heart rate than you did when you first started.If your time is limited you could try these variations.

Do your bike ride at the same heart rate.make note of hr,ave speed,ave cadence for ride.

Do your ride at a slightly higher speed,(try to increase by 1 mph),make note of ave hr,ave cadence.

Do your ride maintaining a steady cadence, try to stay in the same gear,about 80rpm is usual for most triathletes,again make notes,on ave hr and ave speed.

there you have 3 variables for the same ride.If you have more time,do shorter rides with high speed intervals,this will encourage your body to learn and adapt to go faster.

Best of luck.

Comments

• handangeohandangeo Posts: 32
    New to all this but have been doing my usual sunday bike run

and always seem to average 15mph the course i usually do is average

hill wise but is pretty exposed and is sometimes like a wind tunnel.Is this

15mph average crap or what?

• jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Conehead wrote:

yeah thats total garbage. Give up now.

And not even an invite to the ''Go faster Rookie day'' Business must be good.
    Well i have only been training for my first OT since end of jan, gone from doing 8 miles on my first outing to 45 miles today - so endurance wise i'm happy enough as i have signed up for HIM in august aswell. Its the wind that kills me as today I was quicker uphill than downhill it was so breezy!
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    What sort of bike?

What happens to you heart rate? (or, how much effort does it tak when compared to running - easy, hard, the same?)

Do you have any reasonable hills on the route?

Are you in the highest gear all the way round - how fast are you pedaling?

• TTX PROTTX PRO Posts: 225
    ide say 15mph is a good steady pace
  • clarkey30clarkey30 Posts: 270
    15 mph over a 45 mile course is good mate. was that alone too? as clubs will go out at 24 - 26 mph but in a big group!

have you tried interval stuff too, little 10 mile sessions flat out killing yourself?
    clarkey30 wrote:

15 mph over a 45 mile course is good mate. was that alone too? as clubs will go out at 24 - 26 mph but in a big group!

have you tried interval stuff too, little 10 mile sessions flat out killing yourself?

Yes 45 Miles on my todd!. Am switching to hard interval sessions next week. Recommend any splits?

• shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    what is meant by the 10, 15 25 etc TT's?

Is this where you go as hard and fast as you can possibly manage over that set distance?
  • 10 mile flat out TT's dont sound like a whole lot of fun but then maybe that's the point?

I'm getting the same problem with getting stuck in the 15-16mph average speed rut. Wondering if I should try and develop more power but not too sure how to go about it I've got more power workouts for the turbo trainer but I refuse to go to my shed of pain when the sun's out.

Considering renting a powermeter and seeing what my average is on my normal route's and trying to squeeze out a couple more watts a week.

Any better ideas?......Any......Any at all

• jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Hill sprint reps,upping the gear for each rep.
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Would really need to have a feel for what your current training was, what kit you have etc.

Basically, to go faster you need 1) more power 2) be able to apply that power.

How much time do you spend in the biggest gear?

If it is 100% then it might be time to get a bigger gear - or a new bike!

if not, then you can work at trying to use a bigger gear for more of the time - but, and this is key, keep the cadence the same (or thereabouts)

The bigger gear is what makes you go faster. The power is what you need to turn the bigger gear.

To get more power you need a good Cardio Vascular system, and big powerful quads/glutes. Hills, turbo work, possibly some weights - are good for this - trundling along the flat, stopping at traffic lights and junctions, or going down hill don't really help.

On a bike, things like Wind Resistance, really have a dramatic effect - so form can be important - but, then, again, a good headwind is a bit like going up a good hill - great for training if not in a race.

The bike is also a machine - it can be in inefficient - not just weight, but how rigid it is, aerodynamics, have a dramatic effect. You (and your position) are the biggest factor for aerodynamics/drag, followed by wheels).

Really, the simple answer is pedal harder! And it is supposed to hurt.

• zulu158zulu158 Posts: 3
    Have a look at http://etd.lsu.edu/docs/available/etd-11112004-093751/unrestricted/Cheramie_thesis.pdf

it's basically a university study into the effects of anaerobic vs aerobic interval training on 4k pursuit performance.

Try incorporating elements of the study into your training and hopefully you will notice an improvement in your performance.